PDA

View Full Version : Floor Mat

TX2Wheels
12-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Ok line up and call me stupid but what will happen if you try to ride the unit without the floor mat????

Sal
12-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Nothing happens, apart from some less than secure friction for under your feet.

:-)

-Sal

bystander
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Nothing happens, apart from some less than secure friction for under your feet.

:-)

-SalAs long as you keep the rider detect switches down all the time, that is. Having the stock mat there helps keep all four down, even if your feet aren't lined up with the switches.

If not conscious of your foot position when riding w/o the mat, be prepared for reduced performance mode occasionally.

Don't try this, but if you happen to be standing on the platform without depressing any of the switches, it will go to RBM, which can be more challenging to ride, as only partial torque attempts to keep you balanced - very "slushy".

It's also probably hazardous to attempt to ride with the comfort mat only - not using the stock mat under it.

Not using the mat means your feet have to be in a more restricted space to avoid reduced performance mode. Can't receommend it unless you have a good reason.

One more thing the mat does is protect the top of the platform from scuffs caused by grit embedded in the soles of your shoes.

Sal
12-09-2006, 02:28 PM
don't try this, but if you happen to be standing on the platform without depressing any of the switches, it will go to RBM, which can be more challenging to ride, as only partial torque attempts to keep you balanced - very "slushy".

I like to call it "drunken Segway Mode." :)

ryan_walters
12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
I like to call it "drunken Segway Mode." :)

It's also been called (around here at least) "drunken balance mode".

I can only do it on my I2 with socked feet, as I can get up on the outside edges of my feet to let the rider detect switches up. This is with the mats installed of course. I wouldn't ride it without. Remember if no rider detect switches are pressed, if it goes more than 4 feet (or so, depending of speed), you'll get stick shake, then you'll loose balance mode (drunken?) altogether, which if you're still standing on it means you won't be for long.

Sal
12-10-2006, 08:49 AM
It also works if you can get up on top of the gearboxes.

-Sal

BE CAREFUL!

ryan_walters
12-10-2006, 06:26 PM
On a gen1, that works (getting up on the gearboxes). I think it would be kind of hard to do on a gen2, with the gearboxes being further into the wheel 'hub', with fenders around the top.