PDA

View Full Version : Segway Success! IBM ad features Kamen

GyroGo
09-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Been lurking for a while, thought I'd start off with a good post:

A very kewl double truck (advertising lingo for 2 page) ad in the Sept 30 issue of Business Week (p.72 in my edition) features Dean Kamen on a Thinkpad (Intel and Microsoft co-sponsors) sitting in what looks like could be one of his Segway work shops surrounded by Segways and parts.

The feeling I get looking at it is very exciting, best I've had about Segway in a while. I feel it may be a milestone here in turning around many of the doubters and naysayers.

ftropea
09-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Although you were lurking, we did sense your presence...

Interesting.. is it ad IBM ad? Is it specific towards a certain model Thinkpad? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the goal of the ad is to "associate" IBM/Microsoft/Segway LLC - or just to promo the Thinkpad - or is it a "payback favor" by Dean towards IBM/Microsoft for FIRST sponsorhip money... Know what I mean? What's your take?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Casey
09-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Gary, I saw your post at TIQ about this, and went to BusinessWeek online as well as to WalGreen and Eckerds to see if I could get the magazine and scan the picture to upload. Neither of them or three grocery stores had BusinessWeek. If it is two pages, it is too large for that anyway, but I thought it worth a try.

Do you have a photo site you use online that you could use to share that picture with us by scanning and uploading it?

GyroGo
09-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Sorry, I can't scan it. It is an really an IBM Thinkpad ad. I don't remember which model, but it definitely was a wireless push. The reason I say it is co-sponsored by Intel and Microsoft is because they get their typical "Intel Inside" and (don't have it in front of me) something about IBM endorsing XP plugs that usually get them some co-op marketing funds.

ftropea
09-26-2002, 03:26 PM
OK, wireless makes sense. So it's Kamen on a laptop with a wireless connection? Do you get a view of the screen?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GyroGo
09-27-2002, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

OK, wireless makes sense. So it's Kamen on a laptop with a wireless connection? Do you get a view of the screen?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

The mags in the trash, but I don't think you see the screen. The ad mentions wireless, but its not like you can see wireless working in the pic :)

The workshop is pretty neat, literally and figuratively, looks like you could eat off the machines. That is if it is really a Segway/Deka workshop (which it seems to be) and not some sort of set.

ftropea
10-15-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey, is this the ad you were talking about? There is a photo of Dean Kamen on an IBM Thinkpad in his shop.

http://www-132.ibm.com/content/home/store_IBMPublicUSA/en_US/thinkpadcampaign.html

I put the photo in my photo album:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=2&cid=6&page=2#

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
10-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Is there any connection other than IBM wanting Kamen connected to their name. What is IBM doing for Segway? (if anything).

Just a side note, I'm still not aware of alot of things you guys already know second hand about the Segway-HT.

JohnM
10-16-2002, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Is there any connection other than IBM wanting Kamen connected to their name. What is IBM doing for Segway? (if anything).

Probably nothing for Segway, but I wouldn't rule out a generous contribution to FIRST.

n/a
10-16-2002, 03:29 PM
I wonder what the advertisment might mean? IBM is using Kamen and Segway to sell their laptops! Could that mean that they consider Kamen & Segway to be such potentially good attention getter that they think that they will sell more Thinkpads by assosiating Thinkpad, Segway and Kamen? Is this a way for IBM to send out the message that Thinkpads are also revolutionary technology? If IBM expected Segway to be a flop, surely they would not use such an ad, at least not in Business Week!

GyroGo
10-17-2002, 02:51 AM
quote:
Hey, is this the ad you were talking about?

Actually, I think that may be a cropped and possibly flipped version(I wish I still had the mag, but I think it was facing the other direction). You could certainly see alot more of the shop in Business Week.

GyroGo
10-17-2002, 03:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

I wonder what the advertisment might mean? IBM is using Kamen and Segway to sell their laptops! Could that mean that they consider Kamen & Segway to be such potentially good attention getter that they think that they will sell more Thinkpads by assosiating Thinkpad, Segway and Kamen? Is this a way for IBM to send out the message that Thinkpads are also revolutionary technology? If IBM expected Segway to be a flop, surely they would not use such an ad, at least not in Business Week!

from http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/me.nsf/US-webdocs/News:+A+new+ad+campaign+is+making+a+big+difference :

quote:A new ad campaign is making a big difference.

For too many business customers, one computer brand appears to be just like the other. They have virtually identical memory capacity, operating systems, processors and software. However, IBM PCs are going beyond the box, because they came about by people thinking outside said box.

That's what the new direct advertising campaign is all about. There truly is a difference in computers. A blue difference. The campaign focuses on innovative IBM solutions, not the typical features of most PCs. The campaign demonstrates how IBM offers up answers to critical business problems that enable companies to achieve real business benefits. For the end user, for the CIO and the IT professional as well.
The campaign shows the human side of business -- the people issues of success, workload, and workstyle -- not to mention lifestyle. There's a touch of the nontraditional in the pictures and the words. There's a sense of warmth, wit and a real understanding of the business life.

The message is simple: IBM understands your needs like no other. You want to work smarter so you can concentrate on the things that are truly important to you at the office -- or at home. Success isn't what others tell you it is. You decide where you want to go and IBM will provide unique ways to help you get there.

The effect? Initial response suggests that this advertising campaign touches powerful rational and emotional chords. People get the message that IBM understands them -- and their needs -- better than anyone else. IBM offers the products, solutions and expertise to help them do what they want to be doing.

n/a
10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
The Kamen/Segway parallells in the ad?

- going beyond the box, because they came about by people thinking outside said box.

-...There truly is a difference ...

-...answers to critical business problems that enable companies to achieve real business benefits.

-... the people issues of success, workload, and workstyle -- not to mention lifestyle. There's a touch of the nontraditional in the pictures and the words. There's a sense of warmth, wit and a real understanding of the business life.

- ...Success isn't what others tell you it is.

-... provide unique ways to help you get there.

Blinky
10-19-2002, 04:46 AM
Lawrence writes..
quote:The Kamen/Segway parallells in the ad?

- going beyond the box, because they came about by people thinking outside said box.

-...There truly is a difference ...

-...answers to critical business problems that enable companies to achieve real business benefits.

-... the people issues of success, workload, and workstyle -- not to mention lifestyle. There's a touch of the nontraditional in the pictures and the words. There's a sense of warmth, wit and a real understanding of the business life.

- ...Success isn't what others tell you it is.

-... provide unique ways to help you get there.
There are some interesting parallells found in the ad. I still wonder if there will be something in the work with IBM and DEKA/Segway, other than Ibm contributing money to First(mentioned before by another user).

Its not a bad idea for Ibm to get in good with Kamen now, especially when the Segway-HT isn't even available for the general public. So should we just conclude this much? or is there more to this that I'm not seeing? [|)]