PDA

View Full Version : Help to get a Segway for one disabled and financially challanged.

Malkah
02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Does anyone know of anyone helping others in my position?. I have a heart condition, so therefore, cannot operate a manual wheelchair. I have difficulty walking distances or exerting.

It might make it possible for me to return to work.

Anyone with any info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Malkah

Wallace
02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
We have been contacted by the local director of the Texas Office for Assistive and Rehabilitation Services inquiring about the possible suitability of a SEGWAY for use by one of their clients.

The client is an instructor at a local community college- walks with a cane; has ridden a SEGWAY and has a perscription from her physician for an Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device (aka SEGWAY HT.)

She plans to use the SEG to access various buildings on campus and even intends to lecture from it in her classroom.

She is not asking for her health insurance to pay for the SEG nor is she MedCare qualified (which won't pay for it either.)

BUT, the director of the rehabilitation service called to ask if the lady could be evaluated using one of our machines which are a part of a Human Mobility Productivity research project.

You might check with your state rehab office for guidance. Their URL is http://www.wvdrs.org/WVDRS_MENU.cfm