PDA

View Full Version : Consumer version by end of this year?

ftropea
10-03-2002, 11:52 PM
From the newsroom, this article seems to hint at the possibility of seeing the consumer version by the end of this year:

"The HT can speed along at around 20 mph. The U.S. Postal Service and the National Park Service are currently conducting trials for commercial use. A consumer version, which will be slower and cost less than the industrial version, will likely appear in limited quantities by the end of the year."

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=242

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

n/a
10-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Hope u are right. Even so I expect the first consumers will be very carefully selected.

Do we have reason to believe this news article any more than other news articles which mention various dates and prices?

ftropea
10-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, it's Silicon.com... They were the one that reported that Ginger wasn't IT.. sooo, you decide how much weight validity you would give their reports :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
10-07-2002, 06:03 PM
BTW, officially I'm predicting we'll see the consumer version announced before the end of the year - perhaps the ability to pre-order them as well - and see Segway LLC begin shippment in March of 2003.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

cosmo
01-30-2003, 04:43 AM
Frank - Great prediction about preordering and the March shipment date...I was just passing time until March and thought I would go back and read SegwayChat from the beginning of time :)

-cosmo-
Segway Pix Fix:
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=767

Brooster
01-30-2003, 09:16 AM
The great surprise, of course, is that it turned out to be the i-Series, and not the p! I guess it's because the LLC was already tooled up to produce the bigger ones for the commercial and government tests. Now the big question is, will we see the p before 2004? I'd put money against it. Well, maybe just before Christmas 2003?

Brooster

n/a
01-30-2003, 01:24 PM
quote:Now the big question is, will we see the p before 2004? I'd put money against it. Well, maybe just before Christmas 2003?

My guess is that Segway LLC is studying the pre-order stats for the i series. If it tapers off, they will probably introduce the p series. My bet is that sales did decrease after the initial rush. If it hadnt I think Amazon would have come out with more press releases.

ftropea
01-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it would be the P series too.. I was quite surprised, but ultimately pleased, that it was the I (I really love my Segway i167!)

So while I made a good prediction, I was still slightly off.

OK, I predict the P series will be available for sale in July/August.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

Brooster
01-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Okay Frank, it's duly recorded! [8D]

Brooster

MrTechno
01-30-2003, 09:05 PM
It'll be interesting to see the price point it'll come in at. It'll certainly open up a whole new tier of consumer and that's pretty exciting. I love the model I have....but when the $599 one comes out in a few years I'll buy 'em for the kids!

mario-ramos
01-31-2003, 09:24 PM
One aspect that was not talked about so far is how democratic Segway is. It's like Internet. Is not like a car, that the richest man on world will have one 1000 times better than mine. ( Ferrari X VW Beetle, for example ). Like the Internet, wich is the same for me and for Bill Gates. This is democratic.
Mario

BruceWright
01-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Mario,

Haven't you heard about Bill Gates' secret personal internet?

It's just like ours, except he can also snoop on all of us naked.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

JosephM
02-01-2003, 12:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Anyway, just for my 2 cents, I think the iSeries is doing well. VERY well. But the real surge will be AFTER these things are shipped. Then people can see them and ride them. They'll understand what it does and then they'll go online and buy one or two. Those who have bought them NOW have taken a leap of faith.

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/icon_segway_happy.gif FIRST Pit News Mag @ www.pitnews.org

MrTechno
02-01-2003, 12:40 AM
I have no doubt we'll see another model in 2003.