PDA

View Full Version : SEGamerica - What do YOU Think?

macgeek
07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
As you know, I am running for the position of Vice president of SEGamerica, and want to find out what you think of the job SA has done, I want you also to Gripe (If you HAVE any gripes) so I know what issues are important to you, the segway community

Also included is a anonymous survey, if you don't want to post.

if you would like to reply privately to me, email jon@macgeek.com

[DISCLAIMER] This is for my PERSONAL INFORMATION, this is not a official request from SEGamerica, and SEGamerica does not endorse it in any way!

Pam Please leave this here for all members to see, not only SA members..

Thanks

Jonathan

GyroGo
07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
I voted Yes, even though I don't have much real knowledge, because I know there is always a lot of work in the early stages of an organization, and assume they are doing the best they can as volunteers.

HOWEVER -

The following is really not a slam on SegAmerica, but of all similar organizations in general, and SegAmerica seemingly included:

My problem with MOST organizations, especially NEW ONES is that an obscene amount of the time and energy is devoted to things that don't really benefit the "constituency", namely organizational issues: elections, coordinating meetings, communication between board members, minutes, constitution/by-laws/internal policies and procedures, collecting dues and fund-raising, accounting…

Hopefully, all these mechanics eventually filter into fulfilling the organization’s purpose, but I have personal experience (NOT SegAmerica specifically) in “sort of similar types” of organizations (don’t interrogate me on defining this, it’s just my judgment) that there is more than 50% time and energy spent on administrative overhead vs. fulfilling purpose. In a new organization maybe over 75-80% PLUS.

This is NOT a criticism or complaint against SegAmerica, but just a “watch out for”.

Is it United Way that ranks charitable organizations by the percentage of money that is spent on administration vs. actual benefit? Perhaps there should be a percentage ranking of organizations like this on time and energy (as well as money) spent for organization overhead vs. activities of direct value to the constituency? Of course that is not feasible, but a rhetorical question.

bystander
07-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Pam Please leave this here for all members to see, not only SA members..

Thanks

JonathanI think the SA forum here on Segwaychat is visible to all SC members, isn't it?

No need to make an posting protocol exception here, is there?

Now if you had posted this in the SA forum, then posted a note about your post here on the HT forum, that would seem reasonable to me.

Why break the rules, then apologize?

Why not do it right the first time?

I agree everyone should see this, but I don't agree with disregarding the posting directives at the drop of a hat.

Good luck on collecting the feedback you are seeking. If this thread ever makes it into the proper forum, I may consider replying directly to your question.

Desert_Seg
07-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Jonathan,

Just a grammatical post. In items 4 and 5 of your poll your use of there is incorrect, it should be they're as you mean to say they are ineffective, almost as common a mistake as your instead of you're.

My grandmother woulb so proud. She used to correct the letters I wrote to her and send them back to me, much to my anger and chagrin!

I know nominate myself for grammar teacher emeritus of the SA board.

Steven

macgeek
07-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I think the SA forum here on Segwaychat is visible to all SC members, isn't it?

No need to make an posting protocol exception here, is there?

Now if you had posted this in the SA forum, then posted a note about your post here on the HT forum, that would seem reasonable to me.

Why break the rules, then apologize?

Why not do it right the first time?

I agree everyone should see this, but I don't agree with disregarding the posting directives at the drop of a hat.

Good luck on collecting the feedback you are seeking. If this thread ever makes it into the proper forum, I may consider replying directly to your question.

The reason I wanted it in general (maybe off topic would have been better) is that in the SA forum ONLY SA members can see it, and I wanted the WHOLE segway communities input on this. I have been a member here for 2+ years I know where to post things. This was done with a intent!

Jonathan

macgeek
07-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Jonathan,

Just a grammatical post. In items 4 and 5 of your poll your use of there is incorrect, it should be they're as you mean to say they are ineffective, almost as common a mistake as your instead of you're.

My grandmother woulb so proud. She used to correct the letters I wrote to her and send them back to me, much to my anger and chagrin!

I know nominate myself for grammar teacher emeritus of the SA board.

Steven

Steve, sadly I can't spell worth SH*T - my gramma is as bad as my diction!

Jonathan

pam
07-21-2006, 06:59 AM
I will happily move this to off-topic, but as you all have figured, this has nothing to do with HT's. The HT forum is not a catch-all forum.
Pam

macgeek
07-21-2006, 09:35 AM
My Bad!

Jonathan

P:S: Sorry too bystander

bystander
07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
The reason I wanted it in general (maybe off topic would have been better) is that in the SA forum ONLY SA members can see it, and I wanted the WHOLE segway communities input on this. I have been a member here for 2+ years I know where to post things. This was done with a intent!

JonathanIt is understandable that you want to collect feedback from as wide an audience as possible, I don't fault your intentions, just a bit concerned about your methods.

And what's this about only SA members being able to see posts on the SA forum at Segwaychat? How sure are you that this is true? On the old bulletin board software, that may have been true. Since the board was upgraded back in early April, I've been able to see the posts on the SA forum. I thought it might have been an oversight, but I've now got the impression it was meant to be that way.

Please consider making your own inquiry into this situation. Assuming that the SA board is private to SA members may have undesired side-effects.

Stan671
07-27-2006, 04:29 PM
There used to be a thing long ago with the previous forum software where the SC and SA databases would share status info and therefore this forum could limit access only to SA members.

There is no such mechanism in place now.

KSagal
07-27-2006, 11:20 PM
I voted Yes, even though I don't have much real knowledge, because I know there is always a lot of work in the early stages of an organization, and assume they are doing the best they can as volunteers.

HOWEVER -

The following is really not a slam on SegAmerica, but of all similar organizations in general, and SegAmerica seemingly included:

My problem with MOST organizations, especially NEW ONES is that an obscene amount of the time and energy is devoted to things that don't really benefit the "constituency", namely organizational issues: elections, coordinating meetings, communication between board members, minutes, constitution/by-laws/internal policies and procedures, collecting dues and fund-raising, accounting…

Hopefully, all these mechanics eventually filter into fulfilling the organization’s purpose, but I have personal experience (NOT SegAmerica specifically) in “sort of similar types” of organizations (don’t interrogate me on defining this, it’s just my judgment) that there is more than 50% time and energy spent on administrative overhead vs. fulfilling purpose. In a new organization maybe over 75-80% PLUS.

This is NOT a criticism or complaint against SegAmerica, but just a “watch out for”.

Is it United Way that ranks charitable organizations by the percentage of money that is spent on administration vs. actual benefit? Perhaps there should be a percentage ranking of organizations like this on time and energy (as well as money) spent for organization overhead vs. activities of direct value to the constituency? Of course that is not feasible, but a rhetorical question.

Your points are well taken, but there is some confusion here. SEG America is not a charity. We do not take money from people and promise to help people like a charity does.

We are a club. We provide services for our members, but before we could do some of that, we had some housekeeping to put in place. Much of that is now in order, and the incomming executive board is excited about some of the services we can offer to the membership.

So, in my opinion, your points are well considered, but not applicable.

GyroGo
07-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Your points are well taken, but there is some confusion here. SEG America is not a charity. We do not take money from people and promise to help people like a charity does.

We are a club. We provide services for our members, but before we could do some of that, we had some housekeeping to put in place. Much of that is now in order, and the incomming executive board is excited about some of the services we can offer to the membership.

So, in my opinion, your points are well considered, but not applicable.
I understand. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, but I was just making an analogy (and it is all rhetorical, not an actual expectation of SegAmerica) between:

A) Having a ratio in an organization such as SegAmerica to compare time spent on administative and organizational functions (bureaucracy stuff) vs. time spent of direct benefit to membership.

analogous to

B) The sort of ratio used to measure charities on dollars spent on bureaucracy vs. spent for it's purpose.

I may have been wrong on it being United Way that does it though, I just did some searching and found that while United Way has something called "Output Measurements", I found the American Institute of Philanthropy has the type of financial measurement I was thinking of ( Percent Spent on Charitable Purpose http://www.charitywatch.org/criteria.html).

I wouldn't be concerned with how the nominal membership fees for SegAmerica are spent, and I would fully expect administrative costs to eat them up.

GyroGo
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Note the distinction between time (and energy) and money.

And I wasn't criticizing the necessary "housekeeping", just a making cynical observation of ALL similar organizations that I have witnessed and a "watch out for" going forward.