PDA

View Full Version : I'm interested in a Segway (Cerebral Palsy)

skyhopper88
10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I am 17 living in Lubbock, Texas, and will be starting college next year. Due to cerebral palsy, I have limited use of my left limbs and I am blind in the left half of each eye. Because of my eyesight I have not been released to drive, at least not in a heavily populated area. And because of balance issues I am unable to ride a bike. Though I haven't tried since I was 13. Anyway, transportation is going to become an issue. I am planning to go to school at Texas Tech, same city. I have read a bit of this forum and I know of DRAFT. Budget may or may not be an issue as the Commission for the Blind will pay for most of my tuition, but any aid would help. And it is my understanding that insurance would not cover the purchase as it would be considered a luxury. I have not spoken with the Commission for the Blind nor Texas Rehab, but I will soon. I guess I really didn't ask anything in particular, but any comments are welcome.

Malkah
10-08-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey, you let us know what you find out. I'm out here with mobility challanges due to a heart condition. I can drive where I want to go, it's getting from the car to my destination.

I'm just starting to look into this. I did hear, if you get a prescription from you doctor for an upright mobility device, you may be able to deduct part of your purchase price from your taxes.

You may know more about this than I.

Good luck,
Malkah

fredkap
10-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Skyhopper - We have someone that has switched the steering from the left hand to the right. We will get you the name as that would be needed for you.

Malkah, if a Dr. prescribes a Segway for a mobility impairment than all of the purchase price is deductible. If you file this as a Form 1040 itemized deduction than your medical expenses need to exceed 10% of your AGI before you get any benefit. If you have a business than there are some tax credits available.

Fred

MagiMike
10-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I applaud your interest and wish you only well. But I have to tell you I do have some concern about your ability to use a segway. I know my fellow forum members and disability advocates may blast me for pointing out possible problems but my intention is to point out potential issues not to limit your opportunity to try out something you think you might like and be able to do.

Have you had an opportunity to try one yet? Turning is controlled with the left hand and is very sensitive. Sudden uncontrolled movement of the left hand on the control could be dangerous. I of course have no idea how much spasticity your condition gives your individual condition but having worked with others with this condition I'd suggest you to try it out before plunking down the cash. Balance controls the speed and direction of movement. Have you adequate control of this?

If you have not yet had a ride on a Segway, I'd hope a forum member near to you would offer you a demo ride but if not- I would be willing to make the trip from Houston some weekend in hopes my concerns are unfounded and you are a good match for this fine machine.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail off forum if you want.

Mike in Houston

<center>"From now on walking is for chumps" - John Ratzenberger</center>

Sharkie
10-08-2005, 09:23 PM
We don't get the ability in Canada to use a Segway as a medical deduction. I check with the tax department, and spoke to someone VERY knowledgable on the subject, and the Segway is not included in any way as a deduction.
Having said that, however, I bought one any way, and it's been a fabulous item for me. I too have a serious heart condition, and while I can drive to a destination, I can't do much other than park when I arrive. The Segway has allowed me to go places and do things that I haven't been able to do for years! I may not have gotten a tax break on it, but at this point, I don't really care. I have a life again, and I'm doing things that I couldn't have even dreamed of a couple of months ago. Certainly the best money I ever spent.

Jim

Of course I'm an EXPERT!
X is an unknown quantity,
Spurt is a drip under pressure

skyhopper88
10-09-2005, 12:26 PM
I appreciate your concerns Mike. No, I have not yet had the opportunity to try one out. But I will try to contact Wallace, as he lives in Amarillo and I could easily make the trip there. I walk with a slight limp. My disadvantage with a bike was more due to the difference in length of my legs making it difficult to peddle and balance at the same time. As long as I have both feet planted I should be fine. Turning with my left hand may be problematic, but switching the steering to the right is definitely something I'd look into if that was my only issue.

Tappedout
10-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Skyhopper8,

I just wanted to encourage you to try out the Segway and see if it works for you. If you are like me you will know in a matter of minutes of being on the Segway if it will work or not. I myself have hardly no use of my left leg due to a fused hip and a birth defect in my right arm gives me little use as well. And to top it off I recently broke my good arm (Left) at the elbow. I have still been able to ride it lol. Two bad arms and only one good leg! Hows that for ease of use. But you will know if it will be what you are looking for soon after trying it. I can only tell you that it has done wonders for me! I wish you the best and please keep us posted!

Shane

Shane Latham, CEO/President
www.technicallywireless.com

Sunday
10-10-2005, 01:28 AM
As far as getting one goes, here are the routes I would pursue:1) Ask Commission for the Blind, 2) Set up a PASS with social security (You'll be eligible for SSI or possibly SSDI benefits when you turn 18, depending on your prior work history), 3) Contact your state's Assistive Technology loan program. Many states offer very low interst loans for persons with disabilities to finance items not covered by insurance.

Good Luck,

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.