View Full Version : Greetings From Cupertino

macgeek
01-05-2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.bandster.us/gfc.jpg

:)

Jonathan

Sal
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
I visited the mothership (Apple, not Segway), with my girlfriend in Feb-2006... Took a picture exactly like yours (sans the black macbook). Then we raided the Apple Company Store for some way cool Apple hats!

Whatcha doin' out there Jon?

-Sal

bentbiker
01-06-2007, 02:28 AM
I visited the mothership (Apple, not Segway), with my girlfriend in Feb-2006... Took a picture exactly like yours (sans the black macbook). Then we raided the Apple Company Store for some way cool Apple hats!

Whatcha doin' out there Jon?

-Sal
MacWorld Expo is next week in SF (starts Tues?) and I doubt the timing of Jonathan's visit is a coincidence. But will he be gliding through the show?

polo_pro
01-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Hmmm...Jonathan/macgeek is up in the Bay Area...it's the first weekend of the month. What am I doing on Sunday morning, eh?

Sal
01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
MacWorld Expo is next week in SF (starts Tues?) and I doubt the timing of Jonathan's visit is a coincidence. But will he be gliding through the show?

Speaking of MacWorld, any ideas on what Apple will be uncovering?

-Sal

bentbiker
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM

-Sal
I actually retired a week ago from selling Macs. However, as you probably know, Apple got burned a few years back by allowing news of a new model to get out and watching sales drop dead until the new model (people lost their jobs because of the huge loss on inventory). Apple then got very secretive of their plans and even their biggest reseller was given little guidance. That being said, I know there is hope for a replacement for the discontinued iSight video conferencing camera. The old units are selling on eBay for twice the original cost, and I know we had to cancel 325 customer backorders when Apple couldn't fill our PO's to them. There are rumors of a phone (again), but it would be hard to forecast a big change in the new lineup of computers, which has just changed so drastically. I'd like for them to buy Parallels or change their own operating system so that anybody could put in any Windows or Apple software and have the programs run side-by-side with Apple support.

A natural, would be a Mac Mini based total home multi-media offering. Many people are doing it themselves now, but it takes a bit of a geek to venture there. A deal with the likes of Tivo for scheduling could allow everybody to do really sophisticated automatic recording far superior to what Tivo now allows (like using the Boolean operators) with simple things like check boxes and wizards to guide the simpleminded, better guidance by the owner of what he allows for the system to record suggested shows (thumbs up and down are questionably useful), and sending emails suggesting clarification on conflicts. I'm surprised Apple hasn't taken the steps to get all the extra sales and all the value add margins that the cable manufacturers get for their wires -- more profit than Apple gets on the computer. They could even add the subcription service to the iTunes store.

The real answer to your question is that outside of Steve himself, very few people really know, and if it leaks Steve will probably delay it just to prove the leak was wrong.

citivolus
01-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Not to turn this into a wish list, but I would love to see one of the big 3 cad vendors (Autodesk, PTC, Dassault/SolidWorks) supporting the platform. It's the only thing keeping a WinBox on my desk.

bentbiker
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Not to turn this into a wish list, but I would love to see one of the big 3 cad vendors (Autodesk, PTC, Dassault/SolidWorks) supporting the platform. It's the only thing keeping a WinBox on my desk.
Citivolus,
Won't these run under Parallels on the new Intel Macs?

citivolus
01-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Citivolus,
Won't these run under Parallels on the new Intel Macs?

Probably, but the idea is to get away from Windows. I may wind up going with Linux because Pro/E does support some versions.

macgeek
01-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I had to go BACK to NY , And am BACK in NY

NO macworld for me

:(

Jonathan

bentbiker
01-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I had to go BACK to NY , And am BACK in NY

NO macworld for me

:(

Jonathan
Jon,
You must therefore give up the name . . . Wouldn't any SC member put you up for a couple days (for a low price)?