PDA

View Full Version : Gate Check protection

Tarkus
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I know I will hear about how "anal" I am about my Segways, but I have finished my "Gate Check Condom" for air travel.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/DSCF0004-2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/DSCF0005-4.jpg

With 12.0 bag for added protection.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/DSCF0002-7.jpg

Zip on and off fast and the HT will operate with the bar covers in place. All Marine Grade canvas & zippers.

Be Big,
Alan

Hwy1Glider
03-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Nice job, Tark. I promote safe Segs!

outside
03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Good work. I don't think you are anal, just wise. Looks great.

gbrandwood
03-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Alan, do you not protect the fenders in any way? I guess they're the easiest to replace but also the ugliest to break.

Sal
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I believe having the handles there on the gearboxes is one of the best precautions we as Seg owners can take to avoid unnecessary damage to our beloved Segways.

The handles provide an obvious place for the "throwers" to hold the machine, instead of basic trial and error, which has caused tragedy in many instances.

-Sal

P.S. I don't have handles, but I haven't flown with my Segway yet... on a plane at least :-P

Tarkus
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Alan, do you not protect the fenders in any way? I guess they're the easiest to replace but also the ugliest to break.

Fenders must fend for themselves, pardon the pun.
There is no way to protect them and keep the HT rolling.

It's the CS and Bars that can be the most costly and hardest to get.

So far I've only had a broken rim, I keep the fingers crossed.

Be Big,
Alan

gbrandwood
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I believe having the handles there on the gearboxes is one of the best precautions we as Seg owners can take to avoid unnecessary damage to our beloved Segways.I never thought of that, Sal. Good point. I'm definitely looking to get some handles (read lower cargo system) as soon as someone will take my money for them.

gbrandwood
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Fenders must fend for themselves, pardon the pun. There is no way to protect them and keep the HT rolling.I see. Your Segway does look pretty cute though. It looks like it's being wrapped up for the cold weather. Perhaps its cuteness helps ensure it gets a gentle ride? ;)

Tarkus
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I believe having the handles there on the gearboxes is one of the best precautions we as Seg owners can take to avoid unnecessary damage to our beloved Segways.

The handles provide an obvious place for the "throwers" to hold the machine, instead of basic trial and error, which has caused tragedy in many instances.

-Sal

P.S. I don't have handles, but I haven't flown with my Segway yet... on a plane at least :-P

No question. The first time I went to pick it up instinct brings your hands to the fenders.

The handles were money well spent.

Be Big,
Alan

wwhopper
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I think just gate checking the platform, with the XT handles attached and taking off the handlebar is the way to go.

That old America Tourister commercial where the gorrilla throws around the suitcase, is nothing compared to what the damaged machines we get in from our three local airports. (having a dealership owner that was one of USAirways top pilots for umpteen odd years gets us a lot of airport business)

The only machines I have seen beat up worse was the one that was run over by a school bus here in DC!

Check those segs very carefully when you fly guys! And please, leave your LiOns at home, and travel only with your NiMH's.

dave
03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
There is a company that sells tube covers for packing bicycles in boxes.

This may be useful for those looking for protection for their Segway.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_cover.htm

KSagal
03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Ever since I saw that first photo of the handlebar protections, I could not help but think it looks like Princess Lea from Star Wars...

Suzined
03-20-2007, 06:17 PM
WWHopper suggested "...just gate checking the platform, with the XT handles attached and taking off the handlebar is the way to go." Sounds like a very practical approach except.... I can just see me trying to fish the connectors out of the base after a baggage handler was thoughtful enough to stuff them in hard so they wouldn't get damaged. 'Specially at the bottom of the jetway as the crew is trying for a record breaking departure over the top of me. Any thoughts?

Tarkus
03-20-2007, 11:23 PM
WWHopper suggested "...just gate checking the platform, with the XT handles attached and taking off the handlebar is the way to go." Sounds like a very practical approach except.... I can just see me trying to fish the connectors out of the base after a baggage handler was thoughtful enough to stuff them in hard so they wouldn't get damaged. 'Specially at the bottom of the jetway as the crew is trying for a record breaking departure over the top of me. Any thoughts?

Exactly the reason I wrap it up the best I can, ride it to the plane, then let it go into the hold, CS and all.

As you say if I had to do the bend at the aircraft door I would just leave the thing at home.

They break it, they pay for it.

Be Big,
Alan

Tarkus
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Well American Airlines "broke my horse's foot" !

Smashed wheel 2 busted fenders.
I'll post pics when I get back. If not for the "top end" padding and bag it would have been a CS and Bars also.

It should fare better then "Barbaro"!!

Be Big,
Alan

PS-there are no segs anywhere on Grand Cayman