PDA

View Full Version : Segway Chat Awards 2006

gbrandwood
11-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Moderators and fellow posters alike, what thinks ye on this merry little idea (sorry, just posted on the Segway on Ship thread and now think I'm a Captain Horatio McCallister :))...

As a bit of fun, and to recongise some stellar work carried out by moderators and chat members, why not have a Segway Chat Awards 2006, complete with nominations, short lists, awards and speeches? I think it might be quite good fun, and something great to post over Christmas when we're all feeling festive.

We could have lots of different categories (serious and fun), we'd need some impartial judges, well, you get the idea.

What do you think - I'd be happy to play a part in it, as a bit of work would be required, to sift through old posts, receive nominations etc. Who knows, it could become an annual event :D

There'd have to be a category for "Person mentioning Segway Polo the most", "Weirdest post", "Most political", "Most informative", "Most humerous", "Worst post", "Best post". "Posters Choice" (via a poll)... etc.

macgeek
11-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Mr_Laurenzano

"With the wind that sweeps thru the hollows of the doors, I keep a ear to the ground and think joyfully of a summer breeze.

He TRULY is The BEST of the Worst!

Jonathan

pam
11-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I think it would be a great idea, Gareth, particularly if you were to organize it. We should do it in this forum - I think it would be FUN!
Pam

gbrandwood
11-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I'd love to organise it! Deal. I'll get my thinking hat on and set the wheels in motion.

Five-Flags
11-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd love to organise it! Deal. I'll get my thinking hat on and set the wheels in motion.

Which in Gareth-speak means:

"I'm going for a glide!! Maybe I'll think about it along the way!" :D :D

gbrandwood
11-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I do most of my quality thinking when I'm gliding. I guess I've been a bit dumb in the few months I've not had my machine.

Desert_Seg
11-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I do most of my quality thinking when I'm gliding. I guess I've been a bit dumb in the few months I've not had my machine.

Dumb? Are you sure it was just the past few months? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Great idea....I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Steven

gbrandwood
11-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Ouch, Steven! Had that one coming!

I see it working like this:

1. We need to decide on the impartial judges. I suggest 3 judges + 1 moderator. Each judge can not vote on one of their own posts and must try to be impartial (as far as possible!).

Judge #1: Suggesting me!
Judge #2: ??
Judge #3: ??
+
Judge #4: ?? (must be a moderator)

The judges will form a panel responsible for agreeing the final list of categories, drawing up x number of nominations for each category (x dependin on number of categories) and ultimately deciding the winner (with reasons etc.).

2. Decide the categories. I'm suggesting we have the following, but we can all discuss, suggest categories and the Judges agree the final list, with a little description for each one.

Best overall post for 2006
Funniest post
Most informative
Most helpful member
Most controversial member
Best/worst signature
Best/worst avatar
????Some others????
+
"Viewers" choice - this category will be decided by a poll, with nominations submitted by any member who wishes (shortlisted by the judges).

{Do you think it should be judge based or entirely vote based?}

3. Then the nominations are posted and discussed in their own threads. Campaigning encouraged! Early December?

4. Judges huddle (email/chat/IM etc.) and come up with the winners - taking into account the original messages, discussions on the nomination threads and of course their own views.

5. Winners announced just before Christmas.

6. Winners then entitled to make a speech, as they take their place in history. Thread then locked!

None of this is set in stone - comments, suggestions appreciated.

Sal
11-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Can't wait to see the nominations! ;-)

-Sal

P.S. Rep points for a great idea!

wwhopper
11-06-2006, 07:54 AM
As the Past President of SEG America, I have seen, and spoken to many of the gliders involved in this chat site since almost the begninning. (well any of them past March of 2003 - not exactly the beginning, but close!)

There have been some witty posts, some useful post, and I have to admit some that were not so.

Count me in, if you want me to participate. If not, I will not take it personally.

pam
11-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Sal, would you like to be the moderator judge? We could switch off years.:)
Pam

gbrandwood
11-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Will, be glad to have you on board as a Judge. So, that leaves one more space, plus a space for a moderator.

florin
11-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Gareth, I don't mind to help judging. So you can count me in if you want.

gbrandwood
11-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Excellent! Just a moderaor then. If none are available (we should wait a few days), another member can stand in.

Murray Fisher
11-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I would like to see an award for the OLDEST Owner/Rider with the most miles since owned! Ho ho.

Put me down for 85 years 7 months with 4500 miles put on three 167, 180 and i2 owned three years 4 months.

Murray

gbrandwood
11-06-2006, 05:42 PM
That's quite an achievement! If there is to be such an award, I think we have a winner!

Timezkware Tim
11-07-2006, 03:18 AM
That's quite an achievement! If there is to be such an award, I think we have a winner!

Gareth, he's gliding around on a Segway i2, and he was born just 12 years after the model T was invented. Make that catagory!

Tim

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/US/08/06/model.t/story.modelt.jpghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/08/14/business/14segway_190x285.jpg
Then----------------------------Now

Sal
11-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Sal, would you like to be the moderator judge? We could switch off years.:)
Pam

Sure thing, I'd be happy to!

-Sal

gbrandwood
11-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Hey Sal, that's great - thanks for agreeing to help out.

We now have a complete compliment of Judges:

gbrandwood, UK
florin, Netherlands
wwhopper, Washington (USA)
Sal, Indianapolis (USA)I'm not sure which of us is Simon Cowell yet ;)

Next step, continue to receive ideas for categories etc., until Friday 10th November. After this point, the Judges can get together (virtually) to decide the final categories and next steps.

So all, please post ideas and categories...

florin
11-09-2006, 02:02 PM

gbrandwood, UK
florin, Netherlands

Next step, continue to receive ideas for categories etc., until Friday 10th November. After this point, the Judges can get together (virtually) to decide the final categories and next steps.

Did I miss something?

Somehow I feel that the title of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Z1MpcyqQU) is very appropiate for this thread.

Or are we supposed to start scanning all the discussions on SegwayChat before the end of the year, because if that's the case, I'm afraid we need more people in the jury, otherwise we will never make it before the end of the year to find the best post/topic.

gbrandwood
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
That's "Oh so funny" florin :D !

You've not missed anything. Plan is for anyone who is interested in suggesting a category to do so before tomorrow. From then onwards, the category list will be finalised by us Judges.

Once we have a final list of categories, we can start reviewing posts, everyone can start suggesting posts, and the judges get to decide on the final list of nominations. THe nominations will be published and the debating can begin! Then the judges get to decide the winners. Should be fun.

nickyboy
11-10-2006, 08:31 AM

gbrandwood, UK
florin, Netherlands

Nice to see that there are a couple of Europeans on the board. Nothing against our cousins over the pond you understand!

Gareth, can we vote on who gets to be Simon Cowell?

Nick

wwhopper
11-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Nice to see that there are a couple of Europeans on the board. Nick

And should include all members of the community, not just from one area or another.

Gliding is gliding no matter the land mass, and a Segway Smile translates no matter the language.

p.s. I have been called Simon from a couple of my clients, because I say what I feel, not what folks want to hear. (they are still customers too)

JohnM
11-11-2006, 01:43 AM
It may be too late to suggest an award category, but I'll toss one out anyway...

Resident Curmudgeon
Selection Criteria:
1. Long-time member of the forum, dating back to its earliest days in the Fall of 2002.
2. Regular contributor up to the present; 1000 posts minimum.
3. Segway Non-Owner; past, present and (likely) future.
4. Totally without shame.

Competition for this award is likely to be fierce.

pam
11-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Hmmm, we have some curmudgeon who ARE Segway owners - goodness knows, they should be included, but other than that, I think it's a great suggestion. :p
Pam

gbrandwood
11-11-2006, 11:18 AM
PM sent to all Judges...

KSagal
11-11-2006, 04:26 PM
How about "Most successful or longest lasting Troll"?

Or maybe just, "Best camoflaged post" Indicating a posting that seemed to hoodwink the most people into either believing the poster or the topic...

We have all seen common issues that went way off course, and people who professed to know that which they do not, and often these items go on for long long times...

I do find it entertaining to look back at some of the postings from people who made themselves out to be in the know, only to have a completely different reality come to pass.

JohnM
11-11-2006, 04:50 PM
If nominated I shall not run. If elected I shall not serve.

Happy Veterans Day, Karl.

florin
11-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Karl, you are too late with submitting your category. Perhaps we can use it next year.

wwhopper
11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
It may be too late to suggest an award category, but I'll toss one out anyway...Resident Curmudgeon

One of my DC SEG members always quotes you and states that Curmudgeon John M. said......

This made me smile!

gbrandwood
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
This thread has moved on to here: http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=14029

This thread will be locked.