PDA

View Full Version : Gate Check

Tarkus
07-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes I'm anal. I bought the 167 just to fly with and leave the day to day grunting to my 180, Tarkus.

But I had enough of the baggage handlers and made some quick fixes to things that I saw taking a beating.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/segforlegs/DSCF0005-1.jpg

After TSA I just wrap her up, takes less than a minute, and ride to the plane. Lower CS and that's it.

Parts:
(2ea) 1908300001 - Fender Frame Kit, XT - $99.95 (the most $$ part)
(1ea) 2 3/8" ID by 3/4" foam pipe insulation-$7.00
(1ea) 1 1/2" ID by 1/2" foan pipe insulation-$2.99
(1rl) Velcro straps-$6.00
(1pr) Old black socks-Free fron kids room

Last is the fender edge protectors that can be found at your local marine supply made by Taco Marine. Covers up or prevents those edge chips and cracks.

http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Flexible-Vinyl-Trim--cat_flexible_vinyl_trim.html

Alan

PS-I know some of you have gone miles and miles without doing anything other than lowering the CS and never had a problem.

But I am a little OCD !

skydiver
07-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I am looking forward to meeting you at
Segfest.

I like your work!!!

I am anal and have OCD, so believe me when I say, I totally get it!

I like my "stuff" to be treated with respect.

Tarkus
07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
I am looking forward to meeting you at
Segfest.

I like your work!!!

I am anal and have OCD, so believe me when I say, I totally get it!

I like my "stuff" to be treated with respect.

Thanks.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

My problem is being that the event is across country I'll be taking the 167 and leaving most of my "semi-custom" stuff and my pimped 180 Tarkus at home.

Alan

Stewbonz
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Those grab handles are perfect.
I recommend removing the front trim/bumper and installing the 12.0 bag for protection.

That foam insulation is much better than the bubble wrap I've been using.
I used my Segway as a baggage trolly too, plop the whole thing up on the scale and let them make the first move.
Only been charged a bit for overweight.
Definitly gets a few looks when it pops out of the baggage carousel.

Tarkus
07-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Those grab handles are perfect.
I recommend removing the front trim/bumper and installing the 12.0 bag for protection.

That foam insulation is much better than the bubble wrap I've been using.
I used my Segway as a baggage trolly too, plop the whole thing up on the scale and let them make the first move.
Only been charged a bit for overweight.
Definitly gets a few looks when it pops out of the baggage carousel.

The grab handles should be a stock, or at least an option. Why nobody at INC ever thought about lifting the thing just amazes me.

Wallace
07-11-2006, 08:58 AM
TARK: I like the padding idea very much.

Say, in the photo it shows the bottom of the Grab Handle Legs - the curved part - disappearing down between the Platform Mat and the inside of the Fender.

Somehow I got the idea that you would have to hacksaw off the lower ends of the legs because the Rubber Rings which go up and over the transmission covers (and the Parking Stand Handle -which the XT does not have) would prevent using the GH's as it is? What did you do to make such a clean installation?

Tarkus
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Used a tubing cutter and left just enough room for the legs to slightly "cut" into my homemade glide pad.

Gives it a clean look.

Alan