PDA

View Full Version : DVD writer suggestions

mrClen
01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi all,
I'm planning to buy my first DVD writer in a week or so. I already have a Sony Combo, so I'll be using this exclusively for writing DVDs. Can you suggest me the best model for my requirement??

I have options of only a LiteOn or Sony or Benq or LG or Samsung.. No Pioneer or Plextor or Asus or Philips or whatever else. So I would like to get something among these. I do also like to try Lightscribe.

I DON'T know about DVD RAM - can someone explain this, or give a link.. Is it needed?

Should I go in for the fastest, like 20x or 18x? Can these speeds be increased through firmware upgrades?

Currently, I'm looking at LiteOn Super AllWrite 165P6S or a BenQ 1655. The stores here also have a BenQ 1640 or 1650..and a Sony DRU830A, which many of them are trying to force on me, saying that its the best..
Have a nice day..!!

BillPaxton
01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
It funny the liteon you reference is the one I use and was going to suggest. IMHO, 18x & 20x are redundant, because I can't find media over 16x and even at that with an 18x drive and 16x media, if I record over 12x it usually trashes the disc. I am also partial to the external version because it is easy to move around and it is compatible with AnyDVD and DVDShrink!
+B Hi all,
I'm planning to buy my first DVD writer in a week or so. I already have a Sony Combo, so I'll be using this exclusively for writing DVDs. Can you suggest me the best model for my requirement??

I have options of only a LiteOn or Sony or Benq or LG or Samsung.. No Pioneer or Plextor or Asus or Philips or whatever else. So I would like to get something among these. I do also like to try Lightscribe.

I DON'T know about DVD RAM - can someone explain this, or give a link.. Is it needed?

Should I go in for the fastest, like 20x or 18x? Can these speeds be increased through firmware upgrades?

Currently, I'm looking at LiteOn Super AllWrite 165P6S or a BenQ 1655. The stores here also have a BenQ 1640 or 1650..and a Sony DRU830A, which many of them are trying to force on me, saying that its the best..
Have a nice day..!!

JRjr
01-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Interesting question here... I had to take a double look to see if I was still on Segway Chat!

Maybe I DO need that cup of coffee after all....

Jim ;>)