PDA

View Full Version : What Shall We Talk About?

Newman
09-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Excuse Newman, but I can't find a subject in the Off Topic of interest to me. I want to start something, but don't know where to begin.

What is of interest to you guys besides Seggie? There must be something. Off topic on TIQ or DC has ongoing chats about Iraq, UN actions, Foreign Policy etc. Elections are around the corner. Someone stole Newmans lawn sign for his preferred candidate. Jesse the Body Ventura is not running for Governor and says he may return to Pro Wrestling after he gets back in shape.

All for now!

To Infinity and Beyond!

Seg-wager
09-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Hey Newmie, nice to hear from you. Tell those nuts to Give Newmie His Sign Back!!!!!!

Casey
09-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Well Newman, you may not understand this. But we have discussed it, and we do not want to have political and religious threads here. The purpose of this site really is to discuss primarily Segway. We aren't going to hold it that narrowly focussed, but DC, TIQ and a miriad of other sites have those subjects. Most of the threads started so far have stayed pretty much within the bounds of science, inventions etc.

The main Segway Forum will stay fairly true to Segway, but of course ideas develop and it may venture somewhat off course at times, just not too far please. Off topic will have a more open range of subjects, but again, no religion and politics if you don't mind.

Frank

Newman
09-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Well thanks for the reminder Casey. I did not know that or have I heard that until now. Ok, I can deal with antimatter and segway politics and ?

Hi Seg wager!

Sorry casey. Is Segway worship considered religion?

To Infinity and Beyond!

Casey
09-23-2002, 12:31 AM
I tried to respond to your initial quetion as politely as possible. If that offends you, I appologize. But as the title says, this is a site "Dedicated to discussion about the Segway-HT". It is a moderated forum, to try to keep it clean, polite and on topic. You are very welcome here, and please join into our discussions about Segway, its uses and its future evolution.

Frank

charmed
09-23-2002, 12:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Newman

Well thanks for the reminder Casey. I did not know that or have I heard that until now. Ok, I can deal with antimatter and segway politics and ?

Hi Seg wager!

Sorry casey. Is Segway worship considered religion?

To Infinity and Beyond!

Pretty funny, Newman. I think you'll find that if you start a thread here in off-topic even remotely related to Segway it will be generally well received. Politics and religion, well, I'm sure you understand what Casey's saying. There are plenty of places to discuss these topics. No need to get emotions flaring down at the friendly Segway chat site, too.

And, not, Segway enthusiasm is not considered a religion around here, not yet, anyway. Once everyone gets a chance to ride one, all bets are off.

Newman
09-23-2002, 02:57 PM
I hear ya, I honestly didn't know I was wandering into taboo land.

How about Geeks-vs-Jocks? Dean wants to form the Olympic Committee of Smarts. I would try out, but don't think I will make the cut.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Casey
09-23-2002, 03:38 PM
I would find that interesting if it is what it sounds like. I've heard Kamen make the comparison between science and sports. From what you say he is wanting some kind of competition in that respect. Is that correct?

Frank

Newman
09-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Case, that came from the National Geographic show. Dean doesn't like the fact that kids look up to athletes. he also stated something like it's almost worse than terrorism what we are doing to children. He wants to have kids cooperate on science projects and look up to scientists.

Side note: Nocan and others, I am not here to cause trouble. Nocan You must have an overactive case of paranoia. PS, thanks for coming to the Cabal to flame me. Also, thanks for telling everyone at TIQ, that we suck. You may some day realize that you have to watch your mouth.

Sorry to be an @ss, but I might as well get to the source. :)

To Infinity and Beyond!

Brooster
09-23-2002, 06:01 PM
Now boys, let's keep it friendly and not get too carried away here. I'm not a moderator here, but I AM one of the original few members of this board ... and if I may, I'd like to try to bring some peace to all concerned.

I think there has to be some sort of happy medium here, guys, but we're not gonna find it by bickering back and forth, letting it spill into the DC, etc. I can see Newman's point to a certain extent ... he did come in and ask if anyone wanted to talk politics here in the OT area. On most boards, "Off-Topic" means just what it says.

I can also appreciate the original intent behind this board, and the wishes of the moderators. Personally, I'd rather see politics and religion kept off this board altogether as well. There's indeed more-than-adequate room in the designated areas for that at the DC, and in Off-Topic TIQ. We've seen what happens when the politics/religion thing spills over into the main subject area at TIQ, and I think it's precisely that sort of thing that the moderators here are trying to prevent. And let's face it ... it's their board, just like DC is Pappy's and J10's. I think we need to be thankful that we have this place, and be respectful of the admin's and moderators' wishes.

Newman, I do think the guys here have made an effort to be polite, and I do think you have made an effort to be polite in return. But somehow the tempers seem to be flaring a bit with these last few posts both here and at DC. I propose that we respect Pappy and J10 (and the rest at DC) and keep it out of DC.

Again, I think there can be a happy medium. I don't think we should be expected to keep the OT area here absolutely free of anything not related to Segway ... after all, that's what OT is. But I don't think it's unreasonable to try to keep SegChat's OT "generally directed" toward science, technology, invention, or anything else that's in some way "ancillary" to the main topic or the Ginger/IT/Segway community.

A little understanding on both sides will go a long way toward maintaining the "intended spitit" of the site and the satisfaction of its members.

Just my 2¢. I hope my ¢ make sense. :)

See ya later ... I'm goin' sailin'.

Broo

Brooster

Casey
09-23-2002, 06:11 PM
quote:Personally, I'd rather see politics and religion kept off this board altogether

Your wish is our command. [8D]

Frank

ftropea
09-23-2002, 09:01 PM
All points are being considered.. I appreciate the fact you're talking about it. But you know... I'm sitting here thinking - if there is something you need to talk about that isn't Segway related, why are you here in the first place?

There is this "spill over" OT forum.. but it's not going to be like TIQ or DC's forums. If you want to talk about politics/religion or other non-Segway or non-science/invention related topics, you could use TIQ's OT area, for example. Heck, you could use TIQ's MAIN area from what I understand! ;)

Newman, you have a lot of interesting ideas from the little I've read (your TIQ posts)... and I know you're a smart guy.. so I know you understand the purpose of this site.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Newman
09-23-2002, 11:41 PM
I understand full well, the rules and thanks to Broo for helping to settle down the situation. I guess it all boils down to nocan and I having some kind of bone to pick with one another. Of course there is no place to talk it out and Nocan I never flamed you at DC. I simply reported how you said everyone sucked at TIQ. Anyway I'm sorry for the heated discussion. I would like to patch things up with nocan too, if he can go along with that.

Now back to our regularly scheduled off topic discussion.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Brooster
09-23-2002, 11:59 PM
Newman, NoCan told ONE PERSON at TIQ that he sucked ... and it wasn't you.

Frank T. has solved the whole problem by re-naming what used to be the "OT" area of this board. I'd like all of this to come to an end.

Edit: Upon re-reading the offending TIQ post, I see that it reads "you who suck" as opposed to "you who sucks." I see what led you to your conclusion Newman, but it's a matter of semantics, and my gut feel is that it was directed primarily toward the person who originally said "Segway sucks;" not toward you, or the community in general.

Kapish? <I don't know how the hell that's spelled, LOL>

;)

Broo

Brooster

Seg-wager
09-24-2002, 03:35 AM
I think it's capiche, not sure tho. ;) Oh, yeah...no Arts, Frank? Tech is all art if you ask me...gee whiz...

Brooster
09-24-2002, 03:43 AM
Well, whatever it is ... LOL

Thanks Seg-wager.

:)

Brooster

ftropea
09-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Ok, I agree Seg-wager :) See, we're accomodating here!

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

terryp
12-22-2002, 03:29 PM
I keep seeing references to a National Geographic documentary on Dean Kamen. Does anyone know if this is available somewhere for those of us who missed it?

Casey
12-22-2002, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by terryp

I keep seeing references to a National Geographic documentary on Dean Kamen. Does anyone know if this is available somewhere for those of us who missed it?

Frank Tropea, the owner and administrator of SegwayChat appeared on the NG program. When he returns from his Segway training in Manchester he should be able to tell you where if anyplace you might view that.

In the mean time if you go to the SegwayChat Home Page and click on "Slide Shows" under "Other Features" you can see some slides of it.