PDA

View Full Version : Thread gone ???Inventor/Plomoh you there?

skydiver
09-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I saw this on the twilight zone once...

I am guessing Pam took it down because people will try it.

Thanks Plomoh, at least I know that I can still use it for daily commuting.

I very rarely go top speed, and I sure as hell do not jump off it.

I know I know, I am boring.

Oh yah thank Eyore for me too!!!!!!

polo_pro
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
But Eeyore's been taken hostage. 8^) 8^) 8^) I was told something about, "It's for his own good." Eeyore didn't go quietly...bucking and kicking the whole way!

teekay
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I just noticed it as well, too bad great thread and funny!

I smell something fishy!

inventor
09-14-2006, 09:26 PM
whats the deal, i had nothing bad to say about the segway

polo_pro
09-14-2006, 09:58 PM
whats the deal, i had nothing bad to say about the segway
I spoke of information on a verboten topic...unfortunately I tacked it onto your thread (since at the time it seemed like the appropriate place as we all danced around the topic). I'm not sure if this means that the CIA/FBI/Homeland Security is after me now. Pam, did you sick the dogs on me? 8^) 8^) 8^)

teekay
09-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Something's up! I think I know what it is, I will find out soon, but may not share it here on SC.

It's good news for everyone!

Trust me, :) Tim

polo_pro
09-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Something's up! I think I know what it is, I will find out soon, but may not share it here on SC.

It's good news for everyone!

Trust me, :) Tim

What? The new upgrade will make our segways hover? 8^) 8^) 8^) All those Sam's Club XTs are actually going to be sold to existing owner as part of a loyalty program?? 8^) 8^) 8^) Eeyore's going to come back with a LeanSteer halter??? 8^) 8^) 8^) The button now will act like a turbo after burner and take us up to 18 MPH??? 8^) 8^) 8^)

Come on...inquiring minds want to know!

ps - I have a very active imagination, eh?

Gihgehls
09-15-2006, 11:03 AM
I honestly think that taking down directions on reproducing the bug is probably one of the most illogical things I can think of.

First, nobody who is concerned for their safety is going to try it. However, people concerned with their safety will know what NOT to do. This knowledge is important and is a fundamental part of the what makes the internet great.

Second, the argument of fear of legal reprocussions is just that, fear. The person injured would surely be asked if they thought they might get hurt when trying it. Why don't we delete alllllll the other threads that have "OMG U COULD HURT" information in it. Hell, moderators, don't forget to delete the trampoline thread, the headstand thread, the sitting-on-segway thread, all the polo threads, long-distance glide threads, etc. All that stuff seems awful unsafe! What if I go try those things and run in to trouble?

Hint: I'm not going to sue segwaychat.

IMO the point of moderation (and I am no internet newbie) is to maintain a certain level of discourse; weeding out spammers, monitoring threads for off-topic qualities, and jailing people that are just plain annoying. Censoring speech is NOT the point of moderation, goes against what makes my country great and runs contrary to the free spread of information, ya know, the whole point of the internet tubes?

Not mentioning why a particular thread/post was deleted is even worse because you permenantly remove knowledge from the internet that could be useful to someone in the future. Most sensible moderation I have seen involves not deleting posts/threads, but rather editing the post to say "post deleted" so they can see it in context, or simply locking the thread so that it is read-only. The delete button just reminds me way too much of Orwell's "memory holes" in 1984.

sholloway
09-15-2006, 11:13 AM
PERSONALLY, i don't mind the delete. It seems it was for a safety issue. When I joined SegChat I figured I wasn't in charge. Just a schmoe posting what I want. If I grow tired of the deletes or members or rules then I will create ScottChat and then I will enforce whatever rules I want. Of course if the moderators were just trying to annoy everyone, randomly deleting and/or editing then I would choose to start ScottChat much sooner. Then again, this is the only chat site i participate in so I don't have a big internet chat site moderator philosophy background. Just a schmoe.

Gihgehls
09-15-2006, 11:17 AM
PERSONALLY, i don't mind the delete... ...Just a schmoe.

And isn't it awesome that you can express your opinion freely? I think it is!

sholloway
09-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Yes, and I wouldn't mind if I couldn't.

And before you ask... yes, i was glad I could post this one as well. And yes, I wouldn't mind if I couldn't.

BTW, I have the binary t shirt!!

Desert_Seg
09-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I too feel that lately there has been too much censoring. While I understand that there are certain reasons that posts need to be moderated, I do not understand why, on an unsponsored site, that the commentary regarding Segways are deleted / censored.

Let the words flow, let the "facts" fly, and let the chips land where they may. That is what makes chatrooms (even moderated ones) successful.

Pam, as the lead moderator, why did you delete i2 pre-launch posts? Factual or otherwise....

As a dealer I was pleased that information leaked. As an American I ask myself why they were censored.

Steven

pam
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
This is enough. I've indicated what the rules are for moderation on the chat, and if you all disagree that's fine, but contact me personally. Rerunning this particular thread doesn't accomplish anything. Just because you might want things run a different way doesn't mean that the site was set up to run that way.

Pam