PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Gills for Humans..MA Law HELP

Lastquest
10-02-2005, 02:49 AM
First...The State of MA is considering an EPAMD law and we would like your support. Email me at LastQuest@Comcast with your address and I will Snail Mail you a package..THANKS

Back in the early 70s I was a participant in a State Science Fair. There was a project that had a tank with a mouse in it, submerged in an aquarium of water. The mouse was able to get oxygen through a silicone membrane made by General Electric. Oxygen could past in, CO2 past out, and water couldn't get in!

Popular Science Mag. saw an Aqualung possibility . DEAN K. what ever happened? You like medical products! Artificial Human Lung possibility? Anyone know anymore about it?

GadgetmanKen
10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
I remember seeing years ago a video of a mouse in a tank of what appeared to be water and swimming around in it. If I recall it was some special liquid with florine, floride or something that sounds to that effect. The bad part about it was the mouse and supposedly human volunteers had to go through a frightening drowning process before it worked. I think they even made a sci-fi movie about it. I seem to remember the human (don't know about the mouse) had bad reaction to it after it evaporated from their lungs. Don't know where its gone from there. But it is true, that Dean most likely could engineer it or make it feasible for humans. Just hope he doesn't get the idea to try it himself till its long prooven. It baffles me to hear of very rich and powerful men trying new technologies (such as Mr. Walton of Walmart) trying and dying in an experimental aircraft. Walmart and Sam's club took a huge loss. I don't think I'd want any implanted in me, myself. I think I could try one in a face shield, mask or something, once it was perfected. Perhaps they could build this into a snorkel or something? Ooooppps, I think I've done it again. Check your sporting goods store soon. :)

As for the mouse with the gill implant you speak of. It seems that maybe this was the first stages of where Gore-Tex came from. Don't know. I believe it works the same way. It breathes but doesn't let water in. Gore-Tex is used in a lot of things now. Shoes, boots, raincoats, tents, shall I go on? Maybe they should try making umbrellas out of it. Air in (bypass) water out. Hmmmm....

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

Stan671
10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
In the movie, "The Abyss", directed by James Cameron, Ed Harris's character used a special deep diving suit made for the Navy that was filled with this breathable fluid. With no air to worry about, the diver could go incredibly deep.

In the movie, they showed a rat being put into the fluid, panicking a bit while "drowning" and then relaxing when it could breath. Then the rat was removed from the fluid and once it's lungs drained, it was breathing air normally. Then Ed Harris's character did the same thing.

Stan Dobrowski

Sal
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Geez, I didn't remember that rat scene in the movie, Maybe I saw the CUT version on television. I have to rent toe directors cut. I loved the Abyss.

Thanks, Stan for reminding me of that great flick.

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003

voiceguy
02-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I found a couple of good articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss (see the trivia section)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing

Sal, in the Trivia section you'll learn why you didn't see the mouse in the film (in the UK).

voiceguy

quote:Originally posted by Stan671

In the movie, "The Abyss", directed by James Cameron, Ed Harris's character used a special deep diving suit made for the Navy that was filled with this breathable fluid. With no air to worry about, the diver could go incredibly deep.

In the movie, they showed a rat being put into the fluid, panicking a bit while "drowning" and then relaxing when it could breath. Then the rat was removed from the fluid and once it's lungs drained, it was breathing air normally. Then Ed Harris's character did the same thing.

Stan Dobrowski

"Every journey of ten thousand feet ... begins with but a single lean forward..."