PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit in car reminds me of Segway safety...

SegwayUtah
10-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I was in New York City the other day, and was the passenger in a car.

Our car was driving through an interesection when a driver ran a red light and ran into the right side of the car, probably at about 30-35 mph.

For a moment there, all I could do was watch the inevitable multi-ton mass of car speeding towards me, with only a few inches of steel and air separating us.

Luckily, I didn't get any bones broken, and I feel fine--but interestingly enough it made me really grateful for the fact that the Segway HT is such a safe device.

I frequently tell people that the HT has about the same risk factor as a human being on foot. Being in this situation gives me a re-affirmation to the importance of reducing not only our pollution and our wasteful use of space and gas, but also of reducing the pain and death that we inflict upon each other through our consumption.

A pedestrian group once said that a pedestrian gets hit by a car in New York City, on average, about every 27 minutes. And five of those human beings die every week. I know that cars are fairly indispensable tools--especially now that we have built our country's infrastructure around them--but I have to wonder if we couldn't save lives, in addition to helping the environment, by encouraging mass transit and more responsible personal transportation options.

Chris

Zorba9
10-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Glad you're okay Chris!

KOG

Zorba9.....