PDA

View Full Version : Nonlethal Protection

Sal
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Here's the originating thread:
http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=14718

My comment is that when we are all faced with decisions regarding how to react when an animal or human attacks, unless we have experience in handling situations like this, or have the wherewithal to measure force / response... we don't really know how we'll react.

Even if some of us carry pepper spray, stun guns, etc... we never really know how where we are and how we're feeling has on our response / reactions.

We all want to glide safely and return home in one piece...

I shared my experience with a dog biting my ankle, and only after the incident, I was told by an avid biker, that he would have jumped off the bike, and put the bicycle in between himself and the dog until help came. I didn't think of that at all. Luckily my yells got the attention of the dog owner after the bite had already been taken.

-Sal

Timezkware Tim
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Sal,

I found what seems to be a humane way to repel nasty dogs. I don't know if it works, but if I had to deal with stray dogs on my glides, and there was a money back gaurantee, I'd try it. It emits an uncomfortable hi frequency sound for 20 bucks: http://www.tbotech.com/dog-repeller.htm

Tim

hellphish
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
my 2 cents:

If someone is comfortable with the idea of placing their hands on me while I'm on the street, I am equally comfortable with the idea of spraying chemicals into their eyes and face.

As far as the word "glide" goes, the verb "to glide" and all of its various conjugations have been figured out a long time ago, long before Dean Kamen was even born. I suggest you all use the words that appear in the dictionary instead of making up innane participles like "glode," "glidden," or "glid." Just a suggestion, of course. You could choose to sound like an illiterate adult on an electric scooter.

gbrandwood
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I have found that not washing for days is usually enough to keep people (and all but the most curious animals) away. :)

IcanGlide
02-28-2007, 03:43 PM
My biggest problem for several years is dogs. I was at a gas station one time filling up when a man pulling a small trailer drove up to the pumps on the opposite side from me. Chained in the trailer was a large Rottweiler. I knew my walking by him would crank him off, so I avoided eye contact with him and kept my distance from him on my way into the store, plus, I went by on the far end of the trailer from him. On my return trip by, however, as soon as I stepped out of the store, that dog lunged at me with his mouth wide open, and he was immediately at the end of the chain. I never broke stride but continued walking to my truck. The dog's owner jumped out of the truck yelling such things at the dog as "You know better than that!!" The dog backed down. But I thought on the way home, all I had to fend him off was my walking stick. So now I carry a quick opening knife for my left hand, and of course my cane for the right hand.

But now that I am Segging, that knife is on the wrong side. I carry ammonia in my right hand. The stun gun sounds like something I could use and will probably get very soon.

I do not gain any pleasure by hurting any animal, but I'm not going to be a pin cushion for one either.

Frank

pam
02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
I personally think that joking around about glide and glode and glidden, etc., is just that, joking around, and indicative of someone with a sense of humor who doesn't take themselves too seriously.
Pam

my 2 cents:

As far as the word "glide" goes, the verb "to glide" and all of its various conjugations have been figured out a long time ago, long before Dean Kamen was even born. I suggest you all use the words that appear in the dictionary instead of making up innane participles like "glode," "glidden," or "glid." Just a suggestion, of course. You could choose to sound like an illiterate adult on an electric scooter.

KSagal
02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm with Pam on this one. I glide all over the place. If I comment on having glode to here or there, it is with humor and is reserved for this forum. I am unlikely to stand in a public assembly and speak of having glidded to it...

As far as being an illiterate adult on an electric scooter, I ain't neither, and it ain't one either!

Desert_Seg
02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Me thinks that as I glode to the market tonight that I must have been a frightful sight to see on my electric scooter.

Of course, how could you tell once I had glidden by if I was on an electric or gas powered scooter?

Why, because I was a silent phantom out for an evening stroll, err I mean glide.

I glide...you glide...we all glide for _______________

Steven

TX2Wheels
02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I have only been a member for a few months. It is sad the way some responses that are written in this forum. There is from time to time snide or derogatory comments about the topic. They seem out of place with what is being discussed, as with this topic. Why does every thing written in here so scrutinized as to spelling, your intelligence.
Just be nice and stay with the topic. Be CIVILIZED PLEASE

hellphish
02-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I have only been a member for a few months. It is sad the way some responses that are written in this forum. There is from time to time snide or derogatory comments about the topic. They seem out of place with what is being discussed, as with this topic. Why does every thing written in here so scrutinized as to spelling, your intelligence.
Just be nice and stay with the topic. Be CIVILIZED PLEASE

I will if you will, buddy.

Ack! You guys are making my eyes bleed! :) As far as my tone goes, like pam says, we like to joke around here. Not everyone understands my style of joking, just as not everyone understands Mr. L's philisophical ramblings.

Anyway, to contribute to the topic: I always keep my pepperspray in the front pouch of my handlebar bag. Everytime I go gliderating, I take it from the pouch and put it either in my right jacket pocket or my right pants pocket. Everytime I'm around people I don't 100% trust, my hand is right there in my pocket with my thumb flicking the safety back and forth. Seems kinda extreme, but its what I have to do to feel comfortable. I am with Karl in that words and wit are the best line of defense, but it doesn't hold back everyone, like the group of 5 boys who assaulted me.

Timezkware Tim
02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Emoticons were invented to assist internet writers for a reason; it's easy to misinterpret people sometimes online. I'm glad we're all joking around, though. I just fininshed a temporary job working with some people with no sense of humor, and it was pretty dull.

I also have a great way to deal with dogs that makes me laugh. I can't say that it will work with an angry dog, but it stops most dogs in their tracks: a novelty squeeze horn.

Those of you who have squeeze horns know that it sounds just like a dog toy, and most dogs seem to have the same reaction, they freeze and just stare for about 3 seconds. That is usually enough time for me to have gladed well past them, lol.

Tim

citivolus
02-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Dogs are easy, just squirt them in the face with a big ole can of cheese wiz! Heck, if I could get spray peanut butter, I could keep any dog busy long enough to escape on the black key. :p

Worm
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Dogs are easy, just squirt them in the face with a big ole can of cheese wiz! Heck, if I could get spray peanut butter, I could keep any dog busy long enough to escape on the black key. :p
That is the most original and simplest thing I've ever heard of in dealing with a dog.

But, when you ride by him next time, isn't he going to come running after you for more cheese wiz? (I guess he'll have a smile on his face this time though)

hellphish
03-01-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm sensing a Segway mod coming on.

Timezkware Tim
03-01-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm sensing a Segway mod coming on.
If a mod comes on and tries anything, just squirt some cheeze whiz at them.

Tim

Sal
03-01-2007, 07:38 AM
If a mod comes on and tries anything, just squirt some cheeze whiz at them.

Tim

:D I don't wanna get a face full of cheez wiz.... but I think what hellphish meant was a Segway MODification.

-Sal

pam
03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Yeah, if I can fit a 32 oz cold drink into the side pockets of the handlbar bag on the 12, you all can fit a can of cheese whiz in :).
Pam

hellphish
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, I meant a modification. But I guess cheez wiz would be pretty pimp.

KSagal
03-01-2007, 01:10 PM
What is the range of Arisol cheese anyway? I am wondering if this technology can be combined with those air horns that have a plastic air tank that fits into the cup holder.

You load up the tank with some soft cheese, I like brie, then pump it up to about 100 pounds. A good blast may get dogs in the entire block!

IcanGlide
03-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm for anything that will keep the dog off my arse, but giving him something that he will probably like doesn't seem to be the key. Perhaps if I hit him with the can.....

Or...maybe a Limburger cannon?

Frank

KSagal
03-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Or...maybe a Limburger cannon?

Frank

Anyone who owns a dog, or has even watched one for any length of time will find that it is not an easy task to offend a dog's sense of smell. They seem to find it amusing to involve themselves in odors that would knock your socks off...

I like the idea, however... Maybe that cannon can be fired into the offending home owners car, or house, every time their dog intrudes on your space.

Skunks do seem to tip the balance into the common offensive nature of both man and beast. If you had a skunk cannon on your seg, it would likely deter just about anything with a nose. (You could feed the brie to the skunk to keep it happy till you load the cannon...)

IcanGlide
03-01-2007, 01:50 PM
That would definitely work. Back when I was living at home (many moons ago), one of our dogs cornered a skunk under our carport. Dad woke me up about 3am looking for the rifle and I followed him to the carport door. He positioned the rifle down towards the door, opened the door quickly and fired, killing the skunk. The dog finally calmed down, but we scrubbed stink off of that carport for a month.

I said, "Dad, next time, kill the dog. The skunk will leave on his own."

Frank

gbrandwood
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I have one of these (surprise :rolleyes:) and although it is too big to carry around on a Segway all the time, it does collapse. It's an Airzooker (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=567&src_t=sbk&src_id=airzooker):

http://www.firebox.com/pic/p567h.jpg (http://www.firebox.com/pic/p567b.jpg)
(click picture for a close up!)

By pulling it's rubber band back, aiming and letting go, it makes a loud bang and fires a shot of harmless air in its general direction up to 20ft away. It would scare most muts off and failing that, you could always belt them with it if under attack! :eek:

hellphish
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Gareth, you need to stop shopping at thinkgeek :)

gbrandwood
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I can't help it... LOL!

KSagal
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I brought back a pair of those for my kids on my last business trip... They were a blast. I never tried it on the dog, but it works well on the 3 year old, and better on the 7 year old...LOL

A couple of blasts from that, and they really do go ask their mother instead of me... LOL

I just bought a powerball on ebay... It has not arrived yet, but it brought up an item I had years ago...

It was a ball with a wacked out gyro in it, and you could turn it on, and it would skitter all over the place. Very unpredictable. The dog could not get enough, or had to leave the room. It could not just let the thing alone...

I wonder if you could launch a small barage of these freaky balls at an attacking dog, kind of like flak, and make your getaway...