PDA

View Full Version : War! What is it good for....

Desert_Seg
08-07-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm sure some of you have heard that tune before. After all, it was a popular song in the '70's that in one chorus line encapsulates the atrocities happening in Lebanon. Can anybody tell me what good is going to come out of this war? Does anybody even think any good will come? Unfortunately, it's evident that nothing has changed since 1970. No good will come from this war either.

Sadly, however, there are some ugly things coming out of this war, real ugly things. There is the lasting devastation of families on BOTH sides of the border, the random and indiscriminate killings on BOTH sides of the border, and the destruction of a country by BOTH sides.

By now I'm sure you've noticed my emphasis on the word BOTH. I use it to describe what the Hezbollah and the Israeli military are doing on each side of their opponent's border and, unfortunately, what BOTH parties are jointly doing to destroy Lebanon and devastate the Lebanese people. That's right, BOTH the Hezbollah and Israel are responsible for the devastation of Lebanon, BOTH are responsible for the death and destruction that is happening right now, and BOTH are responsible for the awful imagery that we now see each and every day.

Ok, now that I've got your attention, and I’m sure am getting cursed at by at least one or two readers, let me explain. You see, Newton’s Third Law of Motion applies here. That is, for every action there is an equal, but opposite, reaction. Simply put, none of this would be happening if the Hezbollah hadn't kidnapped the two Israeli soldiers, none of this destruction would have happened if they had returned the soldiers, none of this death and mayhem would have happened, none, if the Hezbollah hadn't breached the tenuous peace that had been in place for years.

I don't doubt that I'm not alone in my thoughts but I feel like I'm standing all by myself. Where are the calls for Hezbollah to stop their missile attacks? Where are the calls for the Hezbollah to stop the indiscriminate killing of civilians? Where are the calls for the Hezbollah to disarm, to turn the security of Lebanon over to the Lebanese government? More importantly, where are the calls for the Hezbollah to return those kidnapped soldiers?

You don’t hear them because almost everybody is turning a blind eye to the joint responsibility of these two warring parties. Why? Because the "popular" voice is to condemn Israel and say nothing about the Hezbollah. Well I for one won't stand by and be silent. I don't mind being the voice that condemns the actions of both sides. The voice that reminds everybody that it takes TWO to fight, that with one fell swoop Hezbollah could put an end to this destruction but won’t.

It’s sad to know that each day that the Hezbollah continues to hold these two soldiers hostage is another day that they are responsible for the destruction of Lebanon and the deaths of countless Lebanese. And yet they do nothing to remedy the situation. So, while bombs, missiles, mortar rounds and bullets may come from the Israeli war machine, the drive, the push, the force behind this battle comes at the hands of the Hezbollah.

As Edwin Starr so eloquently put it back in 1970:

War! It ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
War! It’s got one friend, that’s the undertaker
War has shattered many a young man’s dreams
Made him disabled bitter and mean
Life is much too precious to spend fighting wars these days
War can’t give life, it can only take it away

Therefore, I challenge each of you to stand up and tell the Hezbollah and Israel to stop playing games with other people’s lives. I challenge each of you to stand up and tell the Hezbollah and Israel to stop destroying a country. Let’s all stand up and shout out that our lives, our children’s lives, our neighbor’s lives, are much too precious to be toyed with.

But let’s make sure that when we do shout it out that we shout out the truth, that we shout out that BOTH parties need to stop, and that the easiest way to make this stop is to give back those two kidnapped soldiers. Sadly, I’m afraid this isn’t going to happen any time soon.

So I say it again…. War! What is it good for? Absolutely Nothing!

[This is an OpEd I was asked to write for a local publication. Originally published in the ME on 8/6/2006]

pam
08-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Your words could have exactly posted my feelings about Iraq, too. Quite right, Steven, war is the failure of policy, and does nothing for the people of either country. The only people who actually win is usually the industrial/military complex (of the winning side) (and sometimes not even of the winning side, just of the fighting sides). <sigh>
Pam

Desert_Seg
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I think Iraq is different in that it started with a noble cause and great intent and, unfortunately, has turned into a quagmire.

The current conflict on the border of Lebanon and Israel started with a militia stirring a hornet's nest and then looking surprised by the reaction.

Sigh.....what to do.

Steven

pam
08-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Ah, this is where we differ. I don't think that Iraq was started on a noble cause, with great intent.

But regardless, I agree, at this point, (at least since Vietnam) war, as we have known it, has been pretty useless.

Pam

citivolus
08-07-2006, 06:10 PM
...I agree, at this point, (at least since Vietnam) war, as we have known it, has been pretty useless.
I think you will find that most (all?) of the others were near useless as well. Korea had the best chance at being a noble cause until the attempt to unify the Koreas with a pro-western gov't was made and provoked the Chinese to enter the fray.

Forget either of the World Wars. The first was begun and finished by expansionist minded imperialists looking to win the spoils of war.

WWII was enjoined by France and Britain due to treaties with Poland. Poland wound up in Soviet hands, so not much utility there.

The war in the Pacific was over oil resources in the South China and Philippine seas.

Conspiracy theorists argue, with several valid points, that FDR provoked Japan into attacking Pearl in order to sway public opinion toward a pro-war position.
The one constant in any conflict has been the presence of conspiracy theories and the only difference with the present is the political parties are reversed.

Stewbonz
08-07-2006, 07:41 PM
War! What is it good for....

Uh, profits?

The companies making war products love it.

Buckaroo Banzai
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
"As Edwin Starr so eloquently put it back in 1970:

War! It ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
War! It’s got one friend, that’s the undertaker
War has shattered many a young man’s dreams
Made him disabled bitter and mean
Life is much too precious to spend fighting wars these days
War can’t give life, it can only take it away"

WOW! STEVEN! Have you been dipping into my stash? ;)
Feel the love!
I think I'll go do some cartwheels!
I now have hope for the future again.

You rock on this one!

Peace from Josh

Desert_Seg
08-23-2006, 11:22 PM

I got a few angry comments when it published but lots of positive response. I chose not to reply to anybody so that I wouldn't end up inundated by tons of e-mails.

Steven

Buckaroo Banzai
08-24-2006, 12:08 AM
"I will support his decision to the hilt, even if it is a decision with which I may personally disagree."

Who's that guy?

Please set me straight as you always try to do. ;)

"Blind support for whoever winds up in power guy" or "the vocal anti-war hero guy" in your post above?

I want to hang with choice #2.

Honestly, until I read this thread I wasn't going to attend Segfest.
Now, I may reconsider.

Nice work Steven. :)

Peace...please.

teekay
08-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Who knows the name of the band that recorded the song "War?"

teekay
08-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Steven, are you from the USA living in the UEA?

Desert_Seg
08-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Steven, are you from the USA living in the UEA?

Yep.

As to your other question, it was Edwin Starr who recorded the original version of War!.

Steven