PDA

View Full Version : Katrina refugee solution

fredkap
09-02-2005, 03:14 AM
As I write this the Astrodome has stopped taking additional refugees. Why can't every high school within 1,000 miles take 100 to 200 refugees. Get each high school's parents' groups to cook for these people and get these people clothing and TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!!

Fred

pam
09-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Good question, Fred. We've got a lot of refugees here - although they were able to get out before the storm (to get this far), so they have some resources. The media coverage is heartbreaking. I've offered my home to two different places. We'll see what comes of that. The school I work at is offering free tuition for LA, and MS students who have been displaced from their college work.
Pam

fredkap
09-02-2005, 10:49 AM
People are just trying to flee the city and "renegrade" buses leaving the city are being turned away because everythng has to be planned from the top down. Every high school has a gym and showers and parents' associations that can mobilize to serve soup and food and clothing. Every one of those high schools has buses that could head down and pick up these people.

Next week, we can start thinking about longer term needs such as where these people will live and work, but for now there needs to be a mobilization to get these poor people out of there and meet their basic needs.

Fred