PDA

View Full Version : Segway at a flooring convention.

eJM
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I never knew you all existed (I mean this forum) until this morning. Happy to have found you.

A year and a half ago I had a heart attack and didn't know it. I was with a friend one day helping him load lumber in his truck and having some shortness of breath. Although I was not feeling particularly well that day, I didn't attribute it to anything unusual because, after all, I had been a smoker for 35 years. I quit several years earlier, but I knew my breathing was not like it should be. But this day was worse and after trying to convince me for weeks to go to a doctor to get a thorough checkup, he had his chance to take me to the Veterans Clinic right then. I didn't even have the energy to protest.

Turns out I have end stage COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). I have 37% lung capacity and walk around with a oxygen tank strapped to my back. But at least I still walk around -- somewhat. When I go to the grocery store here in my little town, the store is small enough for me to walk it and lean on a shopping cart, especially if I don't have any other physically demanding plans. But a shopping trip to Reno, where the stores are 2 or 3 times the size of our largest store, and where, if you enjoy shopping like I do, there are at least a half dozen locations around town to stop at, there's no way I can do all that without assistance.

I hate those slow-poke electric shopping carts at stores that have all the good stuff on shelves way out of reach. Getting up and down to look at everything is breath-taking to say the least. And none of the good stores, like those at the malls or the hotrod and computer stores and not one single clothing store has an electric cart. But complaining about my shopping experiences I will leave for another topic. I wanted to talk about something I thought I wasn't going to be able to do, until I had a flash of what I thought was ingenuity.

Every year, the largest gathering of floor covering professionals in the world takes place in Las Vegas at the Sands Expo Center. Surfaces (http://www.surfaces.com/) draws tens of thousands (where have you heard that term before) of participants and visitors and I have enjoyed going there a number of times over the years. In fact, I have been going to flooring conventions since my first one at "Market" in San Fransisco over 30 years ago. But they are just too big for me now. I very rarely see anyone in a scooter of any sort, and never have seen a Segway at a convention.

I wrote to the only Segway dealer in Las Vegas and to Segway Marketing with the hopes that they would provide me with a loaner for a few days during Surfaces in exchange for an article focusing on use by the mobility challenged (and I've never written about that subject before) and the exposure it would get in the flooring industry as a means of transportation in and around the huge carpet mills and other manufacturing facilities.

The Las Vegas dealer sent me a price list. Segway waited 3 weeks to answer me, just to say, "sorry..." no. But all was not lost. I happened to get a call from a former customer who chatted me up one day. I mentioned the idea and the let-down. I told him I would prob'ly rent one anyway, but I was disappointed. He said he knew someone... "let me call you back in a few minutes." I thought it was just a polite brush-off and a way to end the call, so I exchanged good-byes.

He actually called me back just a few minutes later. Gave me a number and a name in Oakland and told me to call him. I did and the guy already knew what was what and asked if I could take the long way to Las Vegas, via Oakland to pick up a new Segway to borrow for the convention. I said it was in February and he said the latest models should be in then and it would be fine.

Man, am I excited. I have spent the last few hours reading about Segways and in the process, found you all here. I didn't realize there was already a large group of dedicated people with disabilities (pardon my terminology as I am new and still in denial to some extent) promoting the use of Segways. In fact, I hadn't realized how much the quality of my life could improve if I had one of these of my own.

So, the coming months will be highly charged for me as I get ready for a great adventure. I will be going to Surfaces, not only to continue my 35 year affair with an industry I love, but to help promote my latest venture and would-be legacy, a support site for flooring professionals and consumers alike, and to begin what I hope will be my renewed freedom to shop until I drop.

Thanks for being here.

Jim

Sal
10-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

I hope you stop here often and share your experiences.

Many of us who own Segways in fact are able-bodied and use the device as a more economical form of transport, but there are also many members who do use the Segway as a mobility aid, and their lives are enriched because of it. And through use of the Segway they can enrich the lives of the ones they love.

Thanks for sharing your story, and we would love to hear more.

-Sal

Tarkus
10-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

I hope you stop here often and share your experiences.

Many of us who own Segways in fact are able-bodied and use the device as a more economical form of transport, but there are also many members who do use the Segway as a mobility aid, and their lives are enriched because of it. And through use of the Segway they can enrich the lives of the ones they love.

Thanks for sharing your story, and we would love to hear more.

-Sal

As Sal has said the Segway is a product of "Universal Design".

Designed for the "every man" and adopted by a population, the disabled.
That's the true beauty of the HT.

For more info on the Segway and the disabled visit us at www.DRAFT.cc as well as here at Segwaychat.

Welcome to Segwaychat !

Alan

Jon
10-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Welcome, Jim!

There's a high likelihood that you'll be hooked as soon as you experience gliding effortlessly on the convention floor. So, I'll say that *when* you choose your Segway, you'll want to review a couple of issues:

1. Does standing upright over time fatigue you at present? And, do you find that standing on the Segway is fatiguing? If so, you may want to look at the original i-series models. These now-older units (i167, i170, and the newest version, the i180) have a non-moving control shaft, to which a SegSeat may be affixed. Now discontinued, they may be more difficult to find. Alternatively, the new i2 series models are different in that the left-right movement (actual tilting) of the control shaft activates the steering left-right, and thus a SegSeat as currently configured cannot be affixed to an i2. Persons with balance issues may also prefer the original i-series models. Both types are a lot of fun, and will significantly extend your range (eg: your "walking distance").

2. Go for the lithium batteries! They will enhance your range and are easier to maintain. My only issue with them is that you cannot travel on an airplane with the lithium batteries, which may be moot for you if you aren't planning on flying with your Segway. Alternatively, you may certainly ship a set of batteries in advance to wherever you might go, since they're easy to mount and remove from the PT.

3. Don't be confused by the HT-PT designation. :-) The product was originally known as the Segway Human Transporter (HT). Now Segway LLC refers to it as the Segway Personal Transporter (PT). Still a Segway-- only the name has slightly changed!

4. Stay tuned to this board! I've found Segway Chat to be an excellent source of information and support in just about every sphere regarding Segways. And, listen to Tarkus' advice-- he and his affliliated organization and colleagues are tireless advocates for persons with disabilities exploring the Segway as a way to expand one's horizons.

-= Jon =-

eJM
10-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks to all for a nice welcome. I was doing some more reading on the Segway and came across a fairly long movie in relation to a KETs tire (I think that was the designation). It reminded me of something I realized when I bought my first backpack for my oxygen tank.

http://grumpsplace.com/images/misc/oxy012c_tn.JPG

If I had shown any interest in these cool backpacks -- and the associated activities that go with them -- oh, 30 or 40 years ago, I prob'ly would have never got to the point where I am now and have to wear one as life support. I was never interested in hiking or sports or any of that. Watching that movie of those people taking glides through cobblestone streets, along the creek and having those exciting competitions is inspiring. I don't have a lot of time left now, but I am hoping I will be able to spend part of it doing something similar to what I should have done 30 or 40 years ago.

Tarkus, I joined the DRAFT site just before posting here for the first time. Haven't posted there yet, but have read a lot of the content. I applaud the efforts of all involved there and hope that I can take advantage of it too.

Jon, believe it or not, I still do a little work on flooring. I know that's mostly on my knees, but what I mean to say is that, possibly in rebellion to my new limitations, I have periods of activity that show me I am capable of the level of exertion required to operate one of these. Yes, I can stand upright, backpack and all, for a fairly long stretch. It's the climbing of steps and distances I have to walk that make me short of breath.

I saw those seats. They looked great, but I didn't realize they only worked for the older models. While watching the competitions in that movie, it actually looked similar to the action of turning on snow skis (yeah, I actually took up skiing once during one of my many attempts to quit smoking - smoking always won out). The newer models look more interactive than what the older ones required. Is that right? I thought I saw another seat design that had a post or something directly up from the platform that held a seat.

The batteries banned from airlines wouldn't effect me. I haven't tried, but some of my acquaintances in the o2 world have warned me that it is not possible to take my own o2 onboard an aircraft. Airlines prefer to rent me theirs for something like $500.00 -- no matter how short the flight. Of course, that means I would have to arrange for more o2 at my destination and... oh what a hassle flying would be. But I don't, at this time, have much interest in flying anywhere. I live in the most beautiful part of the country in the Sierra-Nevadas of Northern California and everywhere else I want to go can be reached by driving the most fun car I have ever hot-rodded.

click for larger view
http://grumpsplace.com/images/auto/tc2001-0327_s.jpg (http://grumpsplace.com/images/auto/tc2001-0327_l.jpg)

I think a Segway would fit nicely inside there, or even on the trailer hitch I have attached to my custom suspension system.

Yes, I will stay tuned here. This looks like an interesting message board and a great group of people. Thanks for this support section and for all the enthusiast forums I have been enjoying. I may have to get a used Segway and want to customize it some and this looks like the place to be.

Best R'gards,

Jim

Tarkus
10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
There are some late model I180 for sale on the DRAFT site.

I don't know much about the poster, he has provided enough info to get the ball rolling.

Good Luck,
Alan

mohammed_322003
10-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Thank you
Eng/ Mohammed Youssef