PDA

View Full Version : WarSegging/Wargliding

vmlemon
01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Has anyone tried Wargliding (looking for Wi-Fi Access Points, or Bluetooth-enabled devices whilst gliding)?

cmonkey
01-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I have actually used my PDA and criused around a business complex or two looking for open networks. Then I sic my sales people on them to sell them equipment, then when the potential customer asks what we can do for them, we inform them that their network is exposed, and that can be a real problem with some of the customers we're dealing with. (medical, legal, financial etc)

Most of them appreciate the heads up, and it really shows that we care about our customers, potential or otherwise.

In all actuality, finding open networks is just a side benefit of having fun gliding around with a PDA on company time! :D

If a rep makes deal, I get a finders fee! Wheee!

Desert_Seg
01-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I do the same thing except when I find a coffee shop with an open network I sell them the hotspot management service we developed and now have deployed around the US, UAE, and a few other international areas (such as Bermuda Airport).

Side benefit? I can always tell my employees that when I glide I"m actually "working" :)

Steven

polo_pro
01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Wargliding goes hand in hand with long distance gliding. My latest ride from Santa Monica to Pt Mugu showed lots of WLAN, but few were open. The cool part is with my Nokia 770 (and check out the Nokia N800 released less than a week ago), I could do all of this while I'm gliding along PCH!

For those of you who might be concerned, I tended to do this only where the shoulders were 8 feet wide.

drmarty
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey you guys should mind your own business. I like having places where I can log on.

So you go in unsolicited and sell them something. Then I can no longer just casually log on. I am hurting nothing. I am happy to let them use my network when they are in my neighborhood. Kind of like the old white bicycles.

Oh well.

Marty

cmonkey
01-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey you guys should mind your own business. I like having places where I can log on.

I cruise the very non scenic industrial and core complex areas where you probably wouldn't be segging anyways.:D

Desert_Seg
01-19-2007, 02:59 AM

So you go in unsolicited and sell them something. Then I can no longer just casually log on. I am hurting nothing. I am happy to let them use my network when they are in my neighborhood. Kind of like the old white bicycles.

Oh well.

Marty

Our plan still lets you log on, you just have to buy a coffee or something. We encourage our PAWZ (Public Area Wireless Zone) clients to never charge, just make the client buy a soda, or a coffee, or even a newspaper....just buy something.

Steven

drmarty
01-19-2007, 05:18 AM
cool.

(You guys are letting me down. I left it wide open. The reply when I said to "mind your own business" was supposed to be "this IS my business"

Geez I have to give you an opening and then take it too? Ha Ha.)

While I am a pure capitalist, on this issue I feel broad free easy wifi access is a good thing probably in the public's interest. Everyone should have internet access. The internet is a leveler if you can get people to use it. I do not know what it takes but I do know several cities have done it - free wifi - but not mine. Anaheim has a pay system and it is bad. I am between Disneyland and the Anaheim (Angels) Stadium and their coverage doesn't extend here. Duh. I guess they can't make enough money to cover this area yet. See? If it was free in the whole city (a utility) then the coverage wouldn't have to wait for enough users.

OK, OK.

Back to wardriving. Yes fun. I started with a Fujitsu Stylistic, Orinoco card, and a Yagi "Potato chip can" antenna. Now I can use my iPAQ. I haven't even bought a keychain locater.

Marty

macgeek
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Damm!

I built my Seg around that!

:)

Jonathan

polo_pro
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
You really need to check out one of these Nokia N800 ( http://www.nokiausa.com/N800 ) that came out just last week. Sure the display is a bit smaller than what Macgeek uses, but it's a nicely integrated packages, has incredible resolution AND it runs linux. There's a large established community of developers (including some paid by Nokia) who've created this specific flavor of the linux OS. It's really neat to see a manufacturer put the software/OS development for a given product into the hands of the user!

Why do I mention this? Well wardriving with a N800 (including GPS tagging and attaching pictures...oh heck, you can even VoIP call your friend if you really want to alert them to where they can get free internet) is a cakewalk.

ps - At $400 this is a bit pricy, but if you're willing to do without the camera and the speedy processor, Nokia 770's (the predecessor) go for less than $200! And for a very capable internet tablet with a touch screen, that's pretty damn affordable...remember, no monthly fee like with cell phones!