PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a Segway in UK

Gaye
11-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Has anyone done it? As what and with whom? What is the cheapest route?
Also I am considering buying police handcuffs to secure my precious i170 if I have to chain it up anywhere - has anyone else tried them?
Mind you I am currently so infatuated with 'Harriet the Chariot' that I am of a mind to say that if a venue won't accept me with my Segway I will just go somewhere that does; handcuffs might not be needed very much!
Any and all suggestions (what am I saying!!?) welcome
Gaye
PS Have seen Street Cuffs advertised but they are s-o-o expensive!

Gliding, like cleanliness, is close to godliness!

william collins
11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Inventor has Handcuffs on his Seg..I myself would not carry them as I think in my area its illegal to have them..I use Segways Hub lock

There is no Mistake as Great as that of always being Right-- live with love and care, upon the level and by the square

cmonkey
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Real police handcuffs are only about half the price but can be picked with a piece of spring steel.
Not only that, you can buy a spare key anywhere.
The locking mechanism is the same so that cop A can open cop B's cuffs with cop C's keys!
Also consider that the cuffs are designed to keep the hands close together to prevent someone from trying to pick the lock if they knew how. Police cuffs are temporary restraints, not designed for securing property.
If you did use real cuffs, you could put one cuff around the control shaft, but the other cuff may not reach whatever you're trying to lock to.

The Street Kuffs use a barrel type lock, harder to pick, and there is some extra length between the kuffs so you CAN reach that fencepost or whatever.
Also they have rubber fittings to keep from scratching your seg.

As for legality, if you can get them they're probably legal (the bicycle kind that is)

I would not trust my seg to be safe with regular police cuffs. I'd advise against using them. Get the bike version with the unique key.

I love my magic carpet!

Gaye
11-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok, I can take the hint........ so who knows where the cheapest STREET cuffs are?
Gaye

Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!

cmonkey
11-24-2005, 03:48 PM
I searched and found two versions of the street cuffs.
One version only had 1 link betewwn the cuffs and went for $59
The other more common one has 9 links between the cuffs and starts at $79.
I found one site trying to sell it for $109!

I didn't know about the cuffs when I bought my seg, and the hub lock had just been recalled, so I purchased the regular Kryptonite cable lock. It sits coiled nicely at the base of the control shaft.
I like the cable lock as it sits snugly and doesn't move around.
I'd like to try the cuffs, but I don't know how much rattling around those extra links would do. That would drive me nuts.

I don't like having to coil and uncoil my cable lock, and I like the ease by which the cuffs can be used. Guess I'll just have to get a set and try it out.

I love my magic carpet!

Gaye
11-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Well at those prices let me know when you have finished with them! Champagne tastes but beer budget means I will have to look for 2nd hand ones!!
Gaye

Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!