PDA

View Full Version : March Madness & The PGA Tour

Tarkus
03-28-2006, 11:28 PM
The NCAA Tournament at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Glided up to the doors and in I went, no Questions. A little later a security guard asked me and I told him I had no problems at the door, handed him the DRAFT info and all was well.

Downtown Jacksonville and the beaches are very Seg friendly with tons of well marked crosswalks etc.

Spent time at Jacksonville Landing, the downtown entertainment area with out a question.

The PGA Tour- The Players Championship.

I spent 4 days last week at The TPC at Sawgrass with the Seg.

Upon entry on the first day a security guard told me “no two wheel scooters”. I asked him to call disabled services and he did politely. A few moments latter a gentleman drove up in a golf cart. We spoke, I gave him the DRAFT info and all was well.

We spoke about the HT, which he had some knowledge of, and asked that I “take it easy” on the steep hills around the course. He also asked if I would mind if I showed the Seg to some older club members who would be interested in the HT as a mobility device. Of course no problem.

The PGA also thanked me for using a handicap sticker even though it was not required. It made their life easier when others asked about Segs on the course.

Over the next 4 days I was treated with respect and never another question. In and out of the clubhouse and all around the grounds it was wonderful.

Spent a lot of time talking about the Segway as a mobility device. People, many older, would come up and ask. for themselves or friends. We would talk and I would give them a “DRAFT CARD” more on that latter.

Many thanks to those at The PGA Tour.

Robbie Kinevil River Jump/Jacksonville BBQ Fest.

Went to Metro park in Jacksonville for the BBQ Fest, again no problems.

Kinevil did make the jump alive. Maybe next time he’ll use a Segway !

Over the last 10 days I put 145mi on the Seg and I must say that the SEGSEAT made a HUGE difference. My body would have never held up just standing.

About the draft card. I hope I didn’t do anything wrong but in the post 911 world my 12.0 bag was banned because of size in many places, so I shrunk the DRAFT info onto a two sided card I could carry in a pocket.

Over the course of the week I gave then only to those who asked about the Seg for mobility.

I gave out over 750 of them !

I’m not about selling Segways, which by the way most people, and I had to be have around at least 100,000 of them, thought that INC was out of business or they had never seen one in real life.

But most all saw the advantage the those with mobility challenges.

I plan to go to the Jacksonville MS walk this Sunday, then I have some demos at local rehab hospitals.

Regards,

Alan

Local newspaper photo

http://photos.jacksonville.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=11823779&thispage=1

http://photos.jacksonville.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&theway=next&picnum=1&image=11823781&thispage2=&return=

The Draft Card

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Tarkus/20060325211103.jpg

SegwayDan
03-29-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks, Alan, for your report and for your positive ambassadorship!

I found this version of the "DRAFT CARD" on DRAFT's site:

http://www.draft.cc/draft3/Portals/0/DRAFT%20ADA%20Notice.pdf

When you went to these events did your wife accompany you on a Seg? Just curious, as my wife is disabled with MD, but I'm not disabled, but we'd like to glide at such events together.

Any experience with getting gliding permission for an accompanying person on a Seg?

Dan Swanson

Tarkus
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Dan, Thats the same Draft info I just shrunk it to a little bigger than a biz card. That way I carry a pile without the bag.

Post 911 I should have thought about the 12.0 bag. Being I had no medical necessities in it, it was a no no. I knew better.

Never had any luck with bringing Christa with her Seg. I'm told it won't matter being I'll be moving at "walking pace" anyway.

Never much luck for the Segway and able bodied on private real estate, hence my wonder about wholesale acceptance of the HT.

Now I'll admit a real no no. On the way home, we walked, so yo speak to the course.
With about 1.5 miles to go she was whooped. I was going glide home and get the car when she said.......

"With my tiny feet I bet I could get on the back" ! I did a quick weight calac, 290 pounds and moved far forward while standing and she got on "motorcycle style.

Worked well, all bike path home and Tarkus ran fine, but I would not recommend this.

You know if somebody else spoke about "two-up" I would be the first to advise of the safety factor!

Shame on me ,
Alan