PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of the Segway

n/a
08-31-2002, 02:07 PM
I though we might speculate about what directions Segway might evolve in the years ahead in this thread. Segway empoyees have talked about various Segway models and a family of products. The marriage of the Segway and stirling seems inevitable. Kamen has stated a number of times that Segway will not be complete without the stirling. Their trademarks also mention various products to be produced: chariots wheelchairs (not ibot) etc. We have speculated about flywheels being eventually being incorporated. Flibber at TIQ found this interesting link worth reposting:
http://news.siu.edu/news/March02/030502b0206.html

This article by Dan Bricklin alludes to the potential of of Segway. He is enamored by the concept of "active mechanics" which Segway is among the first embodiments of:

quote:Think of the Segway like the first uses of the microprocessor in a calculator, before the personal computer, PDA, flat panel LCD, DSP, GPS, etc. On my run when I saw a Vespa-like motor scooter putt-putt-putting along, I thought of the abacus.

http://www.bricklin.com/segwayride2.htm

ftropea
08-31-2002, 04:24 PM
I know it's far-fetched today, considering the cost of the components, but I forsee adding this kind of interactive tech in anything that you lay your hands on.

How about a push vacuum that easily gliding along the floor - even along those tough carpets - backward and forwards simply by applying slight pressure to the handle. Heck, you could even ride on top of it - although I don't think that's neccessary...

Or any hand tools that coulde essential amplify your strength..

For example, a plumbing wrench which applied high torque as you turned it. Of course it would have to be designed to anchor itself against an area other than your hand, but you get the idea...

The scaled down version of the Stirling's applications are obvious - just put wherever you're using batteries today...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

ziggystardust_
08-31-2002, 04:43 PM
For 'Segway as a product' you really can just look at applications of the product itself for other verticals. i.e. Segway on the golf course (to replace or complement walking and golf carts). For evolution of the Segway itself I think lighter, laterally stabilized, and cheaper would be a good initial evolution

For 'Segway as a springboard for DS in other applications', I think only an accomplished mechanical engineer can truly figure out whether or not the DS would be better in other products. For the vacuum example, would a handgrip that, when turned forward it applied forward propulsion and when turned back reverse propulsion, be cheaper than applying Segway DS technology to it. I can guess at it, but I don't know for sure.

The key in designing alternative uses for the Segway technology is to make sure that you are not creating a solution that's looking for a problem. In doing that you may create neat technology that will never be a viable business.

Casey
08-31-2002, 05:04 PM
While the DS vacuum cleaner might work, we have a 10 year old Hoover self-propelled upright. You accurately described its operation. The handgrip slides forward and backward on the handle. You simply grasp the handgrip. It you push it forward, the vacuum cleaner goes forward. Release the grip, and it stops all motion. Pull back and it reverses. Completely effortlessly on all carpets. Push a button to disengage the drive and you can provide the motive force yourself.

Frank

Brooster
09-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Good to see you here Lawrence.

I think this will be a great site, particularly when we begin to get a little more "concrete" info on Segway LLC and their goals/objectives.

Still no public demos since the Chicago show ... either Segway is really remiss in their marketing, or I'm REALLY lucky to have received the "special showing" in the back room ... or both?

[8D]

Best,
Broo

Brooster

Casey
09-01-2002, 07:18 AM
quote:or I'm REALLY lucky to have received the "special showing" in the back room

Did you sneak in under the tent flap?;)[:p]

Somebody mentioned missing one about 10 miles from his home in, I think, Seattle.

Frank

n/a
10-18-2002, 07:41 PM
This article might give Kamen & co some evolutionary ideas.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.11/bots.html

ftropea
10-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Great article!

Of course innovation didn't die after Segway was born ;)

But seriously, many solutions to today's problems can be found in nature. Self-balancing machines... low powered flight... withstanding great pressures and temperatures.. all already tackled and solved by nature.

The difficutly is, of course, being able to "mimic" these natural solutions and develop everyday - mass market applications. We see this happening in other areas. One quick example... batteries are being designed that produce electricity by "digesting" organic matter much in the same way as we humans do.

It's good to see Kamen and Co. are keeping an open mind and inviting experts in these areas to speak with them. Dean Kamen isn't done working on Cobots (colloborative robots)... I expect to see many variations out of DEKA/Segway before my time is up :)

Also, if anyone got the feeling Kamen suggested that Mr. Full's concept of a legged robot was somehow superior to his, and his engineers', solution to balance (the Segway) - well... hold on just a sec ;) If the issue is stability, the solution doesn't have to be eight legs...

It can be that uniball we've speculated about ;) And don't expect Kamen to spill the beans about that, or anything else he's working on, before it's done - or before he's ready!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
10-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Yes Frank, It would be interesting to see what Kamen has in mind, or what his visions are of the future of COBOTS.
To bad it took so many years for us to realize that it isn't practical(right now) to invent robots that can walk on two. But, I am sure one day there will be a "variation" of something in those lines.

In our life time, I think alot will happen. Maybe Kamen will be the one that makes it happen sooner than later.

don c.
10-20-2002, 11:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Yes Frank, It would be interesting to see what Kamen has in mind, or what his visions are of the future of COBOTS.
To bad it took so many years for us to realize that it isn't practical(right now) to invent robots that can walk on two. But, I am sure one day there will be a "variation" of something in those lines.

In our life time, I think alot will happen. Maybe Kamen will be the one that makes it happen sooner than later.

Here are a couple of links to multi-legged walking robots from Cool Robot of the Week (http://ranier.hq.nasa.gov/telerobotics_page/coolrobots.html)

http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/biomimetics/documents/sprawl/

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/boadicea/boadicea.html

Blinky
10-21-2002, 01:54 AM
Thanks Don C., that made for some interesting reading. Going back and giving Lawrence's original post in this thread another look, the idea is even more intriguing.