PDA

View Full Version : Lost in time

citivolus
12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I find it curious that when I log in the time of the posts is one hour earlier than when I am not logged in. I assume it means there is something odd with daylight savings but why would it go the wrong way?

Oh, in case anyone is interested... OS X 10.4.8 using pool.ntp.org for time sync.

KSagal
12-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I know that Ebay usually refers to all time as Pacific Standard, which is okay, and sometime corrected for by my computer, sometimes not...

I wonder if this forum uses Central time or some such thing, and then some computers correct and some do not...

citivolus
12-15-2006, 11:05 PM
I could understand if the time was always off by 1 hour but it depends on whether I am logged in. Since my browser clears everything when I shut it down, I have to log in every time but it's just another click. So when I first hit the site, before logging in, it seems like I'm on Atlantic standard time and it changes to Eastern after logging in. For instance, your post shows as 10:31 before and it changes to 9:31 after. It is perfectly consistent, and while it isn't a big deal, I do find it just a bit odd that it would change with the setting of a login bit.

falves
12-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Have you set your time zone setting in the "user CP" area? I would guess that what you're seeing is the difference in time between your time zone and the server's time zone. The forum software can only know "when (where) you are" if you're logged in and uses your settings for time zone. If you're not logged in, it uses the server's default setting.

-Fernando