PDA

View Full Version : Study Idea

Sunday
02-04-2003, 11:50 PM
So, I was thinking a few minutes ago, wouldn't it make a great study for Segway to sell some units to persons with disabilities and the elderly? They could then study the effect that the Segway had on their daily lives. This data could then be shown to any towns thinking of banning the Segway; as evidence that a ban would heavily impact those people that the do-ggoders are supposedly trying to protect.

After all, how many of these so called pedestrian advocates are elderly or disabled? Seems to me that a majority of these folks are just looking for a cause to further their own political ideas, and gain some publicity for themselves. Then they can drive around in their shiny SUV, and pat themselves on the back for protecting all of us poor defenseless pedestrians.

It will be interesting to see the results of how the Segway is impacting the lives of the Celebration residents. I just hope there are a few elderly or mobility impaired people that live in Celebration.

Mark Sunday
Walking in Park City, Utah

JosephM
02-05-2003, 12:01 AM
That would be a great idea. But I think an outside study group should do it with Segway providing the Segs to use. They should follow hip disorders, arthritus in the knees, and other patients.

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/icon_segway_happy.gif FIRST Pit News Mag @ www.pitnews.org

JaneJetson
02-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi Mark --

Well maybe, except that if you sell it to disabled folks as a specific device for dealing with their disabilities, you'd be setting it up to be categorized as a medical device. The burden of proof of safety for medical devices is MUCH higher than it is for consumer products (which I believe is how the Segway is currently regulated).

In order to meet those standards, a company has to do much more exhaustive (read EXPENSIVE) safety testing, and get FDA approval before releasing the device to the general public. All of the marketing material that I've seen from Segway says that it is not a medical device. I suspect that this is to avoid invoking FDA oversight. I'm sure the folks at DEKA have lots of experience with what the FDA approval process looks like (and it is probably part of why the iBOT wheelchair is so expensive).

This isn't to say that the Segway wouldn't be GREAT for many folks with disabilities or the elderly. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least a few major benefits, besides the obvious:

Curb cuts: The more wheeled pedestrians there are, the more and better the curb cuts will get.

Inclusive versus Exclusive: Sit in a wheelchair, and you disappear as far as much of the rest of the population is concerned. Glide on a Segway, and no one will automatically assume you're disabled.

You're right; it will be interesting to see what comes out of the Celebration studies.

JaneJetson

Deviant
02-05-2003, 12:13 AM
JaneJetson is right. DK said they can't target sell to disabled people without getting FDA approval.

GadgetmanKen
02-05-2003, 01:03 AM
It then would get nit-picked to death, and never get approved. Mearly a speck in the plactic in the wrong place, could fail the whole device. FDA doesn't mess around, everything has got to be perfect and exact.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

Sunday
02-05-2003, 03:29 AM
Sorry folks, I didn't mean to imply that the Segway should ever be marketed to the disabled community as a medical device. I just thought it would be neat to see how a person with any impairment could utilize the Segway to become more mainstream in their daily activities.

Many persons with hip problems, arthritis, prosthetics, etc, are able to use a car just fine for getting around. Or ride a bus for that matter. Neither a car nor a bus are medical devices though. But they have shown some degree of usefulness to certain segments of the population.

I would love to see someone who would otherwise need a walker, Glide into the grocery store, do their shopping, and then Glide home. Or a person with MS who would otherwise use a little mobility scooter, Gliding along the jogging trail, looking like everyone else.

Technology such as this will be utilized by many people for its intended role. I am just very hopeful that some persons with impairments will find it useful for the same reason, and a few others, as the rest of the target market.

When I get mine, I'm going to let my arthritic friend try it out, and my amputee friend too. And of course, I'll post pics! I am also considering painting the shaft white with a red tip, and put a Mr. Magoo figure on the front of the bag:)

motleyorc
02-05-2003, 12:33 PM
There is a handicapped gentleman taking part in the Celebration study with the rest of us. He lost both of his legs below the knee. Somehow he (and I assume the Segway people) have fashioned some sort of platform that he rides up on. I've only seen him out once, but it's amazing that the unit works like that.

http://www.segwayceleb.com

numenaster
03-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Funny you should mention the idea of disabled people using Segways: that's why I registered for the forum. My partner has a back disability which after 6 surgeries has left her able to walk short distances with a cane, but not far enough to even traverse our entire local mega-grocery store. We're RIGHT NOW evaluating Segways and mobility scooters to see what can be done to let her escape from the house without me there to drive her somewhere, since she's on WAY too much medication to try driving her pickup. One of the concerns we had about Segway was whether balancing on it (especially in turns) would put strain on her lower back where the spinal fusion took place. Can anyone shed light on this question?

pt
03-04-2003, 02:26 PM
numenaster-

i would work with her doctor on this, but my first thought is-- this might not be the best solution.

cheers,
pt

http://www.bookofseg.com

numenaster
03-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks Pat. I've been reading some of the other posts from people with MS, and I think my partner's experience would be much like theirs--she gets tired real fast but she CAN bend a bit, and stand for spans of time. I'll keep reading and look for opportunities to take a demo glide in the Portland/Vancouver area.

numenaster
03-04-2003, 05:09 PM
'Scuse me, I should have said "Thanks Phil."