PDA

View Full Version : Disney again. This time it's absurd !

Tarkus
10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
This, like the segway is not an approved device.

We all remember about a year ago the brohaha I started, being nice, just making a statement about me and my Segway on the Disney disability site.

There were like 3000 views and almost 20 pages , I think, and most was a bashing of me and my DEADLY SEGWAY.

Yet after posting a photo of this ....thing, the followers of the Mouse just think it's funny. Theses are not bad people but when you see the thing you have to wonder how they let it in.

The Seg thread drew the crowds of bashing.

Enough rambling, here's the link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1260534

Come on now, they argue about the Segway ?

Whats next, ATV's.

Regards,

Alan

bystander
10-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Alan,

Heh heh, your post refers to it as a "device".

But the item pictured may be a "vehicle". Note the appearance of what could be a brake light or turn indicator on the rear.

Without being too indelicate, the occupant may have been able to argue that her physical size may have not have been accommodated properly and safely by the standard rental wheelchairs at D-land.

Which is also to say, that's a rather large amount of momentum (occupant plus vehicle) to be rolling around and possibly striking people. I'd rather take the chance to be hit by baby carriages twenty times over, rather than once by this vehicle.

Tarkus
10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Alan,

Heh heh, your post refers to it as a "device".

But the item pictured may be a "vehicle". Note the appearance of what could be a brake light or turn indicator on the rear.

Without being too indelicate, the occupant may have been able to argue that her physical size may have not have been accommodated properly and safely by the standard rental wheelchairs at D-land.

Which is also to say, that's a rather large amount of momentum (occupant plus vehicle) to be rolling around and possibly striking people. I'd rather take the chance to be hit by baby carriages twenty times over, rather than once by this vehicle.

You got that right.

But come on,what are they thinking, thats a tank !

bystander
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
You got that right.

But come on,what are they thinking, thats a tank !It's really hard to tell what they're thinking, or NOT thinking in this case.

I can only speculate that the vehicle pictured is somewhat rare (for assistive use). If they let this one in, they may not expect there to be 24,000 others that say, "Why not me too?"

But the sighting may point out that someone, somewhere may have some flexibility.

And I do know of 24,000 folks who may see this and ask, "Why not me too?"

Tarkus
10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
It's really hard to tell what they're thinking, or NOT thinking in this case.

I can only speculate that the vehicle pictured is somewhat rare (for assistive use). If they let this one in, they may not expect there to be 24,000 others that say, "Why not me too?"

But the sighting may point out that someone, somewhere may have some flexibility.

And I do know of 24,000 folks who may see this and ask, "Why not me too?"

That's why I posted it.

After seeing that picture it's not a matter of disabilities.
If they let that thing in then all Segs should be allowed.

Just in case you missed it heres what the same folks had to say about the segway:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1044258&highlight=segway+ada

Regards,
Alan

Tarkus
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Just to follow up.

I spoke to the folks at Palmer today and was told that the trike in question is not an FDA approved device but it's road worthy. Huh....

When I asked about insurance paying, as kind of stated on their web site, I was told "possibly" ?

I was also told that with a mobility problem that it should be accepted as a wheelchair, although it misses the common wheelchair definition in many ways.

Sounds familiar !

Regards,
Alan