PDA

View Full Version : Charging with Inverter

Rayreeves2
12-29-2006, 04:03 PM
I have sent Segway two messages asking if the xt can be charged with an inverter. I have received no response what-so-ever. Perhaps someone here can tell me if it can be done and what size inverter would be needed. I simply want to charge it while hauling it in the trunk of my car. Anyone help?

Thanks, Ray

dgbint
12-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, you can charge a Segway from an inverter.
If you search this site you will find several threads, with lots of details.

Basically you need about 150W inverter with about a 250W surge capability.
The next rating size up, is a better option though.

Michael

KSagal
12-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes, I agree. I have found that the less expensive inverters are sometimes somewhat liberal with their own ratings... I have used several and the smallest one that worked well for me was one that is rated for 400 watts at surge.

bystander
12-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I have sent Segway two messages asking if the xt can be charged with an inverter. I have received no response what-so-ever. Perhaps someone here can tell me if it can be done and what size inverter would be needed. I simply want to charge it while hauling it in the trunk of my car. Anyone help?

Thanks, Raydgbint's & KSagal's advice is correct.

Ordinarily, I'd direct you to Segway, Inc.'s FAQ page:

Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.segway.com/support/faq/frequently-asked-questions.html)

But they've taken down the FAQ about the inverter. This is what it used to say:

Can I charge my Segway HT from my car or boat?

Yes, a Segway HT can be charged while driving in your car or boat by using a suitable DC-to-AC power inverter. Each Segway HT typically consumes approximately 140 Watts of power while charging. However, due to charger startup requirements, we recommend that inverters have power capacity of at least 350 Watts for each Segway HT being charged. Power inverters that produce either square or sinusoid waveform output are suitable for charging the Segway HT.

You might try inquiring with the term "inverter" on the search feature of this board for more comments about inverters. I've been using (occasionally) a 250 W avg. - 400 W surge MSW (modified sine wave) type costing about $25 with good results.

If you are within reach of a Harbor Freight, or want to order over the internet, here's a suitable inexpensive model:

Click for info.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos//93000-93099/93095-t.gif (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93095)

I recall that SC member inewman (http://forums.segwaychat.com/member.php?u=3608) bought one of these recently, you may wish to contact him and see how well it worked out.

P.S. Oddly, the old inverter question is on this page:

http://www.segway.com/faqs/faq.cgi

But the answer to it is a dead link.

P.P.S.

Found a live link with Google:

http://www.segway.com/faqs/faq.cgi?subject=1012478135#1046776590

Rayreeves2
12-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I appreciate all the responses to my question. I will be getting a 500 watt inverter with a 750 + surge. Again, thanks to all.

Ray

BillPaxton
12-30-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a Vector 400 watt inverter from Best Buy (It was $69) that charges both of my glides easily with your car on or off (off you need to unplug and start the car for about five minutes every 2-3 hours - don't start the car with it plugged in or the high amp draw from cranking sounds the alarm). It easily charges two glides at once as long as you have a 12v battery and don't run other appliances like a dvd player, tv or whatever. Part# is VEC1024. Don't know if it will work on LiOns tho - please check with Inc before trying...it uses modified sine wave type waveform which doesn't work on some kinds of rechargables and I don't think it would hurt them but it you can't be too safe.

Madsegs
03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Both NiMh and Lith-ion charge at the same wattage. Thats why the lith is slower and the CSB stays the same although it was manufactured and designed before the lith battery was ever produced.
It will work with both. I use one too but only to charge one, maby my car is smaller than yours Bill? Marta and i always just travell with one seg and go 2 up when we need it so we normally take the lithium. One seg you can hide completely in the boot/trunk when not in use or charging.

BillPaxton
03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Both NiMh and Lith-ion charge at the same wattage. Thats why the lith is slower and the CSB stays the same although it was manufactured and designed before the lith battery was ever produced.
It will work with both. I use one too but only to charge one, maby my car is smaller than yours Bill? Marta and i always just travell with one seg and go 2 up when we need it so we normally take the lithium. One seg you can hide completely in the boot/trunk when not in use or charging.
We have become terribly spoiled having two (thanks to you) so we bring both, I take the CS off and put them both in the very rear of our X5 (SUV)with wheels facing the sides of the car, & there are plugs for the inverter right there in back and our luggage fit on the platform between them to hold them in place. I slide a corregated hurricane shutter in too that we use as a ramp....zero effort really.

martinbogo
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey folks,

I have a setup I've been using on the old i180, and now will be using with the new i2. It was relatively easy to set up, and should work pretty well for the RV or eco-friendly crowd who just want a free and alternative way to charge up and go.

I use:

three Kyocera 120W, 16v, 7.5A solar panels (~$400ea)
Xantrex 12V/20A charger (~$450)
Two Optima Yellow-Top D31T ($100 ea when I got them - 150Ah total)
AIMS 2500W Power Inverter (has volt+amp meters) ($240)

So, the charger provides 360Wh, the batteries can store a maximum of 900Wh, and the Segway's batteries store about 415Wh.

The system charges to full capacity in about six hours of full sun, and that is enough to charge the segway through the inverter a couple times even with the loss of transforming DC to AC (aaaaand back to DC inside the Segway).

Oh, yeah .. and the system is also great for running the laptop, and other electrical devices. It's nice to use the "free" energy of the sun, even if the equipment to capture that energy does represent about a $2k investment total.

ryan_walters
03-13-2007, 02:02 AM
and the Segway's batteries store about 415Wh.

Remember your i2 batteries being lithium are 800-900 wh. Bet on 1.2kw/h input to charge them fully (assuming they were dead to start).

Of course, a NiMh machine used a long side a Lithium machine over the same distance is going to require approximately the same total input. Might represent 1/2 of the NiMh batteries, but only a 1/4 of the Lithium.