PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld Opinions???

Sal
01-11-2006, 12:07 AM
I know there are a few Mac fans here in SC.

I just wanted to get their opinions of the new Mac unveilings today.

IMHO: I'll wait for the rev2 Macbook Pro models to be released (so bugs can be worked out), but by that time the regular MacBooks will be released, maybe even a 12" MacBook Pro.

I didn't much care for the iMacs, though it's nice to see them perform well for entry level tasks as was the Jobs' presentation.

At first I was disheartened at the move to Intel (going from 64 to 32 bit), but if "UNIVERSAL" and Rosetta work as well as I have heard them work (from friends who are developers, and the like). It looks like another good year for Apple, and their move to becoming more of a media hardware integration company.

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003

ZoliHonig
01-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Wow Im pissed, just got a powerbook in september for so much more! Wow this macbook looks awesome....

I kind of was expecting some type of mac media center though... maybe next year

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

citivolus
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm wondering what the battery life is going to be on the new notebook. I'm thinking the lack of that spec indicates the processor/package isn't as frugal in its electrical appetite as the last rev. I'm also a little disappointed at the changes to the system like the lack of FW 800 and I wonder if they kept the open firmware or went to a traditional Intel BIOS.

The question on everyone's (the royal everyone's) mind, will it dual boot Windows? If it will, then I think this will be the single best thing they have done to get market share. I say that since it doesn't require a "cold turkey" switch, allows the direct comparison of the two operating systems and most importantly will give program developers a single platform for development and testing.

Finally, I'm wondering what is in store for the quad G5. It's a pity that Freescale shifted to an embedded focus and IBM's actions clearly indicate the Cell is the next generation of the PPC and is their chosen direction. Still I find it funny that M$ moved to Cell for the Xbox as Apple went to Intel. PPC is dead, long live the PPC, err...Cell.

--
swiftly flying

Sal
01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Citi, you make some valid points. Others have been curious about the battery life as well. I would assume it'll be the same as the current PB line, though the lower power per watt / brighter display might cancel them out.

You can scratch Dual Boot, at least for XP. I'm no programmer, but I have read that the MacBooks and iMacs use EFI, and Vista is set to use it as well, but XP doesn't. Hence no XP on Apple... I read about EFI last night, but it must have bored me, so I can't explain further.

I have played with a Quad G5, can't afford it at all! LOL esp with the RAM specs the owner had... and it SCREAMS!!!! I wonder how they compare to that.

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003

citivolus
01-12-2006, 06:23 PM
I think the EFI would be easy to get around with an existing chain loader that XP will understand. AFAIK, the bios is only accessed at boot time so anything that can pass the information to XP at boot time will get the job done. Besides, given the reluctance of many people to pay the MS tax when they upgrade their hardware, I'm sure it won't be long before someone fills this niche. I'll predict that it will be done by some open source group using something like Xen ( http://www.xensource.com/ ) and not MS. Actually that would be ideal, because you could run both at the same time.

--
swiftly flying

ZoliHonig
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I cna't afford a new macbook Pro, so I'm just gonna upgrade my RAM from 512MB to 1.5 GB, it will calm me till I can get the new macbook pro....

I wish at least they would put out an adapter for the magsafe power thing whch is very cool. They should make an accesory so you can use the magsafe on existing PB's

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

citivolus
01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, MacWorld got their hands on an Intel iMac and ran the core duo head to head with a G5 and well...overall I give it 1.25 yawns. Yes, it's quicker but not near as much as claimed and when you consider there are twice as many processing cores it's very near a disappointment.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/features/imaclabtest1/index.php

--
swiftly flying