PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I saw on the way home from work?

Sal
04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
The gentleman was trying out the iBOT less than a block from my place!

I spoke with his partner there, and he was thinking about getting one for himself. "Would you ever turn down the chance to test-drive a Ferrari?" I was asked!

How wonderful! He was gracious enough to allow me to take a couple of photos.

http://dream2005.nfshost.com/ibot2.jpg

http://dream2005.nfshost.com/ibot1.jpg

-Sal

ZoliHonig
04-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Wow thats awesome sal, thats a real wild sighting!

QuadSquad
04-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Not exactly in the wild but very cool none the less! :cool:

http://www.draft.cc/draft3/Portals/0/KerrArticles/iBOT/Jerry-Kerr-&-Dr-David-Grey2.jpg

Stewbonz
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
That's great.
I had a disabled roomate at one time and had a good view of the difficulties he encountered.
I wish every disabled person could get a free IBOT or SegwayHT someday.

Timezkware Tim
05-03-2006, 03:04 PM
For those who may not know about Segway's predecessor, this from the Vanity Fair Article in 2002 about DK:

...Nine years later, Kamen unveiled the IBOT—a motorized, six-wheeled wheelchair that not only hops curbs but climbs stairs and zips easily through mud, snow, and sand. It also has a feature called "standing mode," in which the machine rises up on its wheels and lifts its occupant to eye level while maintaining perfect, stable, unshakable balance. When Kamen started testing the IBOT (which is now in the final stage of F.D.A. approval), he realized that standing mode was the real revolution. "Each person we took up the stairs said, 'Great,'" he told the wheelchair-bound journalist John Hockenberry. "But when we stood them up and made them eye level with another person, and they could feel what it was like to balance, every single one of them started crying." "I felt exactly that," Hockenberry wrote in Wired. "My brain's own sense of balance seemed to instantly merge with the machine.… It was truly extraordinary."

Sal
05-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Tim... I am sure that many members of these forums are already familiar with the iBOT but we still enjoy reading stories from the "early" days.

Thanks and welcom to SegwayChat.

-Sal

wwhopper
05-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Indy Seg members will now have glides with an IBOT user? That would be cool!

I have pictures of Stuart on the IBot from fesT Chicago.

Sal, thanks for coming on the SA excom call this week, your input was very valuable for the members to hear.

william collins
04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I went to the AbilitiesExpo last may to meet up with Mario of SegSeat fame ..At the show was a Company selling the i-bot ..had like 4 of them and giving Demos to the Disabled..tell the truth they were not very happy to see Segways going around the booths..Being there was five Segs there ..Myself,Mario,His assistant,and Ed Stang Owner and his Son of "Segway of Basking Ridge,New Jersey" Ed Had been hired by a vehicle dealer to go around with Seg Shields advertising the dealer.
This show is being held again Starting this Friday the 27th through the 29th Sunday at the Raratan Convention Center

Tarkus
04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Cool.

Of course the Ibot was not the first "Standing chair", it was the first to use "self balancing" tech.

Be Big,
Alan

PeteInLongBeach
04-27-2007, 01:14 AM
And don't forget stair climbing...

Mr_Laurenzano
05-05-2007, 11:40 PM
..Fred Ahhh Stair?
You anit got a thing untill you know that swing....
Crash
...I thing Bob Marley Said it best. " Buffallo Soilders.."
Crash