PDA

View Full Version : Loss of the POWER ASSIST Feature on the New I-2 Model??

Wallace
08-04-2006, 10:34 AM
The Function of the Standby Mode as opposed to "Power Assist"?
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/tripodROVER/IMG_1858.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/tripodROVER/IMG_1215.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/tripodROVER/IMG_1203.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/tripodROVER/MVI_1853.jpg

Curbs, Stairs, Ramps into the back of a pickup truck - No More Power Assist????
Since there is no mention of the Old POWER ASSIST function (Or stairs, steps, curbs or ramps for that matter) in the NEW I2 Manual, How do I get it into the back of my pickup truck or station wagon using my ramps?

If I place the I2 at the foot of the ramps and push the CS FWD, it stands erect, moves away from me and will not "lie down". If I stand in front or to one side and tilt the CS toward the vehicle, it will climb the ramp and quickly get too tall for me to control.

If I can collapse the CS to clear the tailgate on my wagon in order to get the I2 inside, I can push FWD on the CS moving up the ramps toward the front of the car. This will work only until my arms can’t reach out any farther and I lose control.

I understand that I can lead the I2 up (or down) a curb by dismounting, and use the same technique shown in the OLD Safety Video – “stay above the SEGWAY and guide it up or down the step(s) under control.” I can see that the I2 in balance mode can be "lead" to ascend or descend a tall curb (7"-8" or so) but, how do you negotiate multiple steps or stairs since there is no Power Assist as we know/knew it?

Even if I collapse the I2 Control Shaft and position it at the foot of my ramps – which ever way I tilt the CS (toward the car or back to me) -the I2 is going to think I am in Turtle Mode and will respond as fast as it can to the extreme tilting of the platform causing it to run away from or back over me. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/tripodROVER/MVI_1856.jpg

I suppose I can TURN IT OFF and "dead stick/PUSH the thing up the ramps" using Brute Force and Main Strength. OR buy a bumper mounted lift and leave the thing out in the rain and snow!

Am I missing something here?

macgeek
08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I am SURE that Segway has a power assist mode, DO NOT PANIC
you only know half the information..

Wait untill OFFICAL info is out before taking anything as gospel!

Jonathan

pam
08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have something along those lines, since it's so important for us to be able to get the units up stairs and into cars. It may just be called something else, or activated in a different way.

Pam

Sunday
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Wouldn't it be nifty to control the new i and x models with the wireless controller, like the ibot users control their machine with the detachable remote? Imagine the possibilities!

Mark

macgeek
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
That if you hold down the turtle button the unit rolls forward
or something like that...

Jonathan

RAG1247
08-04-2006, 02:10 PM
That if you hold down the turtle button the unit rolls forward
or something like that...

Jonathan

what's a turtle button???????????????????

Tarkus
08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Personally, I think INC is doing it's best to separate themselves from use by the disabled.

The new model won't allow a Segseat and the footing may also be a problem.

Paranoid, maybe.

Alan

vertigo1
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Indeed. Dean Kamen created the iBot for people with disabilities. The Segway HT was a by-product of the technology that made the iBot so amazing and was created essentially for people w/o disabilities. It is wonderful that the early models were adopted by the handicapped community but that was not the original intention of the device. I think this will give the Segway (beit HT or PT) a chance to shine for it’s intended purpose and the iBot to shine for it's. More than likely other companies (or even Johnson & Johnson) will make other devices for the disabled utilizing the Dynamic Stabilization of the Segway and iBot. Not really a bad thing, just a chance for progression.
-Bing

terryp
08-04-2006, 09:41 PM
So will you tilt the handlebar in the direction you wish to turn, or push against it as you lean in the direction you're turning? I understand why it was necessary to move the steering mechanism to the base to eliminate the cables, but I'm not sure it will be an improvement from the user's standpoint. it doesn't sound as intuitive to me. And, what if you bump into something with the handlebar, or someone bumps your arm, accidentally or purposely, as you go by? Seems to me you could suddenly find yourself turning into a wall or going off a curb, and there wouldn't be much you could do about it.

I'll have to try it, but I'm guessing I'll prefer the current grip steering. Getting rid of the wires will be nice though. Presumably, whatever caused the need to reboot by replugging them has been solved (although I've never had that problem).

I'm sure the i2 will be very cool. But I won't be thinking of replacing what I've got just to have the newest model. It's close enough to perfection for me.

Tarkus
08-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Indeed. Dean Kamen created the iBot for people with disabilities. The Segway HT was a by-product of the technology that made the iBot so amazing and was created essentially for people w/o disabilities. It is wonderful that the early models were adopted by the handicapped community but that was not the original intention of the device. I think this will give the Segway (beit HT or PT) a chance to shine for it’s intended purpose and the iBot to shine for it's. More than likely other companies (or even Johnson & Johnson) will make other devices for the disabled utilizing the Dynamic Stabilization of the Segway and iBot. Not really a bad thing, just a chance for progression.
-Bing

No question. From a business standpoint if they, J&J, really want to sell Ibots they should read the thoughts of some users. Then work on the insurance issues.

If they, INC, want to sell Segways to the general public they would need to first prove the need then lower the price substationally.

When the first, well second question someone asks about the Segway is "How fast will it go " then "How much does it cost", Honda, hell Vespa wins out every time.

Given the choice people, for the most part, won't drop 5 large on a Segway that may or may not survive the "legal" bans starting to take place in some big cities, the place where the HT shines it's brightest for the general public.

Me, I don't worry as i have few "issues" with the HT and access in my day to day life.

That's where I have the advantage over the able bodied !!

Alan.

fredkap
08-05-2006, 10:45 AM
There will be plenty of time to talk about new machines after they are publicly announced.

Wallace, some people have kept their Segs in balance mode and have them go up their ramps backwards. Once their machine is on the floor of their car/truck they take the machine out of balance mode and stow it in that fashion. Would that work for you?

-Fred

macgeek
08-05-2006, 10:54 AM
We were chatting about power assist and he told me 14.x software now lets you pull a segway up a flight of stairs in balence mode, So when I got home I tried it! and it works!! -- maybe there has been a hidden feature and we didnt even know about it!

Jonathan

polo_pro
08-05-2006, 12:41 PM
We were chatting about power assist and he told me 14.x software now lets you pull a segway up a flight of stairs in balence mode, So when I got home I tried it! and it works!! -- maybe there has been a hidden feature and we didnt even know about it!
I've been doing this for years...ok, maybe not years since I got it upgraded back in Oct. But you know what I mean. With 12.0 what prevented a person from pulling the segway up the stairs in balance mode? I get a little spin of the tires with 14.1, and I also find it stays "stuck" and doesn't roll back down easily. Was it different with 12.0?

bystander
08-05-2006, 01:34 PM

JonathanIn my ignorance, I was doing this (riderless balance mode up/down stairs) with v12.0 for the seven months before I was able to upgrade to 14.1.

Stick shake warning happens less with v14.1 vs 12.0, but 12.0 didn't prevent riderless balance mode operations on stairs, at least in my experience. I get the impression that the stick shake threshold parameters was the thing that got adjusted.

I became proficient (moving slowly enough on stairs) on 12.0 that I seldom triggered the stick shake. When I got v14.1, I didn't notice much difference (with stick shake sensitivity) right away, due to my 12.0-conditioned habits.

And I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment that has no elevator, so I have quite a bit of experience with at least one specific flight of stairs!

I think the ability to do riderless balance mode on stairs was initially included back on the revision that lowered the power assist speed to what it is today. The adjustment to the stick shake trigger point was tweaked on v14.x

Stan671
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
With respect to riderless balance mode and stairs and software versions: I don't remember exaclty when they changed the characteristics on this, but they made it easier to use the riderless balance mode.

Before the tweak, when the Segway was rolled more than 3 feet or so in RBM, the stick shake would happen and it would drop into Power Assist mode. This threshold was solely based on distance travelled.

After the tweak, two things were different. First, you can travel 100 miles on RBM without ever getting a stick shake if you go slow enough. And secondly, if you stop moving when you get the stick shake, it will not drop into Power Assist mode. Both of these changes make it much easier to use RBM to do stuff like climb curbs and stairs.

I remember when I had the older software and when I RBM'ed up a curb and rolled too far, it would stick shake and go into PA mode and then would have to level it and hit the button to get back into balance mode. And I always needed to be in PA mode for stairs because it would keep shaking and poping out of balance mode while going up the stairs.

Also, if you have ever stood on the gearboxes in order to ride around in RBM, with the older software, after 3 feet, it would dump you on the floor. With the new software, it won't as long as you go slow and heed the shake as a warning and stop moving.

I really like the new characteristics of RBM now and find this a MUCH easier way to go UP and DOWN stairs than PA mode.

joe
08-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I am SURE that Segway has a power assist mode, DO NOT PANIC you only know half the information..

Agreed.

Why the PA mode shouldn't work as before - press a button and use the left/right steering method to move it forward/backwards? This would be no less "intuitive" as with the current models (where I almost every time start to power assist in the wrong direction :rolleyes: ). If there will be a servo motor in the CSB instead of a spring (as presumed by bystander in a different thread) the required force could be significant lower than in balance mode...

Or the PA mode simply detects in which direction you push or pull the machine and then supports the movement with the motors?

--
Johannes

Wallace
08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Now after a couple of weeks since the LEAK of the Manual I have a confirmation from two SEG DEALERS and others who have actually ridden an I-2. There is no comparable "Power Assist Feature" on the GEN 2 Segs which will permit a "Tilted Down Segway" to go up or down a ramp - while powered ON - to drive into a low clearance opening.

If you can let it remain Standing Up and use the Go Forward Slowly - Lead IT up the ramp technique (as in the side doors of a mini-van) it will work.

If, however, you want to load IT (I-2, "too") into a pick-up truck bed, having it stand up and climb up to the height of the tailgate or bed level it will quickly get "too Tall to Control" and if there is any "tipping forward or backwards" of the CS IT will run away from or back over you.

Trying to load IT into a pick up with a cargo shell or into a station wagon (or even a new Dodge/Chrysler minivan rear compartment with an overhead door will not work either.

If you go back to the first entry in this thread you can see photos of what I can do NOW and will not be able to do should I "upgrade" to a new I-2.

Tarkus
08-18-2006, 02:21 PM
and it's no accident. INC would like to move even farther away from the "unsought market" as they can.

I still don't see how the new Seg, I've been on it, will increase sales.

Yes, some "hard core seggers" will run out and buy, but the general public will still see the same machine and ask, "what will I do with it?"

At 5K not much will change as far as sales to the general public.

Alan

RC Mike
08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
If you go back to the first entry in this thread you can see photos of what I can do NOW and will not be able to do should I "upgrade" to a new I-2.
Simple solution Wallace. Get the quick adjuster for the LSF. Remove the top half of the LSF. Back the i2 up to your ramp. walk alongside it and push lightly as it climbs the ramp. When it gets to the top and is in the car, push the info key to turn it off.

Try this with your current unit, and I think that you will find it is not as big a problem as you seem to think it is. Put the machine in balance mode. Lower your CS as much as you can. Back it up to the ramp, and slowly(so you do not get stick shake) push it up the ramp. Grab it somewhere below the height adjustment collar and it should not get away from you.

Alan, I really do not think they are actively against you. They cannot call the machine a medical device, nor market it as one, and if someone calls and asks, they will say it was not designed as one, as they are contractually required to do, but that is not evidence of dislike of the fact that their machine changes lives. Just because they cannot legally market to you, does not mean they do not like improving your life.

Mike

Tarkus
08-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Alan, I really do not think they are actively against you. They cannot call the machine a medical device, nor market it as one, and if someone calls and asks, they will say it was not designed as one, as they are contractually required to do, but that is not evidence of dislike of the fact that their machine changes lives. Just because they cannot legally market to you, does not mean they do not like improving your life.

Mike

Mike,

I never said they were against anyone and I am more than well aware of the Ibot/ J & J agreement.

That being said, this is the "special needs" section and I would be remiss not to point out the fact that INC wants and needs to distance themselves for a number of business reasons.

One being the J&J deal, another being that it's not good for sales when the only segs you see have a "gimp sticker" on them. Not counting Tour Co.

I've been to 2 Super Bowls on my HT and VERY FEW had ever seen one before. Thats a large audience and the only other Segger I saw was...... thats right a "gimp".

All I'm trying to say is that the new unit will not work well for many of the people who use this section of the forum.

And that is what this section is for .

Now, they, some dealers had no problem "soft pitching" the HT for a mobility device and INC had no control or chose not to come down on these dealers. I've seen the web pages.

So in the "Special Needs Section" my feelings are as stated.

They are not out to get us but they didn't chase us away when the "unsought market", even the fact that they would give it a mane should give an idea of how many were being sold as such, were buying plenty of units.

Wow, tat a run on sentence but I don't have the time to fix it, sorry !!!

Regards,
Alan

RC Mike
08-18-2006, 04:20 PM
another being that it's not good for sales when the only segs you see have a "gimp sticker" on them. Not counting Tour Co.

I've been to 2 Super Bowls on my HT and VERY FEW had ever seen one before. Thats a large audience and the only other Segger I saw was...... thats right a "gimp".
We took 4 to a NASCAR race(twice the attendance of a superbowl) and very few had ever seen one either, most of the comments were "I need one of those" or "Can I get a ride?" If she was cute, the answer was yes. Of course we had to leave them in the van when we went inside, as we don't have the gimp sticker.

All I'm trying to say is that the new unit will not work well for many of the people who use this section of the forum.

And that is what this section is for .

Now, they, some dealers had no problem "soft pitching" the HT for a mobility device and INC had no control or chose not to come down on these dealers. I've seen the web pages.

So in the "Special Needs Section" my feelings are as stated.

They are not out to get us but they didn't chase us away when the "unsought market", even the fact that they would give it a name[sic] should give an idea of how many were being sold as such, were buying plenty of units.

Wow, tat a run on sentence but I don't have the time to fix it, sorry !!!

Regards,
Alan
I can only hope that there will be quite a used market that will make the old units easier to acquire for those who really need them. The real point of my original post was really to inform wallace that things are not necessarly as bleak as he thinks. Sorry if that got lost.

Mike

Tarkus
08-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Mike,

I think we agree on more than we disagree.

That being said comparing NASCAR motor heads, and I've been one for 25 years, to the general population during Super Bowl week is apples and oranges. Race fans are far more in tune with new things with motors.

The attendance Super Bowl week far out ways the "Race Day" numbers and these are the people that don't see Segways. They are also the ones that INC needs to target.

Thats why Speedweek & Bikeweek are fun for me, those people get the Segway.

One on the biggest overstites of INC is they never gave any thought to how to move it around until after the fact.

Why does a "ubermachine" as I have heard it called have no way to pick it up ?

I notice you skirted the dealer/mobility soft sell issue that was quite real and still is with some.

Please save me the how and whys, trust me I understand those points.

Look , all I'm saying here is that the new Segway cuts down on those who can use them as mobility aids.

If you want to believe that Segs are all over the place and people have seen them "in the wild" then so be it. Thats simply not the case.

LACK OF POWER ASSIST AND OTHER FACTORS MAKE THE NEW UNIT LESS USEABLE FOR THE DISABLED.

Special needs is what this section is for and the above is fact.

Alan

gbrandwood
08-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Look , all I'm saying here is that the new Segway cuts down on those who can use them as mobility aids.

LACK OF POWER ASSIST AND OTHER FACTORS MAKE THE NEW UNIT LESS USEABLE FOR THE DISABLED.Hi Alan

I cannot refute your point. You are quite right. But as the machine was never intended to be a disabled device, I can only imagine Segway are happy to discount any customers they may have gained who benefit from the traditional approach. But they were incidental - not the target audience. It's not right to beat them up over failing to cater for a market they never intended to cater for anyway.

I guess for people with certain disabilities, the old stlye will reign supreme. For everyone else (well, not everyone I guess), the new models are the way forward and future generations will be built on similar technologies.

Tarkus
08-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi Alan

I cannot refute your point. You are quite right. But as the machine was never intended to be a disabled device, I can only imagine Segway are happy to discount any customers they may have gained who benefit from the traditional approach. But they were incidental - not the target audience. It's not right to beat them up over failing to cater for a market they never intended to cater for anyway.

I guess for people with certain disabilities, the old stlye will reign supreme. For everyone else (well, not everyone I guess), the new models are the way forward and future generations will be built on similar technologies.

Guys, there is no beating up of segway.

As I said I understand what the Seg was designed for.
I also know how it was pitched by some dealers.

I also stated that from a business standpoint this move makes sense, both for INC and J&J.

Neither sold enough units.

My only point is that this is the "Special Needs" section and those that want to come here and tell a large part of the Segway community information they already know.

Know what, your right and based on that this section should cease to exist.

All the best ,
Alan

gbrandwood
08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I was simply stating what I thought about the move. I felt I had to. I felt there was an undertone of criticism and I didn't think it was justified. No big deal. Who am I? Just a user with a view, expressing it in an on-line forum. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I didn't even realise I was in this particular forum. I use the "New Posts" feature and just go down the list - not that it matters.

And for what it's worth, I don't think this section should cease to exist. If the people who post in it most often feel it serves a valid purpose, then why get rid?

Oh, and the instruction manual tells you how to correctly lift the ubermachine.

Tarkus
08-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I was simply stating what I thought about the move. I felt I had to. I felt there was an undertone of criticism and I didn't think it was justified. No big deal. Who am I? Just a user with a view, expressing it in an on-line forum. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I didn't even realise I was in this particular forum. I use the "New Posts" feature and just go down the list - not that it matters.

And for what it's worth, I don't think this section should cease to exist. If the people who post in it most often feel it serves a valid purpose, then why get rid?

Oh, and the instruction manual tells you how to correctly lift the ubermachine.

Again we agree on most so this will it for me.

As far as lifting even an abled bodied person needs 2 strong people. I was think more in terms of lifting rings etc. The hauler is a tail end waiting to happen.

My point is that there is little need for the repeated "purpose" of the Seg.
Most of us who chose to go this route knew the deal up front. A few were deceived.

That's why I try to direct people to DRAFT where they can get more specific answers to these questions with the repeating of the obvious.

Grandwood, I'm sorry if I made it seem like it was something wrong about you or INC.

All the best,
Alan

gbrandwood
08-19-2006, 11:47 AM
No problem, Alan. I wish you all the best. Cheers, G.

Wallace
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I am the guy with the RED VOLVO - folding ramps and a 167 using Power Assist to load/unload my SEG three to four times a day. The loss of the Power Assist on the new model is a real bummer. I have been told to simply remove the LS Frame at the base and use the riderless balance function to "nudge" the remaining platform base up or down the ramps without the handlebar attached.

You may have seen my Post on Loss of the Power Assist on SC about the time the Manual was leaked. There are photos clearly showing how I currently transport my SEG inside a station wagon with the traditional rear hatch door. The key is the ability to move the SEG up the ramps with the CS parallel to the ground - under power!

The I2 cannot travel upright as in Hip Hop's demo video - riding up toward the glass - all the way into the wagon or minivan/SUV because it will quickly hit the overhead door (31" vertical clearance) and be caused to back down the ramp.

If you try to load the I2 in the back of a pickup truck the base platform will quickly travel up the ramps above waist level and be difficult to keep in reach for safe control.

I have no idea how much a replacement lower Lean Steer Frame set will cost.

Perhaps the "best" solution is for me to find a point above the attachment Knuckle at the bottom and the lowest point of insertion of the handlebar "rods into the "shotgun like tubes" and hacksaw the lower tubes off and "invent a sleeve/clamp/or holding fixture which can rejoin the two lower tubes and provide quick on/of seperation of the upper and lower "trombone tubes."

RC Mike
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM
I am the guy with the RED VOLVO - folding ramps and a 167 using Power Assist to load/unload my SEG three to four times a day. The loss of the Power Assist on the new model is a real bummer. I have been told to simply remove the LS Frame at the base and use the riderless balance function to "nudge" the remaining platform base up or down the ramps without the handlebar attached.

You may have seen my Post on Loss of the Power Assist on SC about the time the Manual was leaked. There are photos clearly showing how I transport my SEG inside a station wagon with the traditional reral hatch door.

The I2 cannot travel upright as in your demo video - riding up toward the glass - all the way into the wagon or minivan/SUV because it will quickly hit the overhead door (31" vertical clearance) and be induced in backing down the ramp.
Wallace, I still think my original post about this would be valid if you took the time to read it. When the toolless height adjuster is released, it will make this simple.

The concept: as there are no longer any wires/electronics/etc. in the handlebar, it is simple to remove it. Currently it requires 1 3mm bolt to be removed. Shortly it will require no tools, just twist the button. once the bolt is out, simply slide the top half of the LSF out. Now it is considerably shorter. Now, this part is important. You back the machine up the ramp. That puts the top of the bottom half of the LSF way farther back, increasing clearance. once it reaches the top, you turn it off with the info key.

I think you would be able to manuver the machine up ramps with the top half removed.

Mike

Wallace
08-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks RC.

I understand there are no wires in the Frame.

The thought of powering the I2 partway up the ramp and then turning it off before the remaining FRAME "mast" contacts something which will make it want to back down will have to be experienced firsthand.

I know that a factory designed rear SEG Hauler or a SEGVATOR power lift, or the TARKUS Power Boom Lift are available and expensive solutions but I prefer to keep things more simple.

My nearest dealer - 300 miles away - measured from the ground to the top of the lower portion of the LS Frame - with the upper, sliding handlebar tubes removed. I believe he said he measured 38".

Even that may be too "tall" to permit the I2 to be pivoted 90 degrees as I now do with ROVER in order to stow it crossways in the rear. That way I do not have to fold down the passenger seat(s) to transport it "lengthways."

I will just have to make a 600 mile round trip to see if your suggestion will work for me.

Murray Fisher
08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I will have the same problem IF that is the way the new i2 works. However I also have a powered lift (adapted from a trailer hitch lift) which goes in the trailer hitch receptacle. The carrier I made with the ramps, works great in the balance mode. I have found the self powered assist to be too dangerous. It needs a lotof powr to lift it out of the carrier an then wants to run me down if I do not back off on it quickly. I find I have perfectr control, though, in the balance mode, but it sounds like this iwll not work with the new i2.
Also I carry a loto f stuff from time to time, inclluding a lawn chair on the right side, which rests in a carrier and I strap it to the right handlebar, as it does not move. I dunno what I will do for this, as I need the mobility to watch grandkids ball games and go to parades etc. I would hate to rig up a trailer!
I ride it a lot, no hands, in safe places..where no one is near and smooth sidewalks etc. It sounds like this will not work with the i2. I have carried 6 2x4's on the two carriers over each fender, in Home Depot and on out to the car and have carried a six foot ladder and a car battery a few times. I wonder if I can do this with rthe new i2. I have a "socket" to plug in my umbrella when a sudden rain comes up. I doubt if that would work with the new i2. So many things to think of with this new technology although it sure SOUNDS good from the preliminary reports.
Murray Fisher

ronzul
09-10-2006, 08:37 AM
-Bing
Hi there Bing

The impression I get from your comment is that there are two categories of people, those with disabilities and those without. I'm not sure if that is what you mean, but that is how I read it.

I would like to point out that there is a whole spectrum between these two extremes... things are not so black and white. Some people might get tired after walking 1 mile. Some people might get very sore after walking half a mile. Perhaps one could call these conditions disabilities, perhaps limitations is a better word. Obviously there are many more examples, but the point is that there are different people with a whole range of physical capabilities.

In my way of thinking, the ideal aid for someone gives them as much help as they need, and no more. So if someone is able to stand up for long periods of time, but has difficulty walking, then giving them an electric wheelchair or an iBOT, is overkill, and in fact detrimental to their overall well-being. This is more or less my situation... I can stand for long periods of time, but get sore from walking short distances. And that is why the Segway has been perfect... it gives me as much help as I need, and no more.

As another example, there are manual wheelchairs, there are electric wheelchairs and there are 3 and 4 wheel scooters with manual steering. No one would ever consider using an electric wheelchair if for example they had sufficient strength in their arms to use a manual one.

The fact that Segway has always stated that the machine is not a medical device, means to me that I am totally responsible for the decision about whether or not the machine is suitable for me. If some incident occurs, I can never say that Segway LLC somehow led me to believe that the machine would be appropriate for my medical condition. It also means that although I am upset and annoyed that Gen2 is far less suitable and practical for me (perhaps even unusable), I must understand that Segway LLC never intended to help me. The fact that the p series has been perfect, was just good fortune.

Cheers
Ronny

tkwatson
09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Well said, Ronny.
I have MS, have been walking about 7 blocks (uphill) to a hospital shuttle that takes me to the train station that is about 15 blocks away.
The walk to the hospital is getting increasingly burdensome.
I've learned that I can stand pretty comfortably (at a craps table, for example) for a couple of hourse.
Seg is just what I needed and I can make the 15 blocks to the train quicker than the 7 blocks walking to the shuttle (not to mention the kewl factor).
So, I am obviously one of those middle-grounders and I'm happy to have this option.
T

Tarkus
09-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Here is the thing with the quote by Vertigo.

NOWHERE on INC. website does it say, no a disabled person can't ride a Segway.

They will say it's not FDA approved, of course that means nothing except insurance may cover one.

I've filled out the form and asked the questions and INC is just covering their butt.

http://www.draft.cc/draft3/DRAFTCHAT/tabid/61/forumid/2/postid/687/view/topic/Default.aspx

Never does it say "NO" and a lot out there don't like the fact that we use them as it may take some of the "Cool' out of the Seg.

Regards,
Alan