PDA

View Full Version : Newton versus Du Preez

Seeker
02-17-2003, 03:46 PM
http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,6119,2-13-1443_1318881,00.html

Why do you Guys think, is one of Newton’s laws really in danger of needing to be revised, because of the work of this inventor ?

...Maybe someone could explain in laymen’s terms ‘why’ the results of this research are claimed to pose a threat to Newton’s Laws...as they stand presently

...Also, what flaws could you forsee in these claims, which might suggest that one of Newton’s Laws has not in fact been violated ?

“Klerksdorp - A controversial breakthrough in propulsion by a researcher from Klerksdorp may change transport on earth - and in space - forever.

Hannes du Preez, an engineering technician, has invented a new propulsion mechanism that uses the energy, necessary to move a vehicle, between ten and thirty times more efficiently than any modern car or jet engine.

Du Preez's invention has met with much scepticism and rejection from academics over the past five years, mostly because it defies Newton's laws of motion.

However, Du Preez has been improving his test model over the years and computer simulations show that the new propulsion system can be 100% effective compared to the normal 3% effectiveness of an average car engine.

The computer simulation shows that a well-known German sedan, with an engine that delivers 105 kW and can move from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.7 seconds, can produce the same performance with only 3 kW when using the propulsion system.

"Even if the engine's performance is two or three times better, it would already have a significant impact on transport costs. However, I believe the improvement will be much bigger," Du Preez said.

"Several leading academics have shown me the door and accused me of trying to make Newton into a liar."

Performance confirmed

Professor Ockert de Jager of the University of Potchefstroom, eventually offered to write Du Preez a computer simulation programme to prove to him that the machine could not work.

"Unfortunately, the computer simulation proved me wrong. I tried to find the mistake in the programme, but couldn't. The last models showed that acceleration took place without a net external force exerting an influence," de Jager said.

With the test model's performance confirmed and a computer programme to support the data, Du Preez and De Jager approached several motor manufacturers before DaimlerCrysler agreed to test the propulsion mechanism. A team of experts from Germany will test and analyse the invention and simulation model in March.

On Friday, a Canadian physicist, professor John Byl, put De Jager out of his misery when he said that physics laws would have to be revised when the results of experiments proved these laws wrong.

Du Preez, who sees himself as a practical person, just laughs about the academic furore. "The thing works. If we could develop it fully, it could mean that a macro jetliner would be powered by energy sources ten to thirty times smaller than what is used at present and it would need much less fuel.

"Because the propulsion system does not fight gravity, but develops its force internally, space ships would be launched much cheaper." “

johnpowers
02-21-2003, 11:02 PM
I am skeptical of this claim. 100% efficiency is not possible. Certainly, advances in technology, materials, and processes will make more efficient engines. But this claim sounds like a hoax.

Any claims of free energy or perpetual motion (as have been posted on Segway Chat in the past) should be immediately dismissed without question. They are just not worth investigating. Leave it to James Randi (http://www.randi.org).

I forgot to mention: the scientific jargon about developing force internally is a clear indication of pseudoscience.

quote:
"Because the propulsion system does not fight gravity, but develops its force internally, space ships would be launched much cheaper."

BruceWright
02-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Yeah. Total hoax.

The continual invention of "free energy" machines is the only perpetual motion we'll ever see.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream