PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong??

delouia
07-11-2006, 10:10 AM
This is my first time posting here.

I have had my segway I167 for about 3 years now.

My I167 just died last week - it is a crimp in the lower control shaft wire.

Segway no longer produces these wires so will charge me about $1200 to rewire the control shaft with the new wiring. I cannot afford this. I have posted looking for a cs. No one to date has one. less than 3 years and they no longer produce the part.

You may ask why I am posting in this forum. I am disabled - have been for 30 years. I normaly walk with 2 canes. My life changed when i got the segway. I was able to go to places i never had before. Within miles of my home. I live on long island ny and we have some great parks and gardens i was never able to fully enjoy until i got the segway. I rode it in the malls and at craft fairs, in museums, all over. I rode in the rain and the snow.

I rode the segway at my jobs. I work at 2 colleges one with 22 thousand students and rode all over the campus. I would constantly be answering questions about "oh thats cool what is it" and i would answer - Its a segway - check out segway.com

Unless i can find a replacement part from another source I will no longer be a segway customer. I am extremely disapointed in Segway Inc.

vertigo1
07-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Are the wires/cables you're referencing the ones that come from the CSB and have connectors on them to connect to the handlebar pole? (see pictuere). If so, this is a common problem I've seen. It stems from a defect from Segway that allows the handlebars to retract too low and crimp the CSB wires RIGHT AT THE BASE so it's nearly impossible to get to to fix.
That said, it IS possible and I HAVE done it before.
If you're real confident with a soldering iron it's not too bad. Just remove the CSB from the base (I believe it's like 4-screws or something). In order to remove the CSB's outer covering to GET to the wires you'll need to devise a way to un-screw the twist-bolt that screws down the cables to the CSB (see picture). Once you do that you can cut away the really-thick shielding and actually get to the super-tiny wires that make up the cable. Usually it's like 2-3 wires that are actually severed from either cable, the rest typically just need to be re-shielded. Make sure that you shield all the wires from each other. I recommend that once you solder the wires that you wrap the cable in Ultra-thick electrical tape several times to reinforce the cable insure it doesn't happen again. Also try not to lower the handlebar too low to keep it from crimping in the first place.
Hope this helps. Let me know!
-Bing
http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14131/CScable.JPG

QuadSquad
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
What dealer did you purchase your segway from?

Desert_Seg
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
You may not necessarily be wrong but I think you are being rather harsh. The component you are seeking to repair will actually be replaced so you will get a new CSB and a new CS cabling system.

You won't just be getting a wiring harness, you will be getting the entire upper portion of the machine.

Your unit is three years old and has been superseded by three models 170, 180 and now the new models soon to be available.

I think $1,200 is actually low cost when you consider what you are getting but then I would probably buy a new unit rather than foot the bill for the repair....but I'd wait until September to buy a new unit!

I also think you might be able to repair the unit. You are in Hicksville so you might be able to meet with Jonathan (macgeek) to see what can be done.

FWIW,

Steven

delouia
07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
What dealer did you purchase your segway from?

I purchased directly from segway in 2003

polo_pro
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
The component you are seeking to repair will actually be replaced so you will get a new CSB and a new CS cabling system.

I also think you might be able to repair the unit. You are in Hicksville so you might be able to meet with Jonathan (macgeek) to see what can be done.

Even if you do have to end up spending $1200 for new replacement parts, you'll find that you can resell the parts of the CSB that you don't use. Just in the last week, I've seen several people requesting parts that MIGHT be supplied to you but you end up not needing. (I will caution you though that based on looking at that wire nut in the above picture, you may need a special tool to undo it...this type of work may have to be done by mechanically inclined folks. Jonathan could probably tell you more.)

I'm kind of surprised that more Segway owners don't band together to purchase these high priced replacement parts (like the CSB/cabling system) and then split the costs appropriately depending on which specific part they needed. Isn't that the whole point of having a forum?

ps - Private messages are nice, but this type of search for other co-buyers should be done with public messages in the Sell/Buy/Wanted forum. By the way, if some kind soul wanted to put together a list of all the useful parts that come out of a given kit like the CSB, that'd go along way in helping buyers know that they could pool funds to make a single purchase.

delouia
07-11-2006, 12:35 PM

FWIW,

Steven

I have also been looking for a CS Base, be warned, There $500.00 and then you need to update your handlebar connectors as well, (if you have old style connectors) which adds $$$$ More.
Used CS bases are hard to come by.

If I get any extra I will email you, I been looking for over a month now

Jonathan

I have emailed macgeek already however as u can see from his post he has been looking for the same part for over a month along with 2 other posters in this forum.

Desert_Seg
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I know Jonathan is also looking for the part but I thought that maybe he can help you fix yours....

Steven

macgeek
07-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I have a gel called "reenterable encapsulant" that keeps the cables in one place, and may help you. If your willing to take a drive to brooklyn we could try it.

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=8245&highlight=reenterable

Jonathan

bystander
07-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Are the wires/cables you're referencing the ones that come from the CSB and have connectors on them to connect to the handlebar pole? (see pictuere). If so, this is a common problem I've seen. It stems from a defect from Segway that allows the handlebars to retract too low and crimp the CSB wires RIGHT AT THE BASE so it's nearly impossible to get to to fix.
That said, it IS possible and I HAVE done it before.
If you're real confident with a soldering iron it's not too bad. Just remove the CSB from the base (I believe it's like 4-screws or something). In order to remove the CSB's outer covering to GET to the wires you'll need to devise a way to un-screw the twist-bolt that screws down the cables to the CSB (see picture). Once you do that you can cut away the really-thick shielding and actually get to the super-tiny wires that make up the cable. Usually it's like 2-3 wires that are actually severed from either cable, the rest typically just need to be re-shielded. Make sure that you shield all the wires from each other. I recommend that once you solder the wires that you wrap the cable in Ultra-thick electrical tape several times to reinforce the cable insure it doesn't happen again. Also try not to lower the handlebar too low to keep it from crimping in the first place.
Hope this helps. Let me know!
-Bing
http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14131/CScable.JPGThe "twist bolt" or "wire bolt" you mention is a feature of the newer style CSBs. The older style had a thick rubber grommet, which makes it much more difficult to service the area. There is no easy way to remove the grommet, other than prying it through the hole. Cutting (away the grommet) might be an option, but where to find a similar replacement? There's also a bit of moisture sealant (RTV?) associated with the grommet, so that should be replaced when re-assembling, otherwise any moisture incidentally accumulated in the CS will drip into the CSB.

Judging by some of the other posts I've read, delouia has the old style connectors, and that's why the quoted factory replacement cost is so high.

I agree that the rest of your solution is apt, provided one's soldering & reworking skills are good.

vertigo1
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I digress. Guess the changes made to the early Segways were more than just "skin deep". Ahh well. Can't blame a guy for try'in :) Hope it helps SOMEone.
-Bing

delouia
07-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions - Vertigo ty for the visuals and the direction.

I have removed the base and yes it was a gromet

The wire is very week so we will try to repair it. I will let you know the outcome.

I would like to thank all the other dealers I telephoned looking for this part with no results for thier time. Many offering helpful suggestions especialy Vic at Annapolis Segway. I am finding out this is a rare part to come by.

Wish I knew that 3 years ago and stocked up.

sBucko
07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I think these guys are disscussing the same thing..........
http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=12655