PDA

View Full Version : The Texans won, Segway lost

Sven
12-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Here's another "you can't ride a Segway here" story. Yesterday, my son and I went to Reliant Stadium in Houston to watch the lowly Texans beat the mighty Colts. Because our pre-paid parking lot was quite a distance from the ticket gates and once in, there would be a long walk up the ramps to our seat level, I took my Seg along (I wouldn't have gone otherwise as I cannot walk more than a short distance because of badly damaged knees). All went well until I glided through the security check. Suddently I was stopped by two security guys who informed me that Segways are not allowed in the facility. I immediately said that I am disabled and need the Segway to get to our seats. One of the security guys got on the phone and we were joined by four other security types. Segways are too dangerous was their mantra. Since I was royally pissed at that point, my son, who is a physician, more calmly took over the negotiations. They refused to budge on their no-Segway policy, but offered either a wheelchair and someone to push it or a powered scooter for me to use to get to our seats. My son urged me to accept one of those options and to give up any furthert arguments regarding the Segway because the security people we were dealing with were not high enough on the administrative ladder to alter policy. I chose a wheelchair and was pushed to a restricted elevator and to the area of our seats while my son walked my Seg close behind. There was a storage area for wheelchairs and scooters near our seats where he dropped off the Seg. My pusher was waiting at the end of the game to reverse the route. Once outside the gate, I glided the considerable distance to our car.

After cooling down from the confrontation and having given the matter some thought, I have mixed feelings about what transpired. From the standpoint of "Segway rights", it was obviously a negative situation. But I have to admit that they accomodated my needs well with the mobility aid they provided. I haven't decided yet whether or not to pursue the Segway issue by contacting someone involved in facility management who is at the policy-making level. Right now, I'm trying to enjoy Christmas day.

Tarkus
12-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Here's another "you can't ride a Segway here" story. Yesterday, my son and I went to Reliant Stadium in Houston to watch the lowly Texans beat the mighty Colts. Because our pre-paid parking lot was quite a distance from the ticket gates and once in, there would be a long walk up the ramps to our seat level, I took my Seg along (I wouldn't have gone otherwise as I cannot walk more than a short distance because of badly damaged knees). All went well until I glided through the security check. Suddently I was stopped by two security guys who informed me that Segways are not allowed in the facility. I immediately said that I am disabled and need the Segway to get to our seats. One of the security guys got on the phone and we were joined by four other security types. Segways are too dangerous was their mantra. Since I was royally pissed at that point, my son, who is a physician, more calmly took over the negotiations. They refused to budge on their no-Segway policy, but offered either a wheelchair and someone to push it or a powered scooter for me to use to get to our seats. My son urged me to accept one of those options and to give up any furthert arguments regarding the Segway because the security people we were dealing with were not high enough on the administrative ladder to alter policy. I chose a wheelchair and was pushed to a restricted elevator and to the area of our seats while my son walked my Seg close behind. There was a storage area for wheelchairs and scooters near our seats where he dropped off the Seg. My pusher was waiting at the end of the game to reverse the route. Once outside the gate, I glided the considerable distance to our car.

After cooling down from the confrontation and having given the matter some thought, I have mixed feelings about what transpired. From the standpoint of "Segway rights", it was obviously a negative situation. But I have to admit that they accomodated my needs well with the mobility aid they provided. I haven't decided yet whether or not to pursue the Segway issue by contacting someone involved in facility management who is at the policy-making level. Right now, I'm trying to enjoy Christmas day.

Sven,

Under the circumstances I think you made a good choice, go watch the game.
As you stated the person you needed was not available so you knew when to "fight the fight".

When I first spoke with the Jacksonville Jags, you know the team Houston beats without fail, the only thing they knew about the Segway was that their Mascot did goofy things with one.

After some discussion and info from DRAFT I'm now "that Segway dude with the bad legs".

I would contact the director of disabled services at Reliant and see whats up.
The one downside is that they may say yes to your Seg but want you to buy handicap accessible seating, often at a up-charge.

Please lets us know both here and at DRAFT how you make out.

Happy Holidays,
Alan

drmarty
12-26-2006, 05:06 AM
This "Segways are dangerous" attitude is extremely frustrating. And I don't know the way around it. Logic doesn't seem to work. You are trying to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

12 miles an hour is too fast. Well how fast does you car go? Do you usually drive out of your driveway at 100 mph? Or down the street in front of your house at full speed? Of course not. You use common sense (and obey the law)

I guess if you knew ahead of time that they were going to take you to your seat it might have gone over a little easier. It is also frustrating that they don't treat the scooter riders etc. the same way.

But you did get to spend the day with your son. Hard to beat.

Merry Christmas

Marty

Sven
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
After playing phone tag I finally was able to speak with the person in charge of services for the disabled at Reliant Park in Houston. The Park is a huge complex that includes an arena and football stadum. I wanted to know what the Park's policy was regarding Segways as well as the basis for the policy. In my original post, I described how I was denied use of my Segway within Reliant Stadium.

After a long conversation I came away with the following information. Segways are not allowed within the Park's arena and stadum. The basis for this policy is that the Park does not wish to assume liability for any mishaps that could occur with the use of an unapproved medical devise. The Park will provide an approved mobility aid (wheelchair or scooter) upon request. They will provide storage for a Segway used to get from the parking lots to the stadium or arena entrances. The Park also has designated drop-off areas within 25 yards of the several entrances to facilities for use by those who have impaired mobility and arrangements can be made to have a wheelchair or scooter waiting at the curb. The person I spoke with also said that other special arrangement will be made to accomodate the needs of a disabled person if he is called in advance.

From the standpoint of "Segway rights", the key hurdle appears to be its unapproved status as a medical devise and associated liability fears specific to allowing the use of such equipment. I do not know if an ADA-based challenge to Reliant's policy would fly. I can only conclude that the Park is making a good-faith effort to insure that disabled individuals can attend their events.

Desert_Seg
01-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Sven,

I have to agree with you. The park is making every effort to accommodate the disabled, even to the point of having their own "fleet" of mobility devices. I think any assault on this policy would likely fail.

What was interesting to me was the unapproved medical device. What constitutes an approved medical device? FDA approval? Insurance company approval? AMA approval? None of those companies have anything to do with the ADA and related laws so what is "approved".

If you don't find it too much of a bother, could you call back and ask for a list of "approved" devices and ask how such a list was generated? This, I believe, could be the chink in the armor.

Steven

Tarkus
01-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Sven,

I have to agree with you. The park is making every effort to accommodate the disabled, even to the point of having their own "fleet" of mobility devices. I think any assault on this policy would likely fail.

What was interesting to me was the unapproved medical device. What constitutes an approved medical device? FDA approval? Insurance company approval? AMA approval? None of those companies have anything to do with the ADA and related laws so what is "approved".

If you don't find it too much of a bother, could you call back and ask for a list of "approved" devices and ask how such a list was generated? This, I believe, could be the chink in the armor.

Steven

Thanks Steve. Reliants policy is flawed because of the "non approved" nonsense, as you stated.

Here is one of my favorite quotes, thanks to Jerry at DRAFT :

Defining Assistive Devices

One of the dangers of definitions that they may be imprecise with ever-growing changes in technology, in 1991 Attorney General Richard Thornburgh in publishing the first regulations in implementing the ADA consistently said that "there would no exhaustive list of devices and services protected under the ADA because any attempt to do so would omit the new devices that would become available with emerging technology".

and just for kicks:

Assistive Technology Act of 1998

In this act congress defined Assistive Technology as “any device item piece of equipment, or products system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individual with disabilities.”

Their policy is based on bad thinking and no legal premise. Yes they offer other devices, but the law allows for the Segway.

So it's not a problem that the Segway is not FDA approved (Thank God), it's a problem with people making policy that violates Federal Law.

Be Big,
Alan

segmental
01-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks to all you for this thoughtful discussion.

Iced In in Dallas