PDA

View Full Version : Recently Bought Used 167 - Curious About Battery

cbphl
09-16-2005, 01:22 AM
As the subject states, I recently bought a 1 1/2 year old Segway with a claim of less than 10 hours of use. The Segway arrived yesterday, certainly appearing to have little to no use and I promptly powered the device all evening. When I attempted to use the Segway today, it powered up in assist mode, but then powered down when I attempted balance mode. Based on the manual's suggestion, I disconnected the internal cords, and then reconnected. The Segway now appears to be working fine. So, with that said, my question is: Is there any battery reconditioning that I should perform prior to any consistent use? If so, what does that consist of? Finally, although the use of the Segway appears to have been limited, has the fact that the Segway has mostly sat idle for a year-and-a-half compromised the battery life in any way? The gentlemen who I purchased the Segway from indicated that device was plugged into an outlet the entire time he has had the device; certainly questions I should have asked prior to buying a Segway. Note: to the best of my knowledge, the prior owner appeared to be honest and forthright.

dgbint
09-16-2005, 08:58 AM
If it's ben plugged in most of the time, it should be OK.

Charge it fully ( 12 hours ).
Discharge it fully ( leave it overnight in balance mode, leaning up against a wall ).
Repeat 2 or 3 times.

A good battery typically takes 15+ hours to discharge in this way.

Michael

mister_bigtime
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Also make sure base is level when you try to enter balance mode.