PDA

View Full Version : City Segway Tours - Paris

nerfman39
11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
City Segway Tours grew out of Fat Tyre Bikes who give bicycle tours and they now have seven tours in Europe and the US, we took the one in Paris.

With a maximum group size of ten, the tour lasts between 4 an 5 hours depending on the traffic and weather. Everything starts with mandatory training in how to use and control your Segway and then heads off.

The machines looked to me like i167s, but I'm no expert, they had been well used, they claim to have had 5000 people through the tour in the last three years, and they are planning to move to i2s in the New Year.

We went in a group of ten and the time it took to complete the training for each individual made the wait a bit dull, but safety is important especially in the maniacal traffic of Paris.

The tour we took went from the Acadamie Militaire, to Les Invalides and across the Seine via the Alexander III bridge and into Place de la Concorde with a stop at a café in La Tuileries for Lunch. After a 30 minute stop it’s on to the Louvre then back over the Seine past the Musee D’Orsay and L’Assemblee National and La Tuileries to the tours end back at the main office.

Unfortunately the "jobsworths" at the Louvre are clamping down on riding across the courtyard, but being chased away was fun!

There are plenty of opportunities to get off and stretch the legs and take photos and they seemed to get the balance about right. We took a chance taking the tour at the beginning of November, but the weather was absolutely fabulous. The commentary is kept to a minimum but is relevant and informative.

The highlight for me apart from riding infront of the Eiffel Tower was riding "on the road" on the way back to the tour office, having eleven Segways on a one way street means you can take up the whole road, power to the people!!

There are two main options; the “Day” which runs from the middle of February to the end of November. As the Segway doesn’t offer any weather protection, due to the cold, the “Night” tour only runs from April to the end of October. Though you can book a personal tour outside these dates but only on a "if available" basis

As I am sure any Segway owner knows you do need to need to be prepared to take a few funny looks and answer a few questions from passers-by, but that’s just part of the fun. Trouble is in Paris you need to be able to speak about 6 different languages!!

The founder "Dave" is returning to Austin, Texas after the birth of his first child so "Mike" is going to be taking over. The staff were uniformly friendly even to a hack radio journalist like me

At 70euros per person it’s not cheap, but for a fun and different way to see Paris it can’t be beaten.

The radio spot goes out on Friday evening I could post an MP3 of it if anyone is interested

pam
11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Would love to have the MP3 posted. - or a link, whichever.
Thanks,
Pam

florin
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I also would like to have the MP3, please post it here.

wwhopper
11-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Like here in Washington DC.

They are one of the best Segway businesses in this town, and our local SEG has supported them often lending them our personal machines for extra large tours. And they supported us with SegwayfesT DC last year.

They have a good business model, and use up every last bit of Segway they can (therefore do not buy a used seg from these guys) but they give good TOUR.

I have given several friends gift certificates to the Paris and other european operations, and not one person has come back and said they had a bad glide.

They were one of the orginators of the "Segway Tour" along with Segway of Annapolis and Everglides in FL. Now Segway Tours have become a major Segway business in many cities all over the world.

Last year when we were looking for host hotels for SegwayfesT, we got the old "WHAT is a Segway?" This year (mostly because of the Segway Tours) we go, "We LOVE the SEGWAY TOURS - Come to our hotel"

What great ambassadors the Segway Tour operators are!

We just had a couple of friends who did the Philly tour (I-Glide) and came back with raves about it.

So a good Segway Tour operation is good for all of us. And as a local SEG leader who has to go into government hearings on the use of the Segway - I can tell you from experience, a good tour can help you, and a BAD TOUR OPERATION can really hurt your gliding rights.

So make sure if you have a tour operation in your town, that you go out and do some surprise inspections, send friends out to take the tour. Ask what the cost is if you join the tour on your own Segway, sometimes they will comp you, sometimes it is like 40 bucks.

But worth it to see how these businesses are portraying Segway usage in your town.

Have you ever seen a City Segway Tours Ad - NO, but you see their PR all over the place. They know how to make Segway Tours a news event! David Melbane and his staff know how to market a Segway Tour business!

otis
12-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Point of correction Bill Hopper, Segs in the City was one of the originators of segway tours not segway of Annapolis. Just for the record Segs in the City was the first operator in Annapolis, Washington DC, Baltimore and Gettysburg. Lets get our facts straight and take off our selling caps for a while!