PDA

View Full Version : do you carry a cane on your Segway?

Dragan
09-09-2005, 08:57 AM
We have a lot of customers who suffer from MS, and needed a way to carry a cane on the machine without it getting in the way. I've come up with a solution using several RAM mount components that attaches to one of the mounting points on the bars, is very small and out of the way, yet puts the cane vertically in front of the right grip, and easily removed with one hand.

Total retail cost of components is under $50. Canadian, and the mounting components are widely available from RAM dealers. if wanyone wants part numbers, email me and I'll send them to you along with photos of it installed
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

pam
09-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Wayne, would you object to putting a photo up, so it is easily seen here?
Pam

Dragan
09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Not at all Pam. All I need to do is figure out how.
Wayne

www.mysegway.ca

Wallace
09-09-2005, 11:11 AM
I use a common, aluminum, ajustable cane with a padded hand grip - not a Shepherds Crook but, one of those handles with a 45 degree offset and a return bend (a Z shape) which produces a horizontal shaft for a rubber, padded hand hold.

I simply rotate the handle with the "open end" facing forward and hang it over the handlebar just to the right of the GUI lens. The cane hangs down and touches the 25.0 cargo carrier frame where the horizontal pipe goes into the plastic fitting on the CS.

The cane shaft hangs along the side of the CS and rests on the horizontal pipe. It stays in place and is not in the way of my knees or feet.

No additional cost, parts or engineering. It is always available and easy to get at. WORKS FOR ME!

Tripod and ROVER

Dragan
09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
That's pretty much what most of our customers were doing too, but a number of them had issues with the cane falling off when the went over lumps and bumps, or just rattling around incessantly on the bar when the surface was uneven. The RAM mount idea was to give them a secure, non vibrating means of carrying the cane, while still having it easily accessable. Not for everyone, to be sure, but some folks wanted it, so we came up with a solution. I'll try and get some pics up later today.
Wayne

www.mysegway.ca

someday
09-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I have MS and always carry a cane always. I hang an aluminum, padded shepherd's hook over the handles and attach it to the post with two elastic velcro straps. It doesn't rattle. It's out of the way.

Someday

pegg696
09-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I would really be interested in seeing the Pics...

Dave

"I wish I had something intelligent to say." Al Franken SNL