PDA

View Full Version : curious about i167 versions, differences

BillPaxton
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
My i167 is dark grey, has a blue button. I reads by the serial number "v.12.0 controller unit software". My wife's i167 is light grey, has a red button (hers has only about 40 hours on it) and has no software version on the front. Does anyone know the progression of button colors, shade of the unit, etc? I'd just like to know what the differences are.

+B

KSagal
12-18-2006, 11:19 PM
The official color of the i167 is Titanium. It is a two toned Grey...

The official color of the i170 is, I believe, Midnight blue. I always thought of it as near black, but clearly not black.

My first impression is that you have a i170, and your wife has a i167, but I could easily be wrong.

Mechanically, both machines are the same, except a bit of color.

The red button thing has to do with the first runs of the handlebars. THey started with a red button, but after an upgrade or two of the hardware, the factory started using a blue button. This was not a particular field modification, just as they broke or malfunctioned, they would be replaced with the blue button style.

That button is just a rubber cap. I have seen them worn out, or ripped, and the rubber can be replaced without any other changes. Typically, red means old, blue means maybe not so old.

I am hardly a competent historian. THere are others on this forum that can give more and probably better informed info, but this should get you started...

wwhopper
12-18-2006, 11:29 PM
These are the early Segways - the ones that started this whole thing.

Somewhere along the line it was thought that the Red button got too much attention and it was changed to blue.

For those of us Red button owners, we know that we are often asked in the middle of a demo, "what does this RED button do" at which point the demoee pushes it. We all know that does nothing while the machine has someone on it, and it's platform buttons are depressed.

Red buttons are very rare, if you have one, you get the cool glider award!

BillPaxton
12-19-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks guys! Its funny my wife's was extremely low use (the seller estimated under 40 miles and from the look of it, it may as well have been brand new and the box as well) and mine was used by a college student. So I have scuffs, wear, paint smears where he sideswiped drywall, etc. So we assumed the red button must be a newer model and she has been gloating about that. Now I have new fenders on the way and hopefully eventually new tires, looks like she'll have the old goat now! [pretty sure mine's a 167 tho, its clearly light grey, just a darker "light" than hers]. I'll post a photo when I get home