PDA

View Full Version : New Segway - FINALLY

justME
06-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Hi Chatters,

I finally received my new Seg. I struggle with post polio and possibly Charcot-Merrie-Tooth (both are neuromuscular). Over the last two years my ability to walk distance - more than a 1/10 of a mile or so has decreased significantly. My vocation is hospital chaplaincy, and my walking limitations has really caused difficulty in doing my job.

This past week has revived my work and life, no religious pun intended. My work allows me to use the Segway, my co-workers readily accept my new "scooter," and sense I don't take it into patient rooms my patients are not distracted from telling their story. I feel 10 years younger.

My HR Directory authorized me using my flex benefit for medical reimbursemt and is considering authorizing my insurance to pay. It doesn't matter so much now because with my physician's letter of medical necessity and my employer's ok I can take it off my taxes as a medical expense.

As soon as I have pictures I may post a couple just in case some needs support talking with HR or employers. A picture "testimonial." :)

pam
06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Well, I guess we could even call this an answer to a prayer :) .

Bravo, Roy, and hope you enjoy the additional distance. I remember very early on that we had one doc on the forum who used an ht in the hospital. Everytime I go to Sacred Heart in Pensacola, I think how great a 'p' would be. Gosh, you have to walk FOREVER!
Pam

fredkap
06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Roy, Congratulations! The Segway will not only permit you to make your rounds but will create conversations with total strangers that you will be able to counsel as well. Keep a log of some of the more interesting conversations that you have which would never have occurred without the Seg. DRAFT needs first hand accounts as to how a Segway HT changes lives such as yours.

Happy gliding!

-Fred

Sal
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Roy, welcome to "the club" and please do post pictures...

Please stop in often.

-Sal

Tarkus
06-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Welcome ! Our numbers are growing.

segwaycf
06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Congrats! I love storys like yours. Its nice to be involved with a life changing technology..

wwhopper
06-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I can see the SEGWAY SMILE in your post.

Enjoy your glide time, and you will soon wonder how you ever lived without one.

jehemer
07-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Excellent piece of equipment.:)
I have MS and also find myself missing out on events because, although I can walk, it's difficult to go any real distance. Checked out the Segway at the shop on the Plaza here in KC and will purchase. I was a big cyclist so the same equipment concepts apply, should be fun.