PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating Segway for disabled use

kgeorgej
11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if there are any segway users out there who are tackling the late effects of polio.
I had polio affecting both my lower limbs and lower back about 35 years ago. I used to be fairly mobile until recently, but now I have a hard time walking even 1/8th mile.
Are there any of you with similar problem (esp. in South Bay/SF Bay area)? I would love to hear your experience with segway.
In particular, I'd like to know how well segway would handle gait problems, especially getting on and getting off.
Are there any seats available so that I can ride it sitting down when I need to?
Any experience with what you had to do to get a segway thru' medical insurance?

I went to an IEEE segway talk last evening at the HP cupertino (CA) site and met Steve Steinberg of Segway of Oakland who pointed me in this direction.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
George

Dragan
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
We have a significant number of customers with MS, some of them severely afflicted, who have seen huge lifestyle changes through the
Segway. You may want to check out DRAFT for additional info. The issue of seats has been widely beaten around, and there is one being finalized in Los Angeles right now that shows great promise. Do a search on Seg Seat and you'll see what I mean. Can't speak to the insurance issues, that'll have to come from someone in the U.S.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

QuadSquad
11-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi George,

While I would hesitate to put a number on it, I know there are many people who are Post polio who are using the Segway.

Some post here and you may well hear from one member in particular that I'm thinking about. Additionally you may wish to visit the DRAFT web site at www.draft.cc and register so that you may post on DRAFT chat. It is a very small forum that deals with disabled issues and new technologies. You are not allowed to view it or post unless you are a registered member.

There are galleries there with pictures of various prototype seat options, a review or two regarding them on DRAFT chat, however none of the seats are presently available commercially, although as Dragan said in his post the Segseat may be available in the next couple of months.

I am not aware of any medical insurance company which has paid for the Segway as an assistive device for anyone. While there is nothing which would prevent them from doing so it has not yet happened to our knowledge, and we keep our ears peeled very sharply for any news regarding this. If it ever happens you'll read about it on DRAFT.

DRAFT www.draft.cc
Championing Universally Designed Technology Solutions

Nelda
11-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi George!
Last night I wrote this lengthy post to you about how the segway has increased my quality of life going on and on and poof!-accidentally erased it.
So my advice is to JUST GO BUY ONE. Do whatever you have to do and just get one. I have a 'p' model and it suits my needs. As a typical type A Personality with PPS who talks constantly, I become almost speechless when wanting to tell another how fabulous a segway is. There are so many reasons to have one. Scooters suck, but a segway is cool. I will send you an email with more info.

Nelda
SegPortland

culs
11-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Indirectly, my experience may be applicable.

My few days on my new Segway is that my balance which is impaired, is better on my Segway and my stamina for standing is better when I am moving on the Segway. I call it 'active standing' since one moves around to lean weigh back and forth.

Getting on and off the platform is like taking a step up and down a single stair without a balancing aid.

Send a message if you want to hear more off line.

--

justME
01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi group

I am living with PPS. For most of my life I just kept working, now I am needing help. I go for an EMG tomorrow to find out what is going on and establish a new baseline. I also realize that I need contact with other PPSers. I have read about 20 journal articles in the last week and discovered that we have some common traits, and problems. I thought my irritability was just me, I found out that quick anger is a common trait due to the hidden psychology of PPS.

I am hopeful that by helping my Dr. write the mobility device orders I will get my insurance to help pay the cost. I did that when AFO-s were not paid for by calling them ankle foot BRACE. The word orthotic kick out the claim. I think if we get the Dr. to call this a PMD (power mobility device) or POV (power operated vehicle) we may slide by.

I test drove an i80 this week end and I am committed with or without INS.

Roy

wwhopper
01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
After seeing the difference a Segway makes in the lives of folks like QuadSquad and others, it is amazing how something as simple as a Segway can change how someone lives into how someone can thrive!

A Segway HT product can change a life, be it a disabled one, or an abled one!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America
The Premier Gliding Organization!
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!