PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new member

Sven
09-24-2006, 06:12 PM
I would like to introduce myself to those of you who participate in this forum. I am both recently disabled (damaged knees) and a new owner of a used HT. I've already learned a lot of useful information from Segway Chat, particularly this forum, and look forward to gaining more insight in the future. I would be especially interested in posts from those who have checked their Segway on an airline, loaded their Segway into a taxi, traveled into malls and stores, and used their Segway on very crowded sidewalks, such as on the strip in Las Vegas. The Segway appears to be the solution for my mobility problems and I would like to get as much use out of it as possible.

Tarkus
09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Welcome Sven,

Happy to have you here.

Be sure to also check in at WWW.DRAFT.cc for more information on the Segway and the disabled.

All of the above things I have done with my HT and the gruop at DRAFT does these things all the time.

Regards,
Alan

Sal
09-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I would like to introduce myself to those of you who participate in this forum. I am both recently disabled (damaged knees) and a new owner of a used HT. I've already learned a lot of useful information from Segway Chat, particularly this forum, and look forward to gaining more insight in the future. I would be especially interested in posts from those who have checked their Segway on an airline, loaded their Segway into a taxi, traveled into malls and stores, and used their Segway on very crowded sidewalks, such as on the strip in Las Vegas. The Segway appears to be the solution for my mobility problems and I would like to get as much use out of it as possible.

Welcome Sven! As Tarkus mentioned, check out Draft and the other sections of this site for great info and insights!

-Sal

singman
09-24-2006, 08:44 PM
I can't speak about airlines or taxis, but I have had a lot of fun experiences in malls, and in crowded conditions. I have Osteoarthritis in my knees and hips and my Segway I167 is a real blessing to me.

I made a copy of my handicap parking permit and attached to the front of the machine in a plastic carrier for protection. One look at the handicap sticker and I don't get any objections. The folding cane sticking out of the front bag is probably another good indication of need.

First of all do not take your Segway into a crowded area until you feel comfortable riding it. I started out going around the block and up and down curb cutouts until I was brave enough and felt competent enough.

After that I graduated to the pathway around the lake near our house. Most bikers will let you know they're coming by, but some think their doing the cross country racing circuit and fly by like a bat out of hell without a warning. These are the times you can get easily startled if not prepared.

Once I felt extremely comfortable then I graduated to stores and malls. I probably go slower than most people walk, but I have the thought in the back of my mind that I may be the first Segway in the place and don't want to leave a bad impression.

Be prepared to answer lot's of questions. I like to tell people about the returning Vets from Iraq who are now using Segways instead of wheelchairs. It makes for a good conversation starter, and people are real receptive when they realize the positive effects it can have. I try to smile a lot and maybe that helps to ease peoples fears or apprehensions. It's not just a neat toy, but something with a real purpose and use.

I took it to our Minnesota State Fair and the response was overwhelming and warm towards the use of the Segway. I'm thinking about having a card made up with the dealers name and my own as I have referred a lot of people his way. (Now there's an idea for Segway to consider, printed owner referal cards, I'd pay the cost gladly).

I've had occasion to use it on our Light Rail and I leave it in balance and use a long velcro strap to keep it from moving too much. About an inch back and forth, and my front carrier is good padding between it and the wall.

To load it in my van I have a folding suitcase ramp that works quite well. I can lift it out of the van, but going in is a lot harder to muscle in.

Welcome to the world of Segway!!

Sven
09-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome. And thank you Singman for your detailed and very helpful response. When I purchased my rig only the red key came with it (the dealer has ordered a full set). With just the full-power mode available, I've had a few anxious moments trying to become a skilled rider, but I'm getting there. From what I have read so far, my first generation model fits my needs better than the latest versions.

I designed and constructed ramps tailored to my MINI Cooper and believe it or not, with the rear seats folded down, the Segway fits nicely. I power up. Bringing the rig down the ramps (power off) under control has been somewhat of a challenge, but it is manageable. There was a time when I was strong enough to easily lift a Segway without ramps, but I'm older and wiser now. A stained back is no fun.

I hope to add something more substantive to the forum in the future. Again, your hospitality is appreciated.

Tarkus
09-24-2006, 11:01 PM
As far as airlines I have Gate Checked my HT on all major U.S. airlines.

Never a TSA problem.

I preboard and ride HT Seg to the door of the plane.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/DSCF0005-1.jpg

When I land it's waiting for me at the gate. Ok I'm anal about my stuff !!

Taxis, any company that has vehicles with wheelchair access will take. you.

Crowded places. Two Superbowl weeks, NASCAR Races, Newark, Hartsfield, LAX airports.

NYC, San Francisco, Vegas Chicago............

NFL Football, MLB and every building I've ever tried to enter.

Most shopping Malls without questions. Never been thrown out of any where.

The secret is to know you rights under the law and carry a copy with you.
You can get this info on DRAFT by clicking Advocacy/documents. Of coure join us at Draft Chat.

And don't be afraid to ask for the ADA Compliance person if yo encounter a problem. Many times the first line of security does not know the law.

Important links from DRAFT:

http://www.draft.cc/draft3/Portals/0/DRAFT%20ADA%20Notice.pdf

http://www.fta.dot.gov/civilrights/ada/civil_rights_3893.html

and many others plus "whats New" section loaded with the latest work done for our cause.

Alan

Sal
09-25-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking about having a card made up with the dealers name and my own as I have referred a lot of people his way. (Now there's an idea for Segway to consider, printed owner referal cards, I'd pay the cost gladly).

Segway tried "referral" sometime ago, where current owners handed out cards to prospective buyers, and if the buyer bought an HT, the referring owner got a discount on accessories. I handed out a few cards, but alas... no one bought!

As for printing up cards for your dealer, it's a wonderful idea, and many do carry their dealer's cards (though I don't know how many customers pay themselves for advertising for their dealer).

I do think your enthusiasm for the device is laudable, and you need to continue to be the best ambassador you can, THAT is going to sell the philosophy of the machine first and foremost: you, a smile, and respect, all of which you're already doing, and that's free!

-Sal

Sven
09-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Tarkus: You have answered well my concerns about airline-checking an HT. I like the protection you give to your Seg. My model does not have the hoops on each side of the platform that yours has- is this an add-on? They look like handy lifting points. Also, where did you get the small handicap sticker? I have an automobile handicap display card, but it is much larger. Thanks for your help. Sven

Tarkus
09-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Tarkus: You have answered well my concerns about airline-checking an HT. I like the protection you give to your Seg. My model does not have the hoops on each side of the platform that yours has- is this an add-on? They look like handy lifting points. Also, where did you get the small handicap sticker? I have an automobile handicap display card, but it is much larger. Thanks for your help. Sven

The lifting handles are from the Segway XT and can be ordered from Sgeway INC.

The XT has been discontinued so I would check stock.

I don't have the part # handy but they are $199.00 a set.
You will need to trim the legs for it to fit an I series.

As far as the sticker, I scanned my parking placard and shrunk it. Legal, who knows but again I have never been question about it.

Alan

Tarkus
09-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Remember, if your Segway has the Lion batteries it MAY NOT BE CHECKED ON COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS.

polo_pro
09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Check out http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=13254 and make a bid for the lifting handles. A bunch of us are pooling money and plan to part out an XT when Sam's relists the item in Oct.

I think the bid for the lifting handles is $100 at the moment by Joe. Please make sure to read the start of this thread for conditions and restrictions. While this looks like an auction, I've set it up to minimize the number of people involved (favoring people who want to buy alot and/or expensive parts) and prevent bidding abuse. Your bid is not a commitment yet...I'll reconfirm everyone's bid just before we purchase.