PDA

View Full Version : Device and Method for Gripping a Handrail

dave27
09-27-2002, 03:37 PM
New Deka Products Patent Application:

A device and method for gripping a handrail or other object having a top and a bottom surface. The device includes a handle for gripping by a user. A fixed member is coupled to the handle for engaging one of the top and bottom surfaces of the handrail, and a movable member is movably coupled to the handle for engaging the other of the top and bottom surfaces of the handrail. An actuator coupled to the handle controls the movement of the movable member, the actuator allowing for repositioning and locking of the device with respect to the handrail. When the device is locked with respect to the handrail the fixed member and movable member engage the top and bottom surfaces of the handrail such that a force tangential to the handrail can be applied to the handle without the device sliding on the handrail.

http://ipdl.wipo.int/cgi-bin/ifetch5?ENG+PCT-392002+6+1055308-REVERSE+0+0+188+BASICHTML-ENG+1+1+1+25+SEP-0/HITNUM,B,NULL+sunstein

-dave

ftropea
09-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Looks like a tool for an Ibot user. Ever see a video of an Ibot going up or down stairs? The operator reaches over to the handrail in order to "pull" or "guide" themselves up and down. They always seem to have to stretch over. Perhaps this handrail tool will make it easier to reach and pull against a handrail. Here is the drawing from the front page of the patent:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=2&cid=6&page=1&pic=handrail_gripper.jpg

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

dupa
09-29-2002, 09:15 PM
Nice find Dave. And Frank is correct. The stair-climbing aspect of the Ibot is no simple task. The person in the Ibot must lean backwards into the stairs and then reach back over their shoulders to grab the handrails during ascent. I think it would be a little tricky even for a normal person. Many of these people have limited use of their hands, so this accessory is a natural. I would guess the Ibot will not be used for stair climbing anywhere near as much as it will be for the other features(better mobility and raised balance features). This new accessory kind of confirms that, I think.

Seeker
10-03-2002, 04:38 PM
I have a general question about displaying the patent pages from the U.S. patent office.

Does anyone else find that when they look at the 'drawings' from these pages, they appear as really huge pictures in your browser window ? (You have to scroll around to be able to see the whole image)

Anyone know what might be causing this, and how to fix it ?

Thanks,

Seeker