PDA

View Full Version : Dean Kamen's LEGO Millyard

JohnM
11-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Largest permanent installation of Lego bricks in the world, 3 million pieces, right here in beautiful ManchVegas.
http://www.wmur.com/news/10424456/detail.html#

KSagal
11-30-2006, 03:03 AM
I have not seen this, but I suspect it is quite something to look at...

While in California for SegwayFest, I took my family and we extended our stay for more than an additional week, to make a family vacation of it...

In addition to the usual diversions, one of my 6 year old son's best highlights was our trip to "Lego-Land" in Southern California... It included some lifesized dinosaurs, and many other incredible sculptures, made from, you guessed it, Legos!

I still do not understand the six foot tall letters on the drive in, they seemed to start the word "Welcome" but they either mis-spelled it, or it said something in another language... Possibly Sweedish?

Sal
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
John,

Thanks for the link. Being an avid LEGO enthusiast (technic more than brick sculpting) far longer than a Segway enthusiast, I am always amazed at the versatility of little plastic bricks... or more accurately, that of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS). :)

-Sal

Gihgehls
11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm loving my NXT Mindstorms set. Still getting the hang of studless construction though.

Sal
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm loving my NXT Mindstorms set. Still getting the hang of studless construction though.

I'm glad you brought that up... I believe that the reason LEGO is straying from studs now is that their patent for studded bricks ran out.

I think this has greatly limited the possibilities for sets, in that standard sets how have fewer and fewer studded bricks.

LEGO should continue to provide plenty of studded bricks / beams equal in amount to the studless beams and angle joints that now proliferate sets.

-Sal

Gihgehls
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Studless has its pros and cons. It is easier to build 'outwards', but on the other hand, it takes a few more pieces to make something strong enough to bear weight. I'm loving the new motors though!!