PDA

View Full Version : News section

Sharkie
01-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Are the threads in the news section not being locked any more? The recent one about a bomb squad using Segways is getting some posts to it that really don't help to reinforce the news aspect, and I noticed that the last few threads aren't locked. I always thought it was best to post there, and discuss somewhere else, is that no longer the case?

Jim

nickyboy
01-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Are the threads in the news section not being locked any more? The recent one about a bomb squad using Segways is getting some posts to it that really don't help to reinforce the news aspect, and I noticed that the last few threads aren't locked. I always thought it was best to post there, and discuss somewhere else, is that no longer the case?

Jim

Ooopps, sorry I did not know!

Nick

Sal
01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Since that thread was unlocked from the start, I didn't lock it, were there rules in the background that didn't run?

-Sal

pam
01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Threads in the news area should be locked - probably only Sal and I can do it. Threads always start out unlocked. I don't think there's any way to automatically lock a thread that starts in the News section.

If people wish to comment on the article, we can do a duplicate thread in the HT forum. Again, Sal or I can do that. This way we have an archive of all the news articles.
Pam

Sal
01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks Pam,

From now on, I'll remember to do that when I notice a thread in the NEWS section which is unlocked.

Sorry... Still learning on the job!

I always thought the first post locked automatically!

-Sal

Brooster
01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I still think it's absolutely crazy that we're prohibited from discussing the news ... IN the news forum, where the news is posted. Isn't that what a "forum" is all about? What's the point of having a special forum to post news if you can't talk about it?

The news forum started years ago when there was a guy named Blinky who was on top of the news literally every day, and yes, he asked in the early days that people not post there. But y'know, Blinky's gone ... and has been gone for years. Things change.

If you guys want news discussed in the main forum, I say do away with the news forum. Let people say what they want to say.

But that's just me ...

Broo

GyroGo
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Perhaps "forum" is a misnomer for what is the "news" section, but it works well enough to not complain. It is good to have a place where one can find news articles, and another place to find discussions without checking multiple forum categories. It is easy enough for forum users to cut and paste from "news" to start a new discussion thread.

Keep up the good work, SC Admins!

pam
02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
If anyone finds something in "In the News" that they wish to open a discussion on, please contact me through PM. I'll happily copy the thread to the main forum, so that you can continue the conversation.
Pam

Timezkware Tim
02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Perhaps "forum" is a misnomer for what is the "news" section, but it works well enough to not complain. It is good to have a place where one can find news articles, and another place to find discussions without checking multiple forum categories. It is easy enough for forum users to cut and paste from "news" to start a new discussion thread.

Keep up the good work, SC Admins!

The other advantge to having a news section (with just news and no discussion) is to chronologically log follow up articles on the same story, such as pending Segway legislation in some city. Starting and discussing any topic is always possible and can be done in the discussion section. The news section can work like an index, and I presume that is the intention here.

Tim

Sal
02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
The other advantge to having a news section (with just news and no discussion) is to chronologically log follow up articles on the same story, such as pending Segway legislation in some city. Starting and discussing any topic is always possible and can be done in the discussion section. The news section can work like an index, and I presume that is the intention here.

Tim

I agree completely, Tim, and I think that was the intention to merely be a repository of media information regarding the Segway unfettered by discussions.

-Sal

dale@thecoys.net
04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
I agree completely, Tim, and I think that was the intention to merely be a repository of media information regarding the Segway unfettered by discussions.

-Sal

I understand. But it sure makes it difficult to:

(1) find all of the news articles related to a particular event. As an example, search for "funk" (as in the Funk Lawsuit). You'll get 1 hit in News, where there are at least 3 applicable articles.

(2) for relatively new folks (like me) to decide on an appropriate place to post news articles related to closed articles already present in the forum. I guess I decided to find some other Forum to post a related news article, rather than start "yet another topic" in the News forum.

Then, being interested, I had to look really hard to find this thread, which seems to contain the "policy" for the News Forum.

There's no clear "right" answer. Especially if the tools don't let you automatically close (i.e., limit topics to one posting) - then you'll get discussion that's closed by a moderator after a few folks have had a quick opportunity to comment.

One suggestion: in the Forum "index", it now says "Latest Segway related news articles.". It might be helpful to briefly explain the policy - whatever it is. Such as, perhaps, "Please post ONLY related news articles, and take discussion elsewhere".

pam
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure there's enough space for that much in that area, Dale, but maybe there is for "Archival Forum only" - That might help. The feed posts have to be manually closed, so when Sal and I come on, we close them. It's entirely possible for someone to make a comment in one before we get to it. However, we'll go ahead and close it.

We (the mods) realize that when you start another thread with the same article in another forum, it's a duplication, however, that's fine.
Pam

dale@thecoys.net
04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure there's enough space for that much in that area, Dale, but maybe there is for "Archival Forum only" - That might help.
Pam

Well, there are at least 2 lines (but perhaps there is a character limit). I see you (or somebody) changed it to:

Latest Segway related news articles. - Archival forum only. (For discussion, use the HT forum.)

...hastily, I presume, because I can't find an "HT forum". ;)

pam
04-13-2007, 06:35 PM
No, it was me. It used to be called the HT discussion forum. I've fixed it to reflect the current title of the Segway General Discussion forum.
Thanks!
Pam