PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

mwnaido
12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to get their Segway fully or partially covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield? I have MS and cannot walk unaided anymore. My doctor suggested that I get a segway in order to be mobile. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Mark

KSagal
12-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I am not in the know, but I would speak to the great folks at WWW.DRAFT.cc (http://www.DRAFT.cc)

BillPaxton
12-16-2006, 09:32 AM
First call Segway. They just got the federal gov't to cover ibots for disabled vets, so the gov't recognizes the technology as beneficial to disabled people - maybe they could provide some ammo. Ibot to segway may be a stretch, but its a starting point. The call BCBS and ask them directly why it ISNT covered. My wife works with them every day as a pharm rep and she has to talk them into covering new drugs and so on - sometimes its just a matter of making them realize the benefits.

bystander
12-16-2006, 10:00 AM
First call Segway. They just got the federal gov't to cover ibots for disabled vets, so the gov't recognizes the technology as beneficial to disabled people - maybe they could provide some ammo. Ibot to segway may be a stretch, but its a starting point. The call BCBS and ask them directly why it ISNT covered. My wife works with them every day as a pharm rep and she has to talk them into covering new drugs and so on - sometimes its just a matter of making them realize the benefits.If one calls Segway, Inc. about it, they will tell you that they are unable to support the PT as a medical device for a whole assortment of reasons. Not trying to dampen your good intentions, but there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

Dean Kamen gave everyone a good chewing out at the DRAFT dinner and at SegFest about what would happen if the PT became primarily a medical device instead of a consumer device. Check out some of the threads here on SC that were written in late October about medical related uses of the PT.

The whole point of the PT is that it is a consumer spin-off of a medical device (the i-bot). Not to say that a consumer can't buy a PT as a mobility aid, but to categorize it into the medical pigeonhole would unfortunately increase it's price greatly (maybe triple?) and then it would put it out of reach of those it could help. Also re-classification would effectively take it off the market for several years while it was re-desinged to be as "safe" as a true medical device would be. And the top speed would probably have to come down a bit. Not to many of us enthusiasts want to go there.

BillPaxton
12-16-2006, 10:37 AM
lots of good points. I didn't think that all the way though. Guess that's why I'm not Dean Kamen

Tarkus
12-16-2006, 12:01 PM
If one calls Segway, Inc. about it, they will tell you that they are unable to support the PT as a medical device for a whole assortment of reasons. Not trying to dampen your good intentions, but there has been a lot of discussion on the subject.

Dean Kamen gave everyone a good chewing out at the DRAFT dinner and at SegFest about what would happen if the PT became primarily a medical device instead of a consumer device. Check out some of the threads here on SC that were written in late October about medical related uses of the PT.

The whole point of the PT is that it is a consumer spin-off of a medical device (the i-bot). Not to say that a consumer can't buy a PT as a mobility aid, but to categorize it into the medical pigeonhole would unfortunately increase it's price greatly (maybe triple?) and then it would put it out of reach of those it could help. Also re-classification would effectively take it off the market for several years while it was re-desinged to be as "safe" as a true medical device would be. And the top speed would probably have to come down a bit. Not to many of us enthusiasts want to go there.

All truth.
But the chewing out should have only been directed to his people or reps. of INC.

We like it the way it is, we do not need FDA approval to use the Seg as a mobility aid. To get it paid for is another matter.

Now as far as getting BC to cover, I have watched this very closely and nobody has pulled it off yet.

I understand that some of the more "progressive" Blue plans have given the Seg a #, but that number is a exclusion.

I wish you luck, you would be the first,

Alan

PS-As sated above check out DRAFT Chat, there are a few who have taken a shot but nobody has pulled it off.

And I wouldn't expect that to change.

Sunday
12-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I asked my VR agency if they could buy a Segway for me, and they stated that they would do so if I had a letter from both a Doctor and a Physical Therapist indicating the need for it. Since I am not mobility impaired, just visually impaired, I did not pursue the matter.

Insurance plans can purchase apporved medical devices, but the Segway is being used as Assistive Technology-which falls into the realm of Vocational Rehabilitation. Also, most states have a low interest loan program available for acquiring assistive technology. Grants are also usually available to cover some of the cost. Digital Credit Union offers a Mobility Loan, with lower interest rates than their recreational loan-which is usually used to fund the Segway. One more thing, if you're receiving Social Security benefits, contact a benefit coordinator and establish a PASS (Plan for Achieving Self Sufficiency). This program allows you to set aside a portion of your benefits to pay for items you want. You could use the PASS to pay for the loan, since it would be a small amount each month being utilized rather than a lump sum.

Good luck

bystander
12-16-2006, 01:32 PM
But the chewing out should have only been directed to his people or reps. of INC.I see your point about where the chewing needed to be directed, and respect your opinion in this matter.

But I found it refreshing and signifigant that the message Dean Kamen delivered was deemed important enough by him to be delivered directly to the consumer base, and not rely on the info. to "trickle down" via other means.

drmarty
12-16-2006, 01:42 PM
There are analogies. As an orthopaedic surgeon I have written prescriptions for hottubs etc. Even swimming pools. These are not medical devices but consumer products used for medical reasons. Often times the patient was not trying to get his insurance to pay for it but was going to submit it on his taxes and let Uncle Sam foot part of the bill.

I am not a tax attorney. I don't know if this is doable (legal) or not. Remember you can claim anything on your taxes. You fill them out. It is only if someone questions you (can you say audit) that you will find out and then you only get one persons opinion (the auditor.) And that person is not the final say.

Is it worth the hassle and getting flagged for more audits? Up to you.

OK line up for your prescriptions.

Marty

Suzined
12-19-2006, 12:14 AM
I think it even easier than getting a prescription. Ask your medical doctor to recommend a Segway (also swimming at an expensive pool) and put a note in your chart. This gives you the color of law should you be audited. I remember being told I couldn't deduct a hi-fi system for my office...and the auditor's office had piped in music--I won the point. Don't fear the IRS, they are here to help us.:rolleyes: