PDA

View Full Version : traveling with segway

mwnaido
06-18-2006, 04:16 PM
I am traveling in July from Chicago Ohare and would like to take my segway on American Airlines. I do have a handicapp placard and was looking for feedback in order to make my trip hassle free. I appreciate your feedback.

thanks,

mark

Tarkus
06-19-2006, 10:33 AM
I fly American often and you should have no problems.

You can gate check your HT, I ride my right to the plane door then lower the CS.
Then it's waiting for me, most of the time, when I get off.

Oh, no Lion batteries.

For more advocacy info visit www.DRAFT.cc if you have not already been there.

Happy Trails,
Alan

driley
06-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I flew last week on American and had no problems. I called first to let them know I would be traveling with a mobility device. I also make sure that I have a disabled placard or sticker prominently displayed on the front, which helps reduce the number of questions by ticket counter staff, security screeners etc.

When I arrive at my destination, I make sure that I tell someone as I am leaving the plane or at the gate that I have checked a mobility device as a “wheelchair” and need it brought up. I tell them that it is a Segway but has been checked as a wheelchair and they seem to understand right away, since they are used to the process for wheelchairs.

The first time that I flew with my Segway, I did not make a point of asking for it soon after we landed and it ended up being taken to the baggage claim.

I also do as Tarkus suggested and lower my control shaft. I would prefer to take the control shaft on the plane with me, to reduce the chance of it or the handlebars being broken, but it is difficult for the airline staff to move the base around without the control shaft attached.

You can expect a few questions by those unfamiliar but you should be ok.

Devin