PDA

View Full Version : Segway video on youtube

Segway Shawn
02-09-2007, 12:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVk81VnGUQ
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVk81VnGUQ)

singman
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Totally awesome Video!! Makes me wish I had bought an XT!!

Sharkie
02-09-2007, 01:30 AM
You only posted this is 3 forums??? I'm sure with a little creative thinking you could have found a way to post it in more than that!

Honestly, I think ONE link would have been plenty. On some of the forums I've been on, that sort of stunt would get you a lifetime ban!

Jim

ryan_walters
02-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Yes, but remember, three posts is three times more advertising than one.

Segway Shawn
02-09-2007, 02:54 AM
It shows some of our Tours, we have Segways for sale, and its something to discuss. Some folks never check another topic and its easy "not" to click on the subject if you have seen it, or if you choose a "personal" ban of my posts.

I guess we do push the envelope a bit....at least were not haters that have knee jerk reactions and call for lifetime bans on people. "Jim". :rolleyes:

gbrandwood
02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Hmm. I just saw, and posted on this in another forum. Doh!

Socrates
02-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't know why Segway Shawn just "found" this video on YouTube; he made it. Otherwise I would call this a case of morbus Alzheimer. I would prefer to post advertisings in the buy and sell section only.

The video itself is cool, I didn't know that You can go upstairs on a X2 - at least it's possible with two stairs.

Alex.

JohnM
02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Awesome indeed.

A definite 'must see' for any city contemplating restrictions on Segway tours.

Cube128
02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Afraid I have to agree a bit with John on this one. XTs going very fast on sidewalks would certainly send the wrong message on how Segways are supposed to be used.

ArtL
02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I also agree with John. This is really not a good thing.

Looks to me like you went through the safety video and then did everything that INC very rightly said was unsafe, and that you should never do. The disclaimer at the beginning will not hinder fans of the "Jackass" movies from trying the same stunts.

hellphish
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Seriously? An XT being used outdoors... is unsafe? Maybe I should read my manual better.

ArtL
02-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Seriously? An XT being used outdoors... is unsafe? Maybe I should read my manual better.
No, the XT being ridden off ledges (looks like about a 2.5 ft drop) forward and backward, with and without hands on the handlebars; being ridden down stairs; ridden with one wheel on the ground and the other on a ramp.

What's unsafe about any of that, and that doing any of those things would give ammunition to the anti-Segway crowd, should be inherently obvious to the most casual observer.

gbrandwood
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
It is showing extreme use of the Segway. It has a big warning at the beginning. The video is cool. Anyone with half a brain will figure out that what they are doing is unsafe. The anti-segway crowd will make nothing of it - what would their case be? If that was their only case against us, we wouldn't be having such a tough time getting things legalised.

gbrandwood
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Awesome indeed.Agree. :)
A definite 'must see' for any city contemplating restrictions on Segway tours.Disagree. :confused: I'm sure cities contemplating restricting Segways DO NOT spend all their time trawling through youtube. I'm pretty sure the "professionals" in the video were not on a tour.

Do videos of bmx tricks, skateboarding tricks, any kind of tricks being performed actually do anything other to make people think: "Cool" or "Stupid". I don't think they jump to the conclusion "Watching that video on YouTube, it's plain to see those Segway scooters are unsafe, we must ban them".

JimNPHX
02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Wow . . . so we have to live in a "Segway" bubble and glide under it's capabilities just because? Don't you think it is up to the operator and not the machine? You can drive a car off a bridge if you wanted to. Would the cities and governments ban the cars?
I glide my seg to and from campus, and on campus every day. I am overly cautious while on campus because:
1. It is a madhouse and you just need to
2. I know all eyes are on me
BUT . . . I also go and have fun with it at the proper times and places. If I had to just use it it going 5 m/h and only in a straight line, you would see my segways up for sale.
I think this is a great video showing the capabilities of the X2. I WANT ONE NOW! Why would a (non-business) user buy an X2 if not to take advantage of what it could do? Heck an i2 can handle many a dirt path/trail. So "off-roading" could be done with either. It is the fact that the X2 can do more than the i2 which is what this video is showing. Now if this was done in front of city hall then I could understand the concern. Let's not let go of the fact that a segway can be a lot of fun! To some it may just mean going to and from work. To others . . .

Shawn, cool video. Of course now I hate you because I want an X2 even more!:D

Hey everyone, seg owners/dealers are not the ones we should be fighting with!

Just my $0.02

Jim

Desert_Seg
02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Remember back to the Disney post a few days ago?

Well guess what, this is the type of video that can be shown for folks to see "unsafe" segging. And it was shot by a dealer.

Remember the video a few days back of the "caped crusader" flying off the Segway?

Another example of unsafe gliding, shot by an owner.

While these types of videos are educational (sometimes) and fun to shoot, they also are easy to use evidence of poor and unsafe segging behavior.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with posting it...just be aware of the possible repercussions.

Steven

Tarkus
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Remember back to the Disney post a few days ago?

Well guess what, this is the type of video that can be shown for folks to see "unsafe" segging. And it was shot by a dealer.

Remember the video a few days back of the "caped crusader" flying off the Segway?

Another example of unsafe gliding, shot by an owner.

While these types of videos are educational (sometimes) and fun to shoot, they also are easy to use evidence of poor and unsafe segging behavior.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with posting it...just be aware of the possible repercussions.

Steven

Agreed Dan, well said.

Be Big,
Alan

ArtL
02-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Agreed Dan, well said.

Be Big,
Alan
Exactly my point, but spoken much more clearly.

polo_pro
02-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I spoke about this issue of judging other people's presentation of segways last month in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=14489 . I use terms like "policing" and "self appointed authority" to get people thinking about whether this activity is appropriate now (and under what conditions it'll no longer be a needed or appropriate).

I'll take a moment to say that people who want to say I'm for or against some aspect of this discussion should make sure to read my WHOLE post. Don't just skim it and say, "Oh, plo agrees with me."

This is a complex topic...that's why I waited till my 1000th post before taking it on.

KSagal
02-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I think the video was fun. I also think that there are lots of people who do not like fun. And they hate to see others having fun...

I also think there were some inappropriate things in the video for most seggers to do. I believe it was a great advertising tool, in that it shows what can be done on a segway x2, even if it should not be done.

As far as exposing the segway to unfavorable legislation, I believe that there is the potential for that. Of course, there were other unflattering videos before this, and if a person wanted to do a Google search for video to support their hatred of segs, or their love of segs, the video is already out there...

I own several mountain bikes. This video is tame. Try doing a search for some extream biking, even world class competitions on the sides of mountains, and you will have no problem finding a video that would have anti bike groups clammoring to ban bikes from town as well, if that were their intention...

I agree with the warning about making videos that make the enemies of segway have an easy time proving their point, but I am not sure if this is that video... What I see here is a bunch of off road segs doing extream segging, not unlike what the same group might do with off road bikes.

If you compare it to quad runners, the impact is much more favorable. I believe that what these guys were doing is more in that class of activity than in the commuter range. They do not tear up the trail, nor make the noise nor the smell of quad runners.

If someone wants to be negative, they will, this video or not. For us to try to fear that this video will become the "standard of behaviour" that all seggers are going to be held to is a bit overreaching.

The above is my personal opinion. Now, for my other hat...

I believe that much of the video was fine, and I was not offended by some of the drops and the like, but there were several unsafe activities that were also videoed, like the hands free drops, and some of the stair issues, as well as some time on sidewalks. These things I believe should have had a stronger warning against. There are standards of behaviour that are in the safety video, and other presentations from the manufacturer. I believe that we should adhear to those standards, or make if very clear that we are acting outside of the suggestions of the manufacturer. I think the pre warning in the front will be largely overlooked, and for some of the most extream stunts, where text was added, it would have been better to add some disclaimers as well...

SEG America does not condone nor encourage illegal nor reckless behaviour on a segway.

Segway Shawn
02-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Segway inc promotes, and is "safety first" always. We know that, we also know that people that ride Segways are sometimes seen as "Geeks" "Kooks" "Nerds" etc, etc. Why is that? because as dealers we market "Safety" redundantly.

Price, and the "safety" points have made it a "Not so fun" transportation device. Mostly being used by adults going to work, or advertising, or wearing orange vests and looking like a bunch of ducks in a row following the leader on some sort of tour. How fun! We all know it really is fun, it just looks goofy.

As dealers we need to market to the "extreme" consumer the same way we market to the "mobility minded" users, and the commercial users.

We at Segway New Mexico realize that safety is an issue for every Segway Dealer, we promote safety...we tell people the machine is not made for this, don't try this or that. We also make sure we film in areas that are clear of pedestrians, on sunday mornings etc.

We are in a Segway friendly state with a Governor and Mayor that not only uses and promotes the use of Segway, they approve of the Segway being used in the cities, parks, and bike paths in a way to help promote tourism.

There is not a "jackASS" stunt in the whole video.

Ok, Whos next?....Whatch You Ghat? C'mon...there are lots of people like use out there with cameras and music. Dig it out, upload it and show the world how Segways are COOL!

I am going to go cut up some clips right now.....and post one. Thats right....I did not post it on Youtube, but I am putting them on our webstite in the next few days. Thats how someone got there hands on it a bit early.

Hope people enjoy it and post some of there own. I would love to see what everyone else has going on in their area. I here there is a XT track out in Missouri somewhere. Shoot some video....people.

Oops...My point for this long post, Jon Stevens from Segway inc is shown on Youtube dropping off a 36" ledge, thats about 6" more than us....Damn.

I love Segway and want to show it. :p

dale@thecoys.net
02-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Seems to me that over the last week I've seen a lot of automobile videos showing driving that would be unsafe for the average driver - or even impossible (like the Edge commercial) - or "do not try this at home". I haven't seen a lot of complaints about that. Much less somebody trying to use those commercials to ban automobiles.

Regarding riding XTs (and X2s) on sidewalks: in New Mexico, Segways are considered pedestrians, and are permitted to travel on sidewalks and bicycle paths as well as roadways. Regardless of what Segway Inc says about "intended use", I don't want (and I doubt that anybody else wants) the government to try to distinguish between what's permitted for an I2 and what's permitted for an XT or X2.

Now, having said that - it's clearly a matter of common sense, courtesy, and safety. In many places in this state, the only reasonable and safe place to ride may be the sidewalk - regardless of what model Segway I'm on. Please come ride a few miles with us ("in our shoes"), and judge for yourself. And if I'm not inconveniencing or endangering other occupants of the sidewalk (common courtesy), I don't see a real problem.

And when Shawn says he's committed to safety - it's not just idle chatter. My wife and I are experienced owner/riders of two XTs. Some time ago, we rode an X2 and ordered two. This week, we picked the X2s up from Shawn at Segway NM. He said "bring your helmets and we'll do a cruise around the park" - and after a quick-but-thorough orientation, and our promise to view the safety DVD when we got back home, Shawn accompanied us for about 3/4 hour to make sure we were riding safely. He would not have let us leave with them, if he had any doubts.

gbrandwood
02-10-2007, 07:37 AM
No one was hurt. There was no near misses. No one frightened, startled, forced off a pavement etc. The people in the video were having fun - and the risk was at their expense. It is a video of extreme segging behaviour, by some "brave" souls. Everyone loves to see this stuff. For years, you've been able to buy videos of stunts and no one has ever used, to my knowledge, such "evidence" to ban anything.

"Stupid is what stupid does." Whether that be on a Segway, Car, bicycle, motorbike. You can't prevent it from happening. People will find a way to do stupid/fun stuff with things - any things in fact!

Hopefully the video will attract people to the x2 product, which, afterall, is an off-road recreational vehicle.

Dealers, when you demo the x2's capabilities, do you not try and show what it is capable of? I bet you don't go that extreme, and sure, you almost certainly won't be doing any hands-free drops, but you know what I'm saying. Remember the Segway video showing the XT dropping a few feet and going one wheel off a log? And, I don't recall such remarks being made against Derek Hugger's extreme Segway stunts. All were fun to watch but I don't think I'd try them myself.

Majestic
02-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Shawn,

Great video. Makes me want an X2 also. Thanks for sharing.

Fred

slowride
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Now if this was done in front of city hall then I could understand the concern.

actually, I think that is City Hall in the snow scene.

As the wife and mother of this bunch, and after watching this video, I have just one concern...

I need to look into better insurance and our agent can never see it.

Worm
02-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow, really cool video.

slowride
02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Actually, this video is much better. We're looking for the best 30 seconds to cut out and use for a local commercial. For some reason it got moved to videos but I think it should be under buy & sell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qohhyHunQ

safety1st
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Tom here is where "Segway authorized tours" is working. Notice on Inc's web site who is authorized and who IS NOT?

David

dale@thecoys.net
02-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Tom here where "Segway authorized tours" is working. Notice on Inc's web site who is authorized and who IS NOT?

David

http://www.segway.com/tours/

Washington DC? Anywhere in Texas?

safety1st
02-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Soon in Dallas and Austin. But one of the requirements under Segways operating rules is we are not allowed to have photos or videos of any rider without a helmet.

David

Desert_Seg
02-14-2007, 12:46 AM
A point about the video disclaimers.

They mean nothing. Absolutely nothing.

While disclaimers may make you feel good and make you think you are protecting yourself from liability, the reality is that unless every person who sees the video signs a written disclaimer a video disclaimer does not protect you.

There is a legal concept called "reasonable man" and, even with disclaimers, if it can be assumed that a "reasonable man" could assume that viewing the video could encourage others to operate in a similar manner, than the persons in the video and/or the poster assume liability for any accidents that occur.

Yes, it's harder to prove negligence but there are many cases of folks who have prevailed. Just look at the suits generated by the Jackass family of movies.

Yes, the videos look cool and "warn" people, but they also encourage others to act in a similar manner, a manner that could get people hurt, people injured, or Segways banned.

I know, I know, nobody believes this to be the case but mark my words This video, and others, will be fodder for the anti-Segway campaigners.

Steven

Segway Shawn
02-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Soon in Dallas and Austin. But one of the requirements under Segways operating rules is we are not allowed to have photos or videos of any rider without a helmet.

David

David,

We signed up for the Authorized Segway Tours at the global meeting in July. Segway has asked us to make sure we have any pictures on our "Tour" page showing riders using helmets. If the Authorized Tours come to be a reality with Segway inc I am sure we would have to tighten up some of our advertising also.

I still am not sure exactly how much the Authorized tour "link" will help us here. I think people will just google Segway Tours in NM because thats where they are traveling to, rather than go to Segway.com and look at the list, then decide to come here on vacation. But thats another thread...so is the largest Segway Dealer in North America. :eek:

We have always required helmets on tours but this video shows some guys having fun on their day off, carving on the same trails our tours travel on. They had helmets on in most of the video anyway.

As for a recent comment about the "fear" of what someone might do after watching this video :confused: Honestly, I am tired of people and governments telling me to fear this or that. We all know where that got us as a country, I refuse to be scared. :mad:

hellphish
02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't understand that bit about the reasonable man assuming other people are idiots and would do what they see in a video. I thought it would be reasonable to assume that other people are equally reasonable, or is that not a reasonable way to think?

slowride
02-14-2007, 02:28 PM
A point about the video disclaimers.

There is a legal concept called "reasonable man" and, even with disclaimers, if it can be assumed that a "reasonable man" could assume that viewing the video could encourage others to operate in a similar manner, than the persons in the video and/or the poster assume liability for any accidents that occur.

Steven

Just a little tidbit FYI

Steven, here in New Mexico we have a law that refers to "inherent risk" and it is intended to dissuade people from filing law suits for injuries that they themselves assumed when they chose the activity. In other words, any "reasonable man" should realize that they can get hurt on skis, riding a scooter, a bicycle, a snowmobile, or any other machine that moves a human through space, over trails, or through water. When one choses that activity they automatically, and legally assume that risk. Particularly if they signed a waiver stating so. This legal precedence has been applied to many law suits against ski lodges, scooter rental companies, snowmobile rental companies, and others, for at least the last 30 years. So far, no "reasonable man" has gotten around that "inherent risk" problem here in the New Mexico courts.

polo_pro
02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
As for a recent comment about the "fear" of what someone might do after watching this video :confused: Honestly, I am tired of people and governments telling me to fear this or that. We all know where that got us as a country, I refuse to be scared. :mad:

And so the rebellion began...

hellphish
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
As for a recent comment about the "fear" of what someone might do after watching this video :confused: Honestly, I am tired of people and governments and SegwayChat members telling me to fear this or that. We all know where that got us as a country, I refuse to be scared. :mad:

Shawn, I fixed your quote for you. :) :) The new video really makes me want to head your direction for some segway playing!

Desert_Seg
02-14-2007, 11:53 PM
...here in New Mexico we have a law that refers to "inherent risk"

Not just New Mexico. All states have assumed risk (that being when you sign the waiver) and many have inherent risk.

and it is intended to dissuade people from filing law suits for injuries that they themselves assumed when they chose the activity. In other words, any "reasonable man" should realize that they can get hurt on skis, riding a scooter, a bicycle, a snowmobile, or any other machine that moves a human through space, over trails, or through water. When one choses that activity they automatically, and legally assume that risk.

The liability arises when a representative of the organization who makes the product (in this case the dealer) uses, or promotes the use, of the device for purposes it was not meant. And the liability isn't just the risk of tort action. The liability is also in the battle the Segway faces in getting approval in cities / states / countries. The liability is also in the issue with insurance.

Please note, I do some of the same things that Shawn has shown in his video (although we don't have forests to do it in) but I don't post videos about it. I also don't try to dissuade anybody from doing these things if they want.

What I'm looking for is that videos not be posted or endorsed by dealers because it then carries an aura of respectability that can than hurt us all.

Big picture vs little picture thing.

Steven

Desert_Seg
02-15-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't understand that bit about the reasonable man assuming other people are idiots and would do what they see in a video. I thought it would be reasonable to assume that other people are equally reasonable, or is that not a reasonable way to think?

Two points:

Yes, there is the concept that an individual has to assume some responsibility for his/her actions (but don't trust a jury to think that way)

However, the issue of reasonableness is not if the person should have been smart enough not to try the "stunt" (that's what the defense will argue) but if the person who supported / backed it should have realized that by showing the video others would be encouraged to do the same (the plaintiff's side).

Juries tend to sympathize with the plaintiff (he or she with the injuries).

Steven

KSagal
02-15-2007, 01:25 AM
As with everything in life, there are several factors to consider regarding this video...

Is this extream segging? Yes.

Is extream segging more dangerous than sedate segging? Yes

If people without good segging skills try some of what they see, will the Darwin factor kick in? most likely. There is a radio show that I listen to from time to time that has a great motto. "Stupid should hurt"

Is there potential for the segway politically correct to be outraged? Yes (This particular potential has been realized)

The above are some of the potential downside of this video...

Did it look like fun? Yes

Do people like to have fun? Yes

Are people who don't know anything about segways likely to have a different impression about segways after seeing this video as opposed to seeing a different video (The safety video, as example)? Yes

might this video make segways appealing to a segement of the poplulation who have not been well marketed to? Yes

might there be spill over sales generated from the excitement generated by this video? Yes

is it likely to make people want to buy segways? yes

Is more and better diversified groups buying segways a good thing? Yes

The preceding have the potential for good impacts on the segging community...

I believe that for the segway to be a true success, it needs to be considered more than a gimp or geek mobile. It needs to be fun and cool, and the kind of thing that can be seen as worthy of generating envy.

Valuable or not, the preceding are the personal opinions of Karl Sagal. SEG America does not endorse unsafe or illegal activities on any segway.

Segway Shawn
02-16-2007, 01:58 AM
I just wanted to mention that someone has to break out of the box and show the world that the Segway X2 can be used for motocross style segwaying.

Someone has to show that the X2 will handle the the load of riding hard and having fun out in a field where "nobody" is. I never saw anyone get 3-4 ft of air on a Segway before my son hit that dip on a XT. The door opened that day, he turned around and ran right back at it and flew through the air and landed without it shutting down. I thought to myself, and told him right then, you are going to bust your *** trying that. He laughed and hit it again for another 3 feet in the air.....no shut down, a bit of a wobble but he made it.

I have been telling kids and adults that you cant jump or ride a Segway like that, I told them they will shut down in air or on landing if you try it.

I wasn't 100% right in that answer, I now know different and think that if other people like us know that the machine wont break when you play hard like this, they will buy. ( one has been submerged in the Rio Grand and still works perfect )

"Now thats some video" :eek:

The X2 versus the XT? Dont try it on the XT, the machine will make it but the odds of it shutting down in mid air (before you land) is pretty good. :eek:

The X2 is better machine by far. It flies through the air and never seems to shut down, not on us anyway. I have seen it leave the ground for 3 seconds or so and not even shutter when it lands.

This should open doors to the extreme games promoted by ESPN. The games will be a great show place for the X2 and the people here in Segway Chat, need to get on board and start practicing how to ride the X2 the way it was built to be ridden. "HARD"

I think we should all get together and figure out where the first X2 off road race will be. It can be singles, teams, over distance, terrain, water, etc. It would be exciting to watch and to compete in. It would be Great for Segway.

If you do this stuff then film it! Dont be shy, and show the mistakes, show the machine in real off road riding. They are not built to go down a flat path all the time. Would you pay $5500 for a machine that only goes down a flat road, c'mon get real guys. The kids these days spend 5k on bikes to jump and do fun things on, lets show them how fun Segways are.

Helmets, we should have had helmets on but everyone knows that sometimes you are having fun and taping without the intent of making a video. When you get back and see the footage sometimes its hard to reproduce. ( like going down 2 flights of stairs at 10 mph) We have some footage that did not make the video because we didnt have helmets and just didnt think it should be shown to the public. I think what we did show is very tame for what we have done on the Segway i2, X2, XT and the I series machines.

I understand the concerns of both sides and hope people get out there and show the Segway X2 being used the way its built to be used.

For those folks that like what they see and want a great deal on a New X2, Call Segway New Mexico for your best deal. ;)

PS: I like the Tool video best. :D

Desert_Seg
02-16-2007, 02:37 AM
... I understand the concerns of both sides and hope people get out there and show the Segway X2 being used the way its built to be used.

I was wrong, and I have to admit it.

While I still have concerns about a video such as this being used as a weapon against pro-Segway legislation, I have to agree with Shawn, and many others, have correctly pointed out that the Segway has multiple uses and showing these uses is a positive.

Will there be some backlash due to this video? While I believe there will be, nobody knows for sure.

Can there be some positive from this video? Yes. There is a whole market out there that is untapped and Shawn is working towards it.

So, I admit my error...and now I need to figure out how to capture the same market.

Steven

Segway Shawn
03-23-2007, 12:46 AM
I have had many positive comments through emails and phone calls from Segway Chat members and new customers that have seen this video. Thank you.

We did revise it a few days ago which killed the old link and it was just brought to my attention so here is the new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fb45nYVFs

This is my favorite video although I am waiting for couple good challenge at some flag football. :cool:

Segway Shawn
06-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I have been looking on youtube. Nobody is posting any decent videos, come on guys....throw away the orange vests and get to moving that Segway with a camera watching.

I guess we will have to make another one.

quade
06-28-2007, 04:27 PM
The X2 is better machine by far. It flies through the air and never seems to shut down, not on us anyway. I have seen it leave the ground for 3 seconds or so and not even shutter when it lands.

Um, are you sure?

3 seconds is an AWFULLY long time. Please proved video shot and uploaded in playing in real time, because until I see it, I'm going to think you're suffereing from temporal displacement.

I highly doubt any Segway would survive that sort of jump even with properly designed ballistic ramps because we're talking about a jump that would, if done from level to ramp to jump and back again, place the Segway about 24ish feet UP in the air.

quade
06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
As far as the X2 and videos go, I would think a really interesting concept would be to have one outfitted as a combat carrier.

A lone trooper outfitted with a Segway riding on a goat trail and followed by an RMP 400. The trooper negotiates terrain that, while passable by other means simply couldn't be passed as quickly. The RMP 400 dutifully follows the trooper to a small ridge top.

The trooper pulls out a pair of binoculars and scouts the landscape in front of him. He places the X2 in self balance mode and punches in a few coordinates on a control panel. The RMP 400 sprints down the goat path. A few moments later a wounded soldier is seen on top of the RMP 400 as it sprints back toward the trooper. The trooper starts to give first aid as a rescue helicopter is seen in the background.

Segway Shawn
06-28-2007, 06:24 PM
---Quote---Quade---
---End Quote---
Um, are you sure?

3 seconds is an AWFULLY long time. Please proved video shot and uploaded in playing in real time, because until I see it, I'm going to think you're suffereing from temporal displacement.

Only one of the jumps or air shots are in slow motion, it shows the same one in real time later on flying over 4 ft in the air, landing and riding off.

There is skill and balance involved, the better you are and the more you stay in balance "while in the air" the longer the machine is active. I don't think we are suffering from anything, yet. Trying to lose the geek squad type jacket that goes with a Segway.

I would like to see someone else make a video that shows some of their personal talent using a Segway, in real time of course. Maybe add some music or something, that says more than words usually.

I think the trooper video would be great, I am not a trooper so I cant do that one. Not to mention the RMP issue.

I was thinking something in the lines of a Segway Ninja, maybe ask the Segway Ninja, that may be a good one. Or something more like the theme flirting with disaster, by molly hatchet, that may be a bit extreme but that sure beats wearing a vest.

quade
06-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I completely agree with your idea of losing the Segway "geek" image.

I've only been riding a Segway for a little while compared to most of the folks on this web site. Something I don't understand is the overall hostility toward the device, but I do think a big part of it has to do with the notion that we're all a bunch of fat, rich, elitist jerks that would rather hop on a scooter than walk the 1 block to Starbucks.

Today while I was doing my regular commute to work (8 miles one way) I met a couple on a tandem bicycle while stopped waiting for a light to change. They were, natually, decked out in spandex regalia. The guy said I was "cheating". I said I couldn't be cheating, because I wasn't even playing the same game. I was on my way to WORK and that this was my daily commute. They asked me "how far?" I described the ride and suddenly I think the woman on the back of the bike understood; it's too far to walk, impractical to ride a bike due to sweatiness and driving a car is just stupid.

THE problem is that people simply don't see the UTILITY of the device but rather see it as just an expensive toy (which, admittedly, to some it clearly is. (cough, cough) Segway-polo in the press isn't helping the image guys; seriously. The word polo simply will never have the "everyman" connotation; way geek, way elitist. Don't get me wrong PLO, I'm going to be tickled pick to watch you and others play a bit, but I really hope it doesn't end up on YouTube because I already know what most of the comments will be.

Money is the "other" issue. People see it as a waste of $5000. $5000 buys a really nice bicycle . . . but again, it's a completely different game.

As for "Ask a Segway Ninja" . . . uh, kinda derivative of this guy (http://askaninja.com/) eh? I'd find something a bit more original.

KSagal
06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I completely agree with your idea of losing the Segway "geek" image.

I've only been riding a Segway for a little while compared to most of the folks on this web site. Something I don't understand is the overall hostility toward the device, but I do think a big part of it has to do with the notion that we're all a bunch of fat, rich, elitist jerks that would rather hop on a scooter than walk the 1 block to Starbucks.

Today while I was doing my regular commute to work (8 miles one way) I met a couple on a tandem bicycle while stopped waiting for a light to change. They were, natually, decked out in spandex regalia. The guy said I was "cheating". I said I couldn't be cheating, because I wasn't even playing the same game. I was on my way to WORK and that this was my daily commute. They asked me "how far?" I described the ride and suddenly I think the woman on the back of the bike understood; it's too far to walk, impractical to ride a bike due to sweatiness and driving a car is just stupid.

THE problem is that people simply don't see the UTILITY of the device but rather see it as just an expensive toy (which, admittedly, to some it clearly is. (cough, cough) Segway-polo in the press isn't helping the image guys; seriously. The word polo simply will never have the "everyman" connotation; way geek, way elitist. Money is the "other" issue. People see it as a waste of $5000. $5000 buys a really nice bicycle . . . but again, it's a completely different game.

As for "Ask a Segway Ninja" . . . uh, kinda derivative of this guy (http://askaninja.com/) eh? I'd find something a bit more original.

I agree with parts of your post, especially the part where you say you don't understand the overall hostility to the device.

I see what you see very differently. Speaking in defense of some of the conservative gliders or the folks that encourage gliders not to 'hot-shot' around, because time after time, people experience exactly what you experienced, but with different people...

You stated that you got an initial negative response from the biker. You went on to give us the impression that you may have changed that impression for at least one of the two you spoke to. That is a good record, if accurate.

What if they did not stop at that light, but passed you in the middle of the block? You would not have had the opportunity to explain yourself.

What if that same guy happens to be a mayor, or city council member, and he passed you in the middle of the block? Then he would have come to the corner with his impression in tact, and you did not change that...

Many of us have had to deal with at least the potential of bans and restrictions, put on us by people like that one on the bike, that have positions of authority, but not necessarily informed opinions.

We all know that far far more people pass us on the road than we have time to speak to...

Many of us that have been on this forum for a long time, were the first segways in our community. We experienced that first impression hundreds of times.

You yourself indicated the notion that we're all a bunch of fat, rich, elitist jerks that would rather hop on a scooter than walk the 1 block to Starbucks.

If you feel that way based on some posts on this forum, then why would some that have never met a segger, or been on a segway have a different view?

You may have some precoceptions about polo. Good for you. I am old enough to remember how people reacted to school kids playing soccer instead of baseball and football. Now there is a move to Lacross. I am involved in my towns planning and organization, and there is some hesitancy there as well. Polo? who knows. I played water polo in school, does that count?

I believe that Segways are a part of the future, but they are indeed a new thing, and because of that, they do not easily fit into the concepts of the past. The more people try to force them into the realities of yesterday, the more negatives get generated...

Paying attention and complaining about yesterday are fine, but I would rather be paying attention and being forceful about assuring my place in tomarro.

There are many ways to do this. Choose one, and run with it.

quade
06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
What if they did not stop at that light, but passed you in the middle of the block? You would not have had the opportunity to explain yourself.

<snip>

You yourself indicated the notion that we're all a bunch of fat, rich, elitist jerks that would rather hop on a scooter than walk the 1 block to Starbucks.

If you feel that way based on some posts on this forum, then why would some that have never met a segger, or been on a segway have a different view?

You may have some precoceptions about polo.

<more snippage>

Oh, I've definitely NOT had the opportunity to respond to quite a few people. :)

So far my favorite was a guy in a HUGE yellow SUV that yelled out his window, "Why don't you walk you lazy A$$?" I wrote about that elsewhere I think. Not only is it unwise to respond to these folks it's like teaching a pig to sing. It's just not possible.

As for my comments Segway polo. I AM intrigued by the idea, but I was talking about the impression it gives the public, not me. I believe people should do their own thing, have fun and enjoy life. Segway polo ABSOLUTELY falls into this for at least a number of folks.

That said, the general public will NEVER see it that way. NEVER. And if you want to believe otherwise go right ahead, but in a NASCAR world, polo just doesn't play. Take a look at the attached. Boom! THE Stereotype; rich, fat, geek. I don't care if he is "The Woz". FFS at least wear some blue jeans and untuck the shirt!

polo_pro
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Segway-polo in the press isn't helping the image guys; seriously. The word polo simply will never have the "everyman" connotation; way geek, way elitist. Don't get me wrong PLO, I'm going to be tickled pick to watch you and others play a bit, but I really hope it doesn't end up on YouTube because I already know what most of the comments will be.

Hmph...such blasphemy from an unbeliever. Well, be careful what you say about polo BEFORE you've tried it. It's much like a person's first ride on a segway...hesitant, unsure but upon experiencing it firsthand they clearly change their views. All in a matter of 60 seconds. Same things apply to segway owners who contemplate polo...after 60 seconds of holding the mallet and a few good swings. They're hooked...for life!

(Mental note...pay special attention to which polo mallet Quade gets. Make sure it's the one with the handle slathered in "assimilation" drugs. 8^) 8^) 8^) )

ps - As to any videos, trust me when I say with polo being played for years there are dozens (possibly hundreds) around. And if people want to watch polo on YouTube (or in person) make snide remarks under their breath or under the anonymity that the internet affords them, fine. I guess I just don't notice that much because I'm having too much fun...chasing a ball around....on the grass...on a nice sunny day!

KSagal
06-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Last I looked, we are all members of the public.

The Woz is a popular guy. I don't use apple computers, and was never that excited about his existance, but that does not matter. He writes books, has been very successful at the things he does.

You may argue that in this nascar world, the Woz has little influence. That may be so, but I don't know that the nascar world is exactly who is buying segways. Of those who buy segways, I believe that he has some influence.

Several years ago, I did a demonstration skydive into the infield of a nascar race. It was very well recieved. (There were 4 of us). There were also no volunteers in the audience for the next jump... I also taught at the local skydive school, so I would know if it generated skydive students directly, and though it may have in general, it did not do so right away...

I hesitate to mention it, but the first fatality that I ever heard about that involved a segway in any way, was in the backfield of a nascar event. (or something similar)

All I am saying is that I do agree that for a more popular acceptance, some of the dorkyness needs to be left behind. I just do not think we need to throw the current owners under the bus to get that done.

One other point to consider. There are tens of thousands of segways out there. There are a couple hundred posters here. There a several thousand who have come and gone. At best, it appears to me that less than 10 or 15% of segway owners have ever been on this forum...

While this forum may reflect a vocal percentage of segway owners, I do not believe it represents the majority of them...

I like the videos that are the topic of this thread. I believe they do a good job of showing a fun and athletic, and very sporty view of segways. THat is good.

I would like to do more and see more of decidely non-dorky people doing other fun, athletic and sporty things with segways...

polo_pro
06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
That said, the general public will NEVER see it that way. NEVER. And if you want to believe otherwise go right ahead, but in a NASCAR world, polo just doesn't play. Take a look at the attached. Boom! THE Stereotype; rich, fat, geek. I don't care if he is "The Woz". FFS at least wear some blue jeans and untuck the shirt!

Come on Quade. That photo you refered to was from last year's "Woz World Cup". Everything about it was a PR event. And not surprisingly, the polo teams had to have "uniforms". Do we wear uniforms during our Sunday matches? Heck, no. We all wear jeans/short, and a T-shirt. Though I'll be the first to admit, we generally gravitate towards solid yellow or solid blue shirts so we don't have to wear the silly colored jersey.

And by the way, when the folks from the public happen upon us at our usual park, they remark how neat the game looks. They sit and watch for a while, and then they move on having seen one more interesting spectacle during their weekend. Last time, I think we had more spectators than players (though by the end of the match half of the spectators had moved on).

Quade, seriously, check things out in real life before you get concerned about image and such. I don't care if it's the image of a segway by the man on the street that you're passing, or if it's the image of a segway polo player by someone strolling through the park. Whatever the case, as you log more miles as a segway user, you're going to find the vast majority of people treat us gliders as an amusing oddity. Something that brightens their day and shows them that our country as a whole is sloooowly moving in a new direction.

ps - You spend far too much time thinking about the one or two oddballs who feel a need to vent at anything in society that they think won't be able to fight back (often because they themselves are hurling insults and then running themselves).

quade
06-28-2007, 11:37 PM
ps - You spend far too much time thinking about the one or two oddballs who feel a need to vent at anything in society that they think won't be able to fight back (often because they themselves are hurling insults and then running themselves).

You are, perhaps, correct.

Then again, my "real" jobs (the ones that actually make me money and not just the side gigs for my own amusement), have all been in; the media, advertising and image. While perception most definitely is not reality, it might as well be when it comes to brand management. So, yeah, I do think about it quite a bit.

However, if I was truly obsessed with the idea of what others thought about me while on a Segway, I probably wouldn't own one and I most certainly wouldn't ride it in the areas I do and especially not to the company I currently work for.

polo_pro
06-29-2007, 12:54 AM
And I'll readily concede that on some matters (such as passing legislation or gaining acceptance at your workplace) perception/image matters. But in day to day life, I think it's best to focus on enjoyment...oh yeah, and chasing the little ball around the field!

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 02:32 AM
Quade,

Your comments are very wrong. We hold "free" demo Polo matches here where we bring the machines and let people sign up to play. We always run extra matches and have to turn away hundreds of people.

I've had some negative comments but not that many. I continue to have considerable interest in the Segway and have had to turn down countless requests for demos.

So, to say that Polo is a negative is wrong. Sure, some folks might make fun of the game but they still want to try a Segway and giving them a chance is all that is needed to make them converts. It doesn't matter if they are NASCAR or Formula 1 fans.

Steven

seglander
06-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Now if we could play this on Segways I think the Geek image would very soon replaced. No offence to Polo but this is slightly more intense.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxcYB-L_VE)

quade
06-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Quade,

Your comments are very wrong.

Sometimes I don't think people actually read what I write.

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Sometimes I don't think people actually read what I write.

Oh, I read it. I just think that most of what you have posted to date is of little value.

Most of it is opinions that are based on your limited knowledge of the Segway, the Segway community, and the things that have long been discussed on this forum.

What you posted was wrong...and countless other people have seen that it Polo does have value and isn't seen as elitist. So I'd caution you to read a lot of what has been posted over the past few years...there is lots of value there.

Steven

quade
06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
So I'd caution you to read a lot of what has been posted over the past few years...there is lots of value there.

1) Was that some sort of veiled threat? You caution me? Are you kidding? You really need to take a step back out of your violent headspace. We're talking about Segways in an internet chat room. Nothing of any life shattering importance is going on here. Wow. Calm down.

2) I would rather discuss actively than weed through the noise of years worth of posts passively. If a CHAT site is supposed to be anything, it's not a static respository for information but rather an on going and current exchange of ideas.

hellphish
06-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Whatever the case, as you log more miles as a segway user, you're going to find the vast majority of people treat us gliders as an amusing oddity. Something that brightens their day and shows them that our country as a whole is sloooowly moving in a new direction.

This is so true!

Steven, Quade lives in the United States and the people he encounters also live in the United States. They watch the US media, they shop in US stores, etc. When talking about perception, you can't compare the average Joe Blow American with the average rich Saudi. Whoa did I just reveal my perceptions or what?!

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Yo Quade.....relax dude, use a dictionary every now and then.

Caution, in the context it was used, means to advise to urge or heed. I'm just recommending that you read the forums.

Yes, discussing is a good thing but the search function is a wonderful tool and doing some research on your own is not only a great way to learn but it keeps the old timers from flaming you because you don't want to do a little work.

SegwayChat is an open forum for discussion but trust me....a little research goes a long way to proving ones worth. That's all I'm saying.

Steven

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
...When talking about perception, you can't compare the average Joe Blow American with the average rich Saudi. ...

People think that the average Saudi (or Emirati, or Baharain, or Qatari) is so different than the average Joe Blow American.

They aren't.

Sure, there are some rich folks here but most are like you and me. Trying to make a living, trying to support their families. Don't think they are all rich (they aren't), don't think they all have oil coming out of their own wells (they don't). They really are just like you and me.

Steven

KSagal
06-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Wow.

First off, I live in the United States, and have stated that I do not see things as Quade does, although on some points he has made some good observations.

I agree with Steven more than I don't, but I cannot visit him, as my life would be in jeopardy, because I am and my family is Jewish. I really do not know that much about the emerates, but I do know that, and it is enough.

At any given point in my life, I have had many personality traits at work at the same time. I was a world class square dancer at the same time I was a liscensed Skydive instructor. SO? I am an old fuddy duddy on the Zoning board in my town, and I ride a segway at the same time. So?

If Quade feels that polo is eletist, that is his right. If we don't agree, we can say so, that is our right.

Personally, I feel this forum does better when it offers positive solutions, and some interesting insites, than when it attacks this person or that, or this country or that.

Having said that, I rarely let a challenge go by without responding, so I am as guilty as the next...

What I am trying to say is that we should stay on topic, or at least away from confusing the poster with the posting.

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 04:08 PM
...I agree with Steven more than I don't, but I cannot visit him, as my life would be in jeopardy, because I am and my family is Jewish. I really do not know that much about the emerates, but I do know that, and it is enough...

Karl,

Jewish or not, you can still come here. It's only those folks who carry Israeli passports that are not normally allowed. Hell, you make the trip and you can stay at my house for free. Wine, Cigars, and Cognac included, btw.

... Having said that, I rarely let a challenge go by without responding...

Ah, a problem I have also.

Steven

KSagal
06-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Karl,

Jewish or not, you can still come here. It's only those folks who carry Israeli passports that are not normally allowed. Hell, you make the trip and you can stay at my house for free. Wine, Cigars, and Cognac included, btw.

Ah, a problem I have also.

Steven

Steven,

Thank you for your offer. I am sure it is genuine. I will not go to a place that is supportive of genocide. Sorry. (You need not argue about the financial support that is well documented.)

Not everyone has to have respect for other humans. Everyone has the right to feel as they do, and I will not say that my values are above others. I will say that I choose not to support those who do not share my very basic recognition that everyone has a right to live and pursue a good life for themselves and their family.

Relax Steven. There is no rule that says I have to like your neighbors. You chose to live there, not me. I have not said anything against you, or your choice, just the policy of the country you live in...

There are policies in other places that I do not respect as well.

Desert_Seg
06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
....Relax Steven. There is no rule that says I have to like your neighbors. You chose to live there, not me. I have not said anything against you, or your choice, just the policy of the country you live in...

Hmmm, why do people believe I'm full of angst. I have none. I was just making an offer.

You don't come I just have to drink that Cognac with you later.

Steven

julesdarcy
07-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Now if we could play this on Segways I think the Geek image would very soon replaced. No offence to Polo but this is slightly more intense.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxcYB-L_VE)

Martin, you could have showed a match where Limerick actually won. I know they're hard to find but we did beat Tipperary this year.

Back to Shawn's video. I think it's excellent and will definitely broaden the appeal of the segway. I don't buy into it being ammunition for the anti-segway brigade.

As Virginia Woolf said:

If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged.

More power to your elbow Shawn.