PDA

View Full Version : Segway clone from Toyota at Tokyo motor show

pepper
10-18-2005, 12:03 AM
No! it is NOT my design (I wish it was;))

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/pepper/swing.jpg

Ciao

Peppe
The Orange Monster

william collins
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Must be one of those Concept Vehicles..That don't even have working parts

There is no Mistake as Great as that of always being Right-- live with love and care, upon the level and by the square

macgeek
10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

"Think outside the car"
http://bandster.us/pms.jpg

wwhopper
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Jon, you are probably OK, that thing can not due what a PIMP MY SEGWAY can do, or could the team working on it come up with the ideas you have floating around in that head of yours.

It's OK, Your Still a Brooklyite! Always will be... No one else could be like you, even in Japan! - So your Safe.... Now the rest of us, that is a very different story!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America Event's Premier Event - SegwayFest - DC Is Now Just A Memory
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

dgbint
10-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Interesting ?
Could Toyota be the next 'Smart Motion' licensee ?

Now, that would be an achievement !

Michael

Stan671
10-19-2005, 12:28 AM
So far, I have not seen any evidence that this isn't just a design idea and a set of drawings. Does anyone have an actual photo or video of a real working machine?

Stan Dobrowski

dgbint
10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Here is a link to a slightly better photo.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/10/11/145314.html

It looks like a multi wheel thing.

Michael

GyroGo
10-19-2005, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by dgbint

Michael

Toyota cloning the "Q"? very disappointing.

JohnM
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by GyroGo

quote:Originally posted by dgbint

Michael

Toyota cloning the "Q"? very disappointing.
It would operate on two wheels at walking speeds. The third wheel deploys for road speeds. More like R2D2 than Q.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235

skywalker2000
10-30-2005, 03:53 AM
http://www.theautochannel.com/link.html?http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/autoshows/index.html
click on the toyota's flash......and it has a much details description on i-swing
dun miss out the stage movie in the last part of the flash.....and u can see a Fantastic marketing video from toyota about it's i-swing........and u can see the real car in that part too
I saw that on TV's news report and the real car is smooth
personally, This would be a Great competitor of segway if the price is the same.......

Segway is here!
Tom Lee

pam
10-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure it will be a competitor - apples and oranges. Just like the Neighborhood Electric VEhicles are not really competitors - they are both electrically operated, they both will take a person from one place to another, but that's as far as the comparison goes. Sorta like comparing Vespas with Electrically supplemented bicycles.
Pam

JohnM
10-30-2005, 01:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by pam

I'm not sure it will be a competitor - apples and oranges. Just like the Neighborhood Electric VEhicles are not really competitors - they are both electrically operated, they both will take a person from one place to another, but that's as far as the comparison goes. Sorta like comparing Vespas with Electrically supplemented bicycles.
Isn't getting from one place to another what transportation is reallly all about? If one considers land transportation as a continuum, with walking at one end and high-speed rail at the other, with the multitude of alternatives occupying their respective overlapping niches, then there is no one method without competition. The Segway does overlap with walking, running, rollerskating, cycling (pedal and motorized), NEVs and cars, therefor competing with them. Each transportation method has its own set advantages and disadvantages, and cirumstances and personal preference will dictate the final choice. But to say that the Segway has no competitors is naive. Certainly the Segway has a distinct set of operating characteristics that make it suitable for manuevering in tight environments like sidewalks and indoors, however those are not the critical environments where most transportation takes place. Getting from here to there, i.e. transportaion, is not really the Segway Human Transporter's forte, moving within an restrictive environment is. This Toyota thingy is too big and bulky to match the Segway's manueverability, but with the addition of the third wheel for high speed stability it may be more suitable a quick zip to the 7-11 or Circle K for a loaf of bread. Both devices occupy overlapping niches between walking and cars, and would be in direct competion for the same alternative transportation dollars.

The only way you might say that the Segway has no competitors would be to pull it off the transportation continuum completely and deny that it is a Human Transporter at all. Maybe call it a Electic Personal Assistive Mobility Device? But for Segway Inc the change the product name from HT to EPAMD and redefine the device's primary function from transportation to mobility would be shooting themselves in the foot, or dynamically stabilized wheel as the case may be. Mobility Device sounds to much like a device for the elderly or infirm, which ironically is turning out to be a major market for HTs. But then the competition becomes the Rascal scooter.

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235

pam
10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Actually, I don't agree with you John, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't consider roller skates and bicycles as competitors, although they're both forms of transportation. I'm not saying that the HT has NO competition, however I don't see the i-Swing as competition, given what I know of both units. Just as I don't consider the Q to be "competition" for the HT.
Pam

JohnM
10-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Actually, I don't agree with you John, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I don't consider roller skates and bicycles as competitors, although they're both forms of transportation. I'm not saying that the HT has NO competition, however I don't see the i-Swing as competition, given what I know of both units. Just as I don't consider the Q to be "competition" for the HT.
I'd like to hear your definition of competition. Do the competitors have to be so similar as to be virtually identical?

JohnM
RUSA #235

pam
10-30-2005, 05:53 PM
They have to be sufficiently similar to fill the same niche. So, in some sense, yes, they have to be sufficiently similar. Just as Fords and Dodges are competitors, whereas Fords and Kubotas are not, although they both run on gas and have 4 wheels and are both a form of transportation.
Pam

JohnM
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM

They have to be sufficiently similar to fill the same niche. So, in some sense, yes, they have to be sufficiently similar. Just as Fords and Dodges are competitors, whereas Fords and Kubotas are not, although they both run on gas and have 4 wheels and are both a form of transportation.
Pam

Segway Inc, in their very first national ad, proclaims "The Smart Alternative to High-Price Gas" and "Had Your Fill of Filling Up?", while showing a SUV sitting at the pump while a happy Segger glides by. "About half of all car trips in America are less than 5 miles ... trips ideally suited to the Segway HT." They are competing against the internal combustion engine.

Your business competition is anyone getting the money that you want. If Segway Inc wants to carve out a niche on the transportation spectrum, any device that overlaps that niche is their competition. As long as cars are being used for trips ideally suited for Segways, that's the target. Segway has seen the reality of the situation.

JohnM
RUSA #235

pam
10-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Yes, but I'm limited to what I can carry on the HT, and am limited to the distance I can travel. The HT is no competition at all for my car for my shopping trips on Saturday. I have to have a car. I can limit the amount of gas I use weekly via the use of my HT going to and from work, but I will never be able to completely replace my car. At least not in the place I currently live. If I were to live in a major metro area, I might be able to replace the car. But I wouldn't do it with the i-swing.

Pam

GyroGo
10-31-2005, 03:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

I'd like to hear your definition of competition. Do the competitors have to be so similar as to be virtually identical?

The Segway is an electriped (electric pedestrian) and competitors would have to also be able to function not only as electically powered transportation devices, but also coexist safely and socially with pedestrians on a sidewalk or in a building.

JohnM
10-31-2005, 08:49 PM
"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door" doesn't hold true if everyone in the world owns a cat.

JohnM
RUSA #235

GyroGo
10-31-2005, 10:13 PM
[br}... doesn't hold true if everyone in world owns a cat.

but not everyone does own a cat

JohnM
11-01-2005, 12:16 AM

but enough to be competitive.

JohnM
RUSA #235

GyroGo
11-01-2005, 12:58 PM

but not enough for the mousetrap to NOT be competitive

:)

JohnM
11-01-2005, 02:37 PM

but not enough for the mousetrap to NOT be competitive

:)
At last someone admits that two vastly different products can be competitors for the same market. What makes them competitors is not the form that they take or the manner in which they operate, but the basic function that they perform.

JohnM
RUSA #235

pam
11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
John, why are you so concerned that someone else agree with your opinion? It makes your opinion no more right or wrong than it previously was. Just as my opinion was neither right or wrong - it was just my opinion.
Pam

GyroGo
11-01-2005, 05:25 PM
[brAt last someone admits that two vastly different products can be competitors for the same market. What makes them competitors is not the form that they take or the manner in which they operate, but the basic function that they perform.

Well, I don't want to go too much further with this, but while I get your point about function vs. form, there are a variety of considerations that come into play in considering something to be in the same category of direct competition, not just sharing some functionality features. I think we're talking more about the semantics of the word "competition", because while you may open your garage and decide to take your pick-up truck after thinking of taking your Porsche, they are not considered competitors.