PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

bystander
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
An odd occurance,

The segway.com site seems to have exceeded it's bandwidth limit a few minutes ago.

I was looking in the documents section, trying to figure out the threaing and diameter of the six screws on the gearbox accessory mounting points of the i-series.

I downloaded the 25.0 cargo bag .pdf file without any problems.

I went on to download the upper cargo bag .pdf and was given the following message:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Any other page I try to reach gives the same result, for about the last ten minutes now.

I guess this is a good thing, if the bandwidth was exceeded by new inquires. Hopefully it's not just a denial of service attack.

Desert_Seg
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I got the same error....and this isn't good to have exceeded bandwidth so early in the month and NOT know about it.

Edit - NOT DoS, I can ping the nameserver easily, as well as get into other pages on it.

Steven

bystander
08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
I got the same error....and this isn't good to have exceeded bandwidth so early in the month and NOT know about it.

StevenWell, that 120 mb marketing video must have skewed their predicted bandwidth usage a bit.

Desert_Seg
08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
you know what else sucks? If their hosting site is like others I know, they can't get e-mails either!

Steven

Desert_Seg
08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
From their domain management site:
--------------------
How long will the offer for free service last?

The first 5 domains you add to the system are free, as long as these domains do not exceed our bandwidth limits. If a domain is getting a lot of traffic (like a million hits/year) then that zone will stop being free. Reseller accounts are never free. Zones which use backup mailservice, or tertiary DNS are also not free. You can always cancel within 30 days after receiving a billing notice - with no obligation to pay.
We currently have no plans to change this offer.
For the complete details, read our pricing schedule (http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html#pricing), and, for our official policies, read our policies page. (http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/policy.html)
-------------------

And how much bandwidth do they get? From another FAQ:

-------------------
How much are your services? Are there any limits to what you provide?

The pricing structure is:

Free - first 5 domains added with under 200MB usage each
$10.95 - 1 zone credit
$49.95 - 10 zone credits
$99.95 - 25 zone credits
$349.95 - 100 zone credits

* You only get debited when you add a zone to the system. Unused credits never expire. Usage that counts towards your quota includes bytes transferred during DNS queries, delivery of parked home pages, delivery of URL forwarding information, and delivery of forwarded e-mails. If you do not use WebPark, WebForward and MailForward, then only DNS queries will count towards your total usage.

For example if a single domain goes over 200 MB of transfer during a year, then it counts as TWO domains, if it goes over 400MB, then it counts as three, etc. Usually DNS hits are cached, so even the busiest sites won't go over the 200 MB limit. 200 MB should get you about 1,000,000 DNS queries. A typical site uses 5 MB per year of DNS bandwidth.

There is no limit to the number of subdomains or records that your zone may contain.
If you go over your credit limits, we will send a billing notice. Free users can always cancel their account without obligation after receiving a billing notice.
-------------------

Gotta go sell another i2, need to help pay the internet bill :)

Steven

bystander
08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
you know what else sucks? If their hosting site is like others I know, they can't get e-mails either!

Steven
Do you have any alternate email contacts with anyone at Segway, Inc.? Send someone a heads up?

I guess I can PM jgrohol, and see if that helps. As the past webmaster, he may know who to get on the phone.

bystander
08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Seems to be up again now. Somebody must of noticed.

Desert_Seg
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I tried to call some of the mobile phones of the folks I know there but nobody is answering. But she is now back up so life is good again!

Steven

gbrandwood
08-23-2006, 05:55 AM
I think that situation is very embarrassing. A commercial site like segway.com should have a plan where bandwidth is never capped, you just pay for what you use - you'll never run out that way. Also, I downloaded the videos from a different site, not segway.com. I got them from the beta site from the company that designed the new. "Build" site. Segway may want to spread the load for these videos to ease the pressure in future.

pam
08-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Hmmm, and it may not be bandwidth. I'm guessing here only, but sometimes error messages don't exactly match what's going on. Or they may have been moving servers or something.
Pam

gbrandwood
08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
True - but if it was a planned move, then perhaps some warning might have been in order? I have looked after websites in the past, and still do in a lesser capacity, and if there was/is ever possibility of down-time due to planned maintenance, this would be reported to clients in advance. But, no big deal I guess. Just a little embarassing and easily avoided.