PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Leapord

ZoliHonig
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
All I can say is wow!

I can't wait for the release!

I see how they are trying to get mail to act a little more like outlook...

Sal
08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Time Machine is pretty nifty!
-Sal

ZoliHonig
08-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Time Machine is pretty nifty!
-Sal

yeah time machine looks like it would save me a lot of headaches!

One of my concerns with it would be security... like if you deleted a file because you really wanted to delete it, and anyone can pull it up, not just the cia... I hope there is some type of security that you can add to it

Sal
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
yeah time machine looks like it would save me a lot of headaches!

One of my concerns with it would be security... like if you deleted a file because you really wanted to delete it, and anyone can pull it up, not just the cia... I hope there is some type of security that you can add to it

Yes, you make a great point, I am sure that there are security features. Like a keystroke which would make deletions and other actions absolute, sort of like "Secure Empty Trash" in the file menu.

I know that when I search Spotlight for files, there are always several files that pop up which I know I have deleted, they show up with generic doc or app icons, etc. So maybe time machine will keep a record of files, but will offer to "expunge" the records if a user prefers.

-Sal

ZoliHonig
08-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I hope they have compression so it doesn't let you only go like 2 months in the past but much, much longer....

citivolus
08-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I have to admit that I'm less than impressed. A pretty face on back up software in nice but other than that there isn't really anything compelling that hasn't been in other *nix versions or groupware for a while.

I'd like to see spotlight have a simple duplicate file finder that the administrator could use across user accounts to limit duplication. It could be implimented with a common space for the actual file and simple links for easy user access. Editing the file would, of course, require some tricky manipulation with either revision control or fork creation depending on certain attributes.

TheRonster
09-07-2006, 05:55 AM
I have to admit that I'm less than impressed. A pretty face on back up software in nice but other than that there isn't really anything compelling that hasn't been in other *nix versions or groupware for a while.
That's always Apple's trick, isn't it? Putting a slick, well-thought-out interface on something that's not totally brand new? There were MP3 players before the first iPod, too!

I like a lot of things about Leopard. I'm also dying to find out which feature(s) Steve Jobs is holding back for now, to give the copy cats less time to catch up.

austin@SOH
09-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the whole WWDC was just awesome... We kicked back in the office and made a night out of it (since there was no more live broadcast) Between the Xserve, Mac Pro and Leopard, all I have got to say is wow... And as far as data security, when you delete a file, it is still there... Until it gets written over a couple months later... There just isn't a program that ships with the OS to make it soo easy to view...

Gihgehls
09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Not a Mac hater here, but I do think it is slightly hilarious that apple has pushed all these different versions of their OS as upgrades when all they really contain are a few new apps that would have been powertoys in an MS OS.

Sal
09-07-2006, 04:54 PM
That's always Apple's trick, isn't it? Putting a slick, well-thought-out interface on something that's not totally brand new? There were MP3 players before the first iPod, too!

Bingo! Leave it to Apple to make technology accessible and a pleasure to use. Who really cares if features weren't pioneered by Apple, maybe the more significant feat is to translate an existing invention into something my grandmother could use.

-Sal

citivolus
09-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Not a Mac hater here, but I do think it is slightly hilarious that apple has pushed all these different versions of their OS as upgrades when all they really contain are a few new apps that would have been powertoys in an MS OS.
To be perfectly fair, it is not claimed to be a new OS and is only a point release, 10.4.7(?) --> 10.5.0. Sure they use the codename Leopard but so what, MS had already used Chicago? Also the release hype it isn't any different from MS. XP is essentially a fresh face on NT with better hardware support and bug fixes. I'd argue that there have only been two real upgrades for both makers and the rest has been little more than bug fixes. Apple's break point is OS X and MS was WinNT even though they carried 9x at the same time.

In the end, Leopard may be about as much of an upgrade as Vista. Perhaps I'm just too hard to please or too much a skeptic. :p

Jet
09-10-2006, 01:38 AM
OSX has gone from 10.1 to 10.4 in the same time XP went to XP SP2.

There is a huge difference beween 10.1 and 10.4. With the ilife applications and the transition to Universal applications, Apple continues to provide the customer (me) with measurable and beneficial upgrades to its OS and they will do it again with 10.5. I use both Windows and OSX but I am more productive in OSX than Windows and OSX has proven to be more reliable.

Apple chooses to make "incremental" upgrades to it's OS and I would suggest this is a safer approach and easier to manage from a OS Company perspective given all the issues we have seen in the news regarding MS trying to push Vista out the door.

Apple's OS strategy is OpenBSD with a proprietary GUI - Quite simple - Apple does not face the issues of attempting to (re)develop its core kernel as MS has faced.

As a I.T operations manager - Would you like to guess what platform I have the most issues with in terms of OS stability? Hazard a guess what platform I needed to apply an emergency patch over a weekend because the vender said it was critical and mandatory?

Unix and its early variants have been with us now coming up to 40 years. OSX, Ubantu, RedHat, Solarus and every other Unix Linux variant just plain rock.

Sal
09-10-2006, 08:07 AM

There is a huge difference beween 10.1 and 10.4. With the ilife applications and the transition to Universal applications, Apple continues to provide the customer (me) with measurable and beneficial upgrades to its OS and they will do it again with 10.5. I use both Windows and OSX but I am more productive in OSX than Windows and OSX has proven to be more reliable.

Apple chooses to make "incremental" upgrades to it's OS and I would suggest this is a safer approach and easier to manage from a OS Company perspective given all the issues we have seen in the news regarding MS trying to push Vista out the door.

Apple's OS strategy is OpenBSD with a proprietary GUI - Quite simple - Apple does not face the issues of attempting to (re)develop its core kernel as MS has faced.

As a I.T operations manager - Would you like to guess what platform I have the most issues with in terms of OS stability? Hazard a guess what platform I needed to apply an emergency patch over a weekend because the vender said it was critical and mandatory?

Unix and its early variants have been with us now coming up to 40 years. OSX, Ubantu, RedHat, Solarus and every other Unix Linux variant just plain rock.

Jet, you make some very insightful points. I'm looking forward to the next upgrade, and I'm always an early adopter (for better or worse) with Apple stuff.

What's everyone's home computer set up?

-Sal

citivolus
09-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Then we agree, Vista should be about the same as 10.5. Or so MS hopes. ;)
I think this is a byproduct of having a more modular OS. It is easier to make small improvements without sacrificing stability. Not that I'm saying XP isn't modular, it's just that MS's push to integrate everything makes it harder to make isolated improvements.
I use both Windows and OSX but I am more productive in OSX than Windows and OSX has proven to be more reliable.
As do I, unfortunately many of the apps I need still aren't available on OS X. Although that is changing every day there are still a few design tools that just aren't there.

Jet
09-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Then we agree, Vista should be about the same as 10.5. Or so MS hopes. ;)

I think this is a byproduct of having a more modular OS. It is easier to make small improvements without sacrificing stability. Not that I'm saying XP isn't modular, it's just that MS's push to integrate everything makes it harder to make isolated improvements.

As do I, unfortunately many of the apps I need still aren't available on OS X. Although that is changing every day there are still a few design tools that just aren't there.

I agree its a moving target and feature for feature will never be the same at any point in time. I do have a windows machine because of the same reason as you - Very specific programs that dont run on a mac.

I biggest feature of OSX 10.5 that I hope Windows will also include will be the Quartz seperation of the screen resolution from applications.

Desert_Seg
09-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Anything based on BSD is a built on an extremely solid, and stable, platform. In fact, if you look at what runs on BSD (or a variant thereof) you realize how important it is. Most of the nation's Command and Control systems, most of the "Internet", most of our communications systems run on Unix.

Prior to August my hold up in moving to Mac (Apple OSX) was that Outlook files did not transfer and I really didn't want to run a dual boot / dual operating system. Unfortunately on my way to the US I suffered a catastrophic hard drive crash and lost everything (oh, the pain) post June 2005 (don't ask me about our incremental backups).

So, I've been out looking at Macs again and we are close to closing on a couple of new units.

As for Vista, I have been testing it and while it is a big improvement on XP, there are still flaws, especially when you realize that unlike Apple, whose core has always been Unix, every Windows upgrade (3.x, NT / 95, XP, and even Vista) is built around a new core and also has to be backwards compatible. This poses huge risks and support problem.

Apple OSX is more stable; Windows OS is more popular.

Steven

Gihgehls
09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Vista = Windows DRM. Honestly it seems as if the entire OS is just a platform to push more and more restrictive Digital Rights Managment (or is that Digital Profit Managment?) onto their customers.

I'm soooo tempted to install this copy of OSX for intel on my laptop.