PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old aussie loses a leg to a shark..

BringOnI2
12-11-2006, 05:51 AM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/viewer/index.php?pid=16471&rn=248153&cl=1394242&ch=253814

I hope this isn't being too forward.. but I just know there will be a follow up story to this, as the guys he was surfing with have said the next time they go to that beach they'll have Zac with them.

Story in print if the video doesn't work - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20865614-662,00.html

The first thought that sprung to mind was seeing him on that beach by Christmas, possibly riding an X2. I have no idea if he'd be able to stand on one even with a prosthesis by then, but he has 6 brothers to break it in for him :)

If a dealer were to donate one to him I'm guessing the publicity of it will pay for itself in extra sales?

SegwayDan
12-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Too bad about the kid, but that's pretty much the biz if you choose to surf in the ocean. After all, the ocean's more the shark's primordial lair than the kid's, and if anyone's about to learn a lesson from this, the kid is more apt to than the shark.

For one thing, the shark was quite "lenient" with him that day--that, or he wasn't as hungry as he might have been.

For a Segway dealer to try to "make hay" on this would be a bit too opportunistic in my mind. I think there has already been enough "good will" in this story with the shark sparing the kid's life. To try and ride on the coat tails of that sentiment would be too much of a stretch to be generally credible to be worth the cost to a dealer, even if there was one to be so interested.

For that matter, I should think a prosthesis manufacturer would be more likely to step up to the plate than a Segway dealer.

Tarkus
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Even if the dealer wanted to there are other issues.

I agree with Dan, the boy needs a prosthesis and rehab before he should think about riding a Seg.

As a person who lost use of my legs, I'm thankful that I had enough rehab to beat the odds and walk, well it ain't pretty, but its walking.

Then I worked with the Segway.

I wish both him and you all the best.

Regards,
Alan

dgbint
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi

We are the Australian distributors.
Of course we will be happy to speak with any prospective Segway user.

Point #1
Neither we nor Segway make any medical claims for Segway products.
They are general purpose machines, that find a wide range of uses in that rich spectrum of people out there.

Point #2
We have no medical qualifications, but seeking rehab and expert advice seems like common sense and good advice to me.

Point#3
We know of a Segway Chat member who goes by the handle of billc.
Bill is a qualified person with specific medical knowledge ( prosthesis ) and Segway knowledge.
He may well be a worthwhile contact, even though he is located in Melbourne.
If you need further contact info, please let me know.

Point#4
We are happy to arrange test glides, as and when appropriate.

Best wishes
Michael
Segway Southern Cross